Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft top 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking defensive players will be hard for me to do right now because of the questions about how the system will operate and what type of player Todd Bowles and his staff will covet. It might take a year or two to get his mindset down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Picking defensive players will be hard for me to do right now because of the questions about how the system will operate and what type of player Todd Bowles and his staff will covet. It might take a year or two to get his mindset down.

Chicken Smile

Stick your neck out, so we can criticize you !
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, fair enough. If we're simply talking players we like, in any round, I start with my man DJ Swearinger. I think he's phenomenal and if he measured and times faster would be a 1st round lock. Combine will be huge for him IMO. I also really like Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree and Sean Porter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am warming to Porter.

Still think he is more 4-3 than 3-4 as he played at A&M.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
I am warming to Porter.

I agree 100%. I just love the kid's game. Put on any A&M tape and I promise you'll see him around the ball the entire time he's on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
I am warming to Porter.

He could fit here.. they're been saying its going to be a hybrid scheme we use..
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
I am warming to Porter.

He could fit here.. they're been saying its going to be a hybrid scheme we use..

Depends on what kind of hybrid we're talking about. People never acknowledge it but we were not a base 3-4 team last year. Khodder has backed me up numbers wise, this team last season was a nickel base team. Our 3-4 sets were more of a secondary hybrid thing to this defense. If that's the kind of hybrid we use, Porter isn't an ideal fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
iRobot wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
I am warming to Porter.

Depends on what kind of hybrid we're talking about. People never acknowledge it but we were not a base 3-4 team last year. Khodder has backed me up numbers wise, this team last season was a nickel base team. Our 3-4 sets were more of a secondary hybrid thing to this defense. If that's the kind of hybrid we use, Porter isn't an ideal fit.

Pure speculation from Urban but he was saying that Dockett mentioned BA and their discussion was that of a 4-3 type with hybrid looks in recently blog article from Urban.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see us running 4-3 as base

Maybe occasionally, not full time

We are not staffed for that, unless this is a complete rebuild half way through a rebuild, that was built on a small retool after 3 previous rebuilds.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
iRobot wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
I am warming to Porter.

To break it down;

When we played San Francisco we went very 3-4 heavy. Dan Williams played a lot of snaps and both our OLB's lined up in 2 point stances to enable them to do a myriad of things.

In nearly every other game our base was a combination of the 2-4-5/3-3-5/4-2-5. Essentially difference nickel packages. There were plenty of times when both Acho/Schofield/Groves/Whomever was as OLB had their hand in the dirt essentially playing a 9 tech role on 3rd downs. We had times when one OLB was playing from a 3 point and the other was playing from a 2 point stance. We had times when both OLB's were playing from a 2 point stance.

Bottom line if I had to put a guess on it I would say we were in a nickel set ~50-55% of the time we were on the field defenisvely this season. Add in another 5% when we were in dime/quarters personnel.

This is illustrated by the fact that we had (if we combine Fleming/Toler into one DB for these purposes, and essentially they were, Toler injured Early, Fleming not playing late) three corners play over 550 snaps on defense and we had only two players on the DL play more than 500 defensive snaps.

Dan Williams played 39% of our defensive snaps in 2012.

Look at our LB's too; Lenon and Washington both over 1000 snaps, Acho and Groves+Schofield (Injury step in) all over 950 defensive snaps.

Our D basically did three things; 3-4 (~40%) Nickel (~55%) and Other Subpackage (~5%)

To Paint a Picture;

Dan Williams Week 17 - 45 Snaps (67%)
5th DB Week 17 - 32 Snaps (47%)

Dan Williams Week 8 - 39 snaps (72%)
5th DB Week 8 - 10 snaps (18%)

Contrast that with Week 2 in which Dan Williams played 7 snaps and our 5th DB (Jamell Fleming) played 78 of 80 defensive snaps.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
sunnysouth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
LOL, fair enough. If we're simply talking players we like, in any round, I start with my man DJ Swearinger. I think he's phenomenal and if he measured and times faster would be a 1st round lock. Combine will be huge for him IMO. I also really like Kevin Minter, Alec Ogletree and Sean Porter.

Glad to hear some one else likes Ogletree. Watch alot of GA games and he just makes plays all game long. Love this guy so I know we wont get him. If I could pick one LB for the team this year it would be Ogletree.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnysouth wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Glad to hear some one else likes Ogletree. Watch alot of GA games and he just makes plays all game long. Love this guy so I know we wont get him. If I could pick one LB for the team this year it would be Ogletree.

Completely and utterly disagree. Give me Kevin Minter.

In Ogletree I see an athlete who can get from sideline to sideline with ease, but does not play downhill well, does not wrap up well, does not work off blocks, or maneuvre around blocks well.

Not a fan of Ogletree lacks far too many fundamentals of linebacking for me to really be a fan.

DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minter is greater than Ogletree as a football player, otherway round for athlete.

We want football players, not athletes.

No point running a 4.2 40 if you cannot catch or tackle when you get there.

Better to be 4.6 and make the play
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not as big on Ogletree as I am on other LB.

1. Kevin Minter
2. Khaseem Greene
3. Manti Te'o
4. Arthur Brown
5. Ogletree

Obviously those rankings would vary based on scheme but that's how I rank them as far as their pure ability to play LB. This is a really good class of LB this year.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Brown is a heck of a LB, more than one guy I respect as a draft analyst has him as the best LB in the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: