Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Superbowl Sabotage: Bears angle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Superbowl Sabotage: Bears angle Reply with quote

By now everyone should have heard about Tim Brown's comments that Bill Callahan sabotaged the Raiders in the SuperBowl

According to Brown, the gameplan that was installed that week, wasn't what they did in the SuperBowl. John Richie and Jerry Rice have also confirmed this. The story told by the Bucs has always been they knew the plays being called at the line b/c the Raiders had not changed their verbage since Jon Gruden had left.

In addition there are now reports that Bill Callahan left practice in the week and made it known he didn't want to be there w/ the Raiders.

What does this have to do w/ the Bears you ask? Well the Raiders O/C in that SuperBowl was none other than Bears HC Marc Trestman. Bears OC Aaron Kromer was also on that staff as well. It sounds as if Trestman and Kromer will be asked about it today down in Mobile.

Kind of wondering what everyone's take on this is?

Also Roger Goddell will address this next week at his annual state of the NFL PC in NO. It is being reported the NFL will begin an investigation of this matter.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just seems like Tim Brown is [inappropriate/removed] about losing.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
If it was just Tim Brown, I'd be 100% right w/ you. The fact that others are confirming everything Tim Brown said, that makes it a story w/ legs.

DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
If it was just Tim Brown, I'd be 100% right w/ you. The fact that others are confirming everything Tim Brown said, that makes it a story w/ legs.
It doesn't mean they tanked the game. It could just mean they made adjustments on game day. I don't think they had much of a chance anyway in that game. That TB team was good.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a bunch of bull. Which coach in their right mind would tank the Superbowl? No one would have anything to gain from doing that unless they were involved in a sports betting ring of some sort, which I highly, highly doubt is something Callahan would have been involved in.

I'm not saying the players aren't right in saying that Callahan altered the game plan just days before the Super Bowl, but to say he did that with the intent of losing and trying to sabotage the team is just ridiculous. To me all of this says is that some of those Raiders just didn't like Callahan to begin with.

Bottom line is that Tim Brown is just a straight up jerk and idiot. Last week he chirped the Bears for hiring Trestman because he didn't see him being head coach material. I don't care to believe anything he says really. No wonder he longer works for Fox sports anymore as a football analyst. He has no credibility.

As far as Trestman's involvement in all of this, I'm quite certain he had some input on the offensive gameplan being the OC at the time, but the final say most likely came down to Callahan so let's just end it at that.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc Trestman has refused comment

Top-The gameplan didn't change days before the SuperBowl, it changed at kickoff. The players had prepared all week to run the football, then they threw it 60+ times. Jerry Rice has also said he believed that Callahan sabotaged it. Rice has actually made the most damning comments about the issue.

This story isn't going away anytime soon.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Superbowl Sabotage: Bears angle Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
By now everyone should have heard about Tim Brown's comments that Bill Callahan sabotaged the Raiders in the SuperBowl

According to Brown, the gameplan that was installed that week, wasn't what they did in the SuperBowl. John Richie and Jerry Rice have also confirmed this. The story told by the Bucs has always been they knew the plays being called at the line b/c the Raiders had not changed their verbage since Jon Gruden had left.

In addition there are now reports that Bill Callahan left practice in the week and made it known he didn't want to be there w/ the Raiders.

What does this have to do w/ the Bears you ask? Well the Raiders O/C in that SuperBowl was none other than Bears HC Marc Trestman. Bears OC Aaron Kromer was also on that staff as well. It sounds as if Trestman and Kromer will be asked about it today down in Mobile.

Kind of wondering what everyone's take on this is?

Also Roger Goddell will address this next week at his annual state of the NFL PC in NO. It is being reported the NFL will begin an investigation of this matter.
Tim Brown must have been hit in the head too many times. I'll believe this crap when Scrooge McDuck gives his fortune away to charity.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty evident that Tim Brown is a bitter guy after reading his comments about Marc Trestman.

I think it would also be fair to categorize Bill Callahan's decision to radically change the gameplan 2 days prior to the Super Bowl as bizarre.

My first question is if the gameplan was really changed prior to (and possibly causing) Robbins going AWOL or if the change was in fact a response to that situation. Even though Robbins reportedly begged him not to make the change its tough to know what is fact and what is fiction.

Either way, the game plan change still seems bizarre. My gut feeling is the idea of Callahan tanking the game may simply be the only way certain guys to rationalize his seemingly nonsensical behavior.

Honestly given how bitter Brown is its not surprising the story started with him. I doubt it was intentional, just moronic on the part of Callahan.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
But why would they tank the SB? What is there to gain?
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
It was pretty evident that Tim Brown is a bitter guy after reading his comments about Marc Trestman.

I think it would also be fair to categorize Bill Callahan's decision to radically change the gameplan 2 days prior to the Super Bowl as bizarre.

My first question is if the gameplan was really changed prior to (and possibly causing) Robbins going AWOL or if the change was in fact a response to that situation. Even though Robbins reportedly begged him not to make the change its tough to know what is fact and what is fiction.

Either way, the game plan change still seems bizarre. My gut feeling is the idea of Callahan tanking the game may simply be the only way certain guys to rationalize his seemingly nonsensical behavior.

Honestly given how bitter Brown is its not surprising the story started with him. I doubt it was intentional, just moronic on the part of Callahan.

Seeing how many things went wrong in that game for Oakland (dropped passes all over, Gannon throwing into double or triple coverage multiple times) it seems to me that execution was far more at issue than anything to do with the game plan, and that Brown and Rice have a difficult time accepting any of the blame for underperforming on the biggest stage.

My two cents.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
This is where I'm at, why do it? It didn't get Callahan out of Oakland, he came back the next year and coached "the dumbest team" he's ever been around. Could somebody possibly dislike Al Davis so much they tank a SuperBowl? It seems really far fetched, but I can't get past how many players are confirming this story.

wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
This is where I'm at, why do it? It didn't get Callahan out of Oakland, he came back the next year and coached "the dumbest team" he's ever been around. Could somebody possibly dislike Al Davis so much they tank a SuperBowl? It seems really far fetched, but I can't get past how many players are confirming this story.

Again, this is very possibly just a way for players to try and rationalize what seems to be a horrible coaching decision.

And like AZ said, you also have players not wanting to be accountable for poor performances.

I see no reason to believe that Callahan threw the SB.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
If I had 10 SB rings I'd still want that 11th.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Confirming what exactly? There's no hard proof or any evidence to back up this claim of him "sabotaging" the team.

From cbssports.com

Quote:
Brown thought Callahan changed the game plan from a run-heavy scheme to a pass-heavy scheme just two days before the game, giving the Raiders little-to-no time to practice the new stuff.

Gannon doesn't seem to agree with that assessment. "I think that what happened was that we came out and tried to run the football early in that game," Gannon said. "We didn't have a lot of success. We fell behind and at that point we started throwing the ball too much."

Gannon isn't the only Raider having a hard time believing Callahan sabotaged the game. Former Oakland linebacker Bill Romanowski isn't buying it either. "He absolutely couldn't be further from the truth," Romanowski said of Brown on 97.5 WPEN-FM in Philadelphia. "He doesn't know what he's talking about. And I'll tell you what, I'm blown away that something like that would come out of an intelligent man's mouth."

Romanowski also called Brown's accusations "complete crap."

So do you still think Brown's story has any credibility after hearing these other players dispute it, especially coming from the main cog on the offense himself in QB Rich Gannon?

Again, which coach wants to lose a Super Bowl or any game for that matter on purpose? That's just ludicrous.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

As far as I know, it's just Rice and Brown, and Brown has even started to backtrack on his statement.

Quote:
Other players on the 2002 team rebutted Brown in various radio interviews, including quarterback Rich Gannon, linebacker Bill Romanowski, offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy and fullback Zach Crockett, who is on the Raiders' scouting staff.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_22428825/tim-browns-opinion-bill-callahan-not-embraced-by?source=rss

To answer the original question, I think it's complete nonsense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: