Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AZ's pre-combine mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: AZ's pre-combine mock Reply with quote

Resign
Lance Louis
Henry Melton
Nick Roach
Kelvin Hayden
Jon Scott
Nate Collins
Kahlil Bell
Israel Idonije
Zack Bowman
Julius Peppers (restructure)

Cut
Kellen Davis
Matt Spaeth
Devin Hester

FA
Jermon Bushrod
Anthony Fasano
Matt Moore

Draft
1. Johnathan Banks, CB, Miss. St. - Tillman is entering his 11th season and both he and Jennings are UFA after next season. I was torn between he and Xavier Rhodes but ultimately felt like Banks is more ready right now. I picture Banks on the outside with Jennings in the slot in nickel packages.

2. Arthur Brown, MLB, Kansas St. - We need to replace Urlacher and Brown has big time talent. Bringing Roach back gives us a safety net in the event that Brown isn't ready to start at MLB from day 1, and in that scenario I see Brown starting at SLB until he is ready.

4. Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford - He's a good blocker with very good hands who probably doesn't have the speed to stretch the seam frequently but certainly has the talent to move the chains, and the skill set to contribute sooner than later. Bringing in Fasano on what i expect would be a short deal will give us a proven vet to fill a similar role while Toilolo transitions.

5. Tavarres King, WR, Georgia - King is a field stretching WR with experience as a returner. I would expect him to have an immediate impact there and in 4 WR sets.

6. Brian Schwenke, C, Cal - All but the top centers tend to slide on draft day and I think Schwenke is no different. I see him as a good prospect to step in for Garza by 2014.

Depth Chart
QB: Cutler, Moore, Blanchard
RB: Forte, Bush, Bell
FB: Rodriguez
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, King, Weems, Anderson
TE: Fasano, Toilolo, Adams
LT: Bushrod
LG: Carimi/J. Brown
C: Garza, Schwenke
RG: Louis
RT: Scott/Webb

DE: Peppers, Wootton, Idonije, McClellin
DT: Melton, Paea, Collins, Idonije
OLB: Briggs, Brown/Roach, Castonzo, JT Thomas
MLB: Brown/Roach
CB: Tillman, Jennings, Banks, Hayden, Bowman, McCoy
S: Conte, Wright, Hardin, Walters

K Gould
P Podlesh
LS Mannelly

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks is probably a good value at 20, but I cannot see a team that just fired their head coach because the offense has been terrible for a couple of weeks investing their top 2 picks on the defense.

I think with the firing of Lovie and the hiring of Trestman this team is going to make a serious investment in the offense.

An OL that features Jon Scott and Gabe Carimi starting is not better enough than last season. I know we disagree about Carimi, but to go into a season with Carimi and Brown starting at LG is not good enough.

We only improve in 1 position [LT] on a line that was terrible last season and now we want to pass more.

The Fasano signing is a solid low money deal that could upgrade a position.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if we go defense in the 1st round I think we need to invest in the OL. The OL needs new blood, new talent and upgrades because we have invested time in the guys we have and they are not any good.

1. Defense

2. OG Larry Warford [Kentucky]

We now have a powerful LG that can anchor the pocket and someone to build around that is not a bust at RT and an UDFA.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status on Knox?

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure what Fasano’s market would be but unless we are grabbing him on the cheap I don’t think he would be a good enough upgrade for what we will look to do at the TE position…I like the other two FA pickups a lot…

Banks is one of my favourite players for our D in this draft but I struggle to see us going CB in round 1 given how well our starters played last year…I totally agree that we need to start building for the future but I just don’t see us going in that direction…Brown was great at KSU but his major struggle at Miami always worries me a little...I like him but are weary at the same time…Toilolo would be a decent add…King is a great route runner but plays soft altho for the 4 receiver sets you describe I reckon he would be a good deep threat complement…I really like Schwenke after watching him in the senior bowl practices I went and watched Cal against Ohio State & Washington…he won’t make it past the 4th in a weak centre class…

My biggest concern here would be the lack of a new LG…I think we are in desperate need of a new starter there as I have little faith in Carimi as a full time starter at LG.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
I’m not sure what Fasano’s market would be but unless we are grabbing him on the cheap I don’t think he would be a good enough upgrade for what we will look to do at the TE position…I like the other two FA pickups a lot…

Banks is one of my favourite players for our D in this draft but I struggle to see us going CB in round 1 given how well our starters played last year…I totally agree that we need to start building for the future but I just don’t see us going in that direction…Brown was great at KSU but his major struggle at Miami always worries me a little...I like him but are weary at the same time…Toilolo would be a decent add…King is a great route runner but plays soft altho for the 4 receiver sets you describe I reckon he would be a good deep threat complement…I really like Schwenke after watching him in the senior bowl practices I went and watched Cal against Ohio State & Washington…he won’t make it past the 4th in a weak centre class…

My biggest concern here would be the lack of a new LG…I think we are in desperate need of a new starter there as I have little faith in Carimi as a full time starter at LG.

The LG concern is one shared by many (including myself) but Trestman also cut down sacks in MTL by 60% with largely the same personnel his first year there, and may look to go more that route. Also, Kromer has had a lot of success in taking college OTs and making them stud OGs, and my thought is that both Carimi and James Brown are strong candidates to fit that bill. Adding Bushrod should improve both OT positions. As for CB we could possibly be looking at both of those guys being gone after next year but almost certainly one of them IMO, and I'd rather have a good player in hand instead of having to scramble next offseason. Can't have too many good CBs playing ARod and Stafford 4 games a year. Emery says he goes BPA and Banks may very well be BPA there anyway.

I don't see Fasano as a great TE but he is a virtual guarantee for 35-40 catches and 5 TD based on his history which is double what we got from Davis. He is a professional TE who I think will come pretty cheap on a 2-3 year deal, with Toilolo taking over the #1 spot sooner than later. FWIW I see Toilolo being a factor right away too. I also think the slot WR will be more involved in the WCO than under Tice with the 50-60 combined TE catches I expect from Fasano and Toilolo being plenty.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConVict90 wrote:
What's the status on Knox?

I have him not being resigned but outside of this mock I don't see him playing again. That was a catastrophic spine injury.

GRRLacher wrote:
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

The LG concern is one shared by many (including myself) but Trestman also cut down sacks in MTL by 60% with largely the same personnel his first year there, and may look to go more that route. Also, Kromer has had a lot of success in taking college OTs and making them stud OGs, and my thought is that both Carimi and James Brown are strong candidates to fit that bill. Adding Bushrod should improve both OT positions. As for CB we could possibly be looking at both of those guys being gone after next year but almost certainly one of them IMO, and I'd rather have a good player in hand instead of having to scramble next offseason. Can't have too many good CBs playing ARod and Stafford 4 games a year. Emery says he goes BPA and Banks may very well be BPA there anyway.

I don't see Fasano as a great TE but he is a virtual guarantee for 35-40 catches and 5 TD based on his history which is double what we got from Davis. He is a professional TE who I think will come pretty cheap on a 2-3 year deal, with Toilolo taking over the #1 spot sooner than later. FWIW I see Toilolo being a factor right away too. I also think the slot WR will be more involved in the WCO than under Tice with the 50-60 combined TE catches I expect from Fasano and Toilolo being plenty.

As much as Trestman cutting down the sacks with his scheme and the same personnel is impressive I don’t think it will be as easy to do that at the NFL level and I can't see the same happening if we don't add talent up front…Kromer has done a great job of taking guys from college LT and moving them into OG but I’m just not sold he can do the same here with guys who will have already developed habits in the pros under Tice…all the guys Kromer made a success of where guys who had only worked with him at the pro level and it is much more difficult to unlearn a bad habit than to learn a new good habit.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Banks is probably a good value at 20, but I cannot see a team that just fired their head coach because the offense has been terrible for a couple of weeks investing their top 2 picks on the defense.

I think with the firing of Lovie and the hiring of Trestman this team is going to make a serious investment in the offense.

An OL that features Jon Scott and Gabe Carimi starting is not better enough than last season. I know we disagree about Carimi, but to go into a season with Carimi and Brown starting at LG is not good enough.

We only improve in 1 position [LT] on a line that was terrible last season and now we want to pass more.

The Fasano signing is a solid low money deal that could upgrade a position.

Like I said replying to MM I think both Carimi and Brown are both candidates for what Kromer likes to do moving OTs inside to guard. I don't see Cooper or Warmack being there in round 1 and I don't know that the round 2 candidates are any more promising than the guys we already have who are still developing (can't forget that both Carimi (essentially) and Brown were rookies last year). We need to improve the OL and we do in this mock but we need to improve other areas too. Every player I have us adding in FA is on offense.

GRRLacher wrote:
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

As much as Trestman cutting down the sacks with his scheme and the same personnel is impressive I don’t think it will be as easy to do that at the NFL level and I can't see the same happening if we don't add talent up front…Kromer has done a great job of taking guys from college LT and moving them into OG but I’m just not sold he can do the same here with guys who will have already developed habits in the pros under Tice…all the guys Kromer made a success of where guys who had only worked with him at the pro level and it is much more difficult to unlearn a bad habit than to learn a new good habit.

We don't know that they got "bad habits" last year though from the outside. Tice was a good OL coach but he wasn't the OL coach last year, or at least not primarily. Putting those guys at LG next to a real LT would go a long way in helping them out too.

GRRLacher wrote:
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trestman has the highest paid and most talented OL in the CFL.

They pay huge money to take Canadian playing in US colleges so they ignore the NFL.

Trestman is not an OP miracle worker he believes in investing in the position.

And those playing the Carimi health card, week 17 of the season this year when he was benched was 16 months after he hurt his knee.

After 16 months this is what he is, BAD.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

We don't know that they got "bad habits" last year though from the outside. Tice was a good OL coach but he wasn't the OL coach last year, or at least not primarily. Putting those guys at LG next to a real LT would go a long way in helping them out too.

I think their play...and most of the Oline for that matter would point to that...it will be interesting to see what Kromer does but I just can't see us not adding an OG early.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

I think their play...and most of the Oline for that matter would point to that...it will be interesting to see what Kromer does but I just can't see us not adding an OG early.

And I certainly wouldn't oppose that, but we have a lot of needs and not a lot of picks.

GRRLacher wrote:
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

And I certainly wouldn't oppose that, but we have a lot of needs and not a lot of picks.

Agreed.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

But we have 1 position that has been holding this team back and has gotten a GM and HC fired.

We have a lot of needs.

But we have 1 Achilles heel and that is the OL.

Coaching cannot fix a talent void and that is what we have. We literally have nothing at LG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: