Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders Hire Tony Sparano to be O-line / Assistant HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
holyghost wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Don't they just give them those extra titles as a form of protection? I thought I read that somewhere.....

Yes. It blocks lateral moves. Face to palm for anyone thinking otherwise, titles are meaningless and often created to play pseudo political staff games.

OK thanks for confirming. So the logic I get from this is we are protecting this dude to be our line coach for quite some time....

I dunno about how long, but the length of his contract anyway.
holyghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac505 wrote:
holyghost wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Don't they just give them those extra titles as a form of protection? I thought I read that somewhere.....

Yes. It blocks lateral moves. Face to palm for anyone thinking otherwise, titles are meaningless and often created to play pseudo political staff games.

While I agree with that being the big reason for naming an Assitant HC...
I would have to say it must give him some greater power than just Oline coach, otherwise why would he sign it?

IF he signed just as oline coach does well he can get promoted to a OC next year maybe... Because he signed as a AHC, he can't be promoted to OC... because AHC is above OC IIRC

So your saying he signed as an assistant head coach for no other reason than to limit his chance at a promotion?

No, that is not what I am saying. So go back and read what I said.

I said LATERAL moves. Which means leaving to be an Oline guy with another team. Honestly, I don't even get why they bother. NFL allows teams to block lateral moves anyway, but this could be our way of not playing the bad guy in blocking him. Or it may have been something Sparano wanted, a way to pressure another team in the future into making his promotion more significant.

Either way, it's a totally stupid title. It really doesn't mean much in football terms other than the fact that if something happened to Dennis Allen like illness, Sparano is the interim HC by default.
dmac505

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
holyghost wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

I would have to say it must give him some greater power than just Oline coach, otherwise why would he sign it?

IF he signed just as oline coach does well he can get promoted to a OC next year maybe... Because he signed as a AHC, he can't be promoted to OC... because AHC is above OC IIRC

So your saying he signed as an assistant head coach for no other reason than to limit his chance at a promotion?

I said LATERAL moves. Which means leaving to be an Oline guy with another team. Honestly, I don't even get why they bother. NFL allows teams to block lateral moves anyway, but this could be our way of not playing the bad guy in blocking him. Or it may have been something Sparano wanted, a way to pressure another team in the future into making his promotion more significant.

Either way, it's a totally stupid title. It really doesn't mean much in football terms other than the fact that if something happened to Dennis Allen like illness, Sparano is the interim HC by default.

Im aware it blocks lateral moves.
Im asking if it would also block a move to OC?

because IIRC AHC and oline coach is seen in the NFL as above an OC
I may be wrong though
macklemore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good hire, Idk why everyone is so geeked over an o-line coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac505 wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
This has to be false. If I'm to understand here, Allen has no connections and is in over his head. Acquiring a talent like Sparano isn't feasible for HC who is so bad and has no connections.

Side note:

Notice none of the DA is the worst ever crown are posting in here?

Laughing Laughing

There you go
If hiring an assistant head coach doesn't scare you. Then you're oblivious.

why would hiring an AHC scare you?
A young HC saying he needs help (any young HC does) is a positive and will only help his development

It's not the position of assistant head coach that scares me it's the person.
Tony was hand picked by Bill Parcells to be HC of Miami. He's more qualified to be the Raiders HC then DA.
holyghost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
This has to be false. If I'm to understand here, Allen has no connections and is in over his head. Acquiring a talent like Sparano isn't feasible for HC who is so bad and has no connections.

Side note:

Laughing Laughing

There you go

A young HC saying he needs help (any young HC does) is a positive and will only help his development

Tony was hand picked by Bill Parcells to be HC of Miami. He's more qualified to be the Raiders HC then DA.

Maybe, but that was before he failed as HC there then failed again at OC of the Jets. You're talking about a point in recent history that has been altered by now by events that followed. Besides, I wouldn't want Sparano to follow Allen should Allen get canned. Not that I get any say, but that's not where I'd like to see this team take aim with a HC replacement.
Chali21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:

He's an experienced coach as oline and a head coach. I'm means that we are moving in a good direction.
CaribouLou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this hire. Power blocking scheme, former HC, offensive hire, experience, mustache, name is almost Tony Soprano.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
bitty wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Side note:

Laughing Laughing

There you go

Maybe, but that was before he failed as HC there then failed again at OC of the Jets. You're talking about a point in recent history that has been altered by now by events that followed. Besides, I wouldn't want Sparano to follow Allen should Allen get canned. Not that I get any say, but that's not where I'd like to see this team take aim with a HC replacement.

+1

Sparono hasn't really done anything since his first year in Miami. Yeah he was in the AFC east but he still should have been better with the talent and coaching he had.
bitty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
bitty wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
bitty wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Side note:

Laughing Laughing

There you go

It's not about us I don't like him as a HC either.
It's about who the players respect and who they listen to.
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone make the deal with it gif with Sparano and his sunlgasses Laughing
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaribouLou wrote:
Love this hire. Power blocking scheme, former HC, offensive hire, experience, mustache, name is almost Tony Soprano.

cool thats all i needed to know Cool

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac505 wrote:
holyghost wrote:
dmac505 wrote:
holyghost wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:

Im aware it blocks lateral moves.
Im asking if it would also block a move to OC?

because IIRC AHC and oline coach is seen in the NFL as above an OC
I may be wrong though

Yeah, i thought the title of AHC meant you could only be hired away as a HC. I could be wrong though.
And that's a good hire. As a HC or OC, he isn't good but as a OL coach, he's fine.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing on Sparano as a HC/OC. It's ALL about the QB. People need to start realizing this.

2008 - 11-5 with Chad Pennington
2009 and 2010 - 7-9 With Henne
2011 - Fired at 4-9 when the team was coming on with Moore.

2012 - Jets OC with Sanchez at QB.

It's easy to say he was a bad HC/OC, but reality is without a good QB the results are not going to be there.

Miami was winning with Defense and a gimmick wildcat for a good stretch. The Jets were just terrible top to bottom on offense. Bad QB, bad RBs, Bad WRs.

People SERIOUSLY underestimate how important a QB is to making a coach look good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macklemore wrote:

Totally. I mean anybody can coach these gods of blocking we call our OLine. Sparano's experience mean nothing even though he is being made assistant HC.

[/sarcasm]

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: