Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brady fined 10k for slide vs. Ravens
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bears2308

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was out of instinct. What don't players get fined for nowadays?
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well deserved, it didn't look an accident at all.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminded me of a slide into 2nd base to blow up a double play. That being said, I could see a person raising their leg like that to protect themselves if they thought someone was falling on them. Given the subjectivity of the slide/kick/whatever, the fine seems appropriate IMO. The Ravens won and Reed wasn't injured...I've moved on.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
Meh, considering Brady doesn't have any on or off the field issues I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that slide. It was stupid on his part to do it, no discussion there but I don't think he is the type to want to injure another player.

Yeah, I think there are some folks who are COMPLETELY blowing this out of proportion. OMGZ, he could of hurt Ed Reed on that play!!11!!!1!

Guess what, it's FOOTBALL. People get hurt.

There are some who freak out about a QB who is sliding and extending a leg, calling it a career altering/career ending/life altering injury...yet to many of those SAME folks, Ed Reed can wield his head and helmet as a wrecking ball at someone else's head, and the league taking ANY sort of stand on that suddenly means we're going to switch to flag football and Goodell is ruining the sport and is a greedy punk who is taking all the money?

Seems a bit conflicted. Make up your mind, guys.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what happened was, because Tom Brady runs so slowly, his brain goes into a trance-like state when he starts running, but this time when he went into the slide, something malfunctioned and his trance was broken later than normal, so even after he went down, his brain kept telling his legs to move.

... That's my theory. What've you got?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
Babylon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that vicious play where he ran full speed and tried to barrel that poor umpire over!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
The Third Rider wrote:
Meh, considering Brady doesn't have any on or off the field issues I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that slide. It was stupid on his part to do it, no discussion there but I don't think he is the type to want to injure another player.

Yeah, I think there are some folks who are COMPLETELY blowing this out of proportion. OMGZ, he could of hurt Ed Reed on that play!!11!!!1!

There are some who freak out about a QB who is sliding and extending a leg, calling it a career altering/career ending/life altering injury...yet to many of those SAME folks, Ed Reed can wield his head and helmet as a wrecking ball at someone else's head, and the league taking ANY sort of stand on that suddenly means we're going to switch to flag football and Goodell is ruining the sport and is a greedy punk who is taking all the money?

That's not the point. Defensive players get flagged nowadays for breathing on offensive players, but when offensive players do something that appears to be intentional they should be "given the benefit of the doubt"? Defensive players get penalized AND flagged for offensive players ducking into H2H hits that would've been completely clean had they not ducked into them, but offensive players shouldn't be held accountable for their "reactions"?

I think no.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
The Third Rider wrote:

That's not the point. Defensive players get flagged nowadays for breathing on offensive players, but when offensive players do something that appears to be intentional they should be "given the benefit of the doubt"? Defensive players get penalized AND flagged for offensive players ducking into H2H hits that would've been completely clean had they not ducked into them, but offensive players shouldn't be held accountable for their "reactions"?

I think no.

What are you even complaining about? The guy was fined. It's no different than when a defender does something. I STRONGLY doubt Brady was thinking about kicking and hurting Reed while he was sliding, just as I doubt guys like Reed are thinking about taking someone's head off when they hit them.

Anyway, for the people complaining about the Gore fine, isn't it because Gore is a repeat offender? I don't think Brady has been fined before so that's the way it works.

ELRammy
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Reminded me of a slide into 2nd base to blow up a double play. That being said, I could see a person raising their leg like that to protect themselves if they thought someone was falling on them. Given the subjectivity of the slide/kick/whatever, the fine seems appropriate IMO. The Ravens won and Reed wasn't injured...I've moved on.

You're the only one. I won't be satisfied until Brady is banned from the NFL after this crap he pulled. I heard he had a knife in his turf shoe.

ELRammy
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So $10k for the slide and Gore gets $10,500 for wearing his socks too low.

This league is such a joke. Laughing

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

That's not the point. Defensive players get flagged nowadays for breathing on offensive players,

Brady got fined for it, so what is wrong here?

Quote:
but when offensive players do something that appears to be intentional they should be "given the benefit of the doubt"?

I only give Brady the benefit of the doubt on whether there was a malicious intent behind that slide. If in 12 seasons his worst offense is a "could have injured a player on a bad slide", then yes, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Defensive players get penalized AND flagged for offensive players ducking into H2H hits that would've been completely clean had they not ducked into them, but offensive players shouldn't be held accountable for their "reactions"?

I think no.

I think most people here agree that Brady deserves the fine, even if he didn't actually injure anyone. Now I don't disagree that there is a double standard between how the NFL treats both the Offense and Defense. However, the problem is people acting all outraged that "it could have ended Reed's career" and other hyperbole when he himself takes many and even worst shots at other players. Heck I have even seen Reed take worst hits and never heard such outrageous comments about those hits.

*Actual time may vary.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
The Third Rider wrote:

That's not the point. Defensive players get flagged nowadays for breathing on offensive players, but when offensive players do something that appears to be intentional they should be "given the benefit of the doubt"?

How is he given the benefit of anything? Guy just had to write a $10,000 check. Over the course of a 10+ year career this is his first fine, and it's on par with what other first time offenders have been fined for.

If anything, Brady wasn't given the benefit in comparison to others. He was held to the same standards as his peers was - which is what we all want, right?

Quote:
Defensive players get penalized AND flagged for offensive players ducking into H2H hits that would've been completely clean had they not ducked into them, but offensive players shouldn't be held accountable for their "reactions"?

I think no.

Is he or is he not getting fined? I'd call that being held accountable.

You talk about the penalty and flags, but how many times have we seen no flags hit the field, but a FedEx letter sent after the fact? Antonio Smith was fined for his W1 altercation with Richie Incognito, where Smith started to stomp on Incognito's head and shoulders while both players were on the ground. Smith was fined $11,000 for that. Now, was there a flag on that play, a play that had MORE malicious intent then a Johnny Cage-esque slide? Nope.

There are times in which refs don't throw the flag. Not just on these plays, but MANY plays.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
green24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember how all hell broke loose when Ndamukong Suh did a similar thing.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the guys who responded to my post:

That's exactly my point - Brady was held to the same standards as other people. I'm saying that to the people who think it wasn't malicious - that's not the point. The point is that it was dangerous, so he should be held to the same standards that other people are, and he was.

I guess I just kind of worded it in a confusing way, sowwy Cool
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
So $10k for the slide and Gore gets $10,500 for wearing his socks too low.

This league is such a joke. Laughing

$10k for a 1st time offense for a potentially dangerous slide.

$10.5k for a 2nd violation of dress code.

Seems about right to me.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: