Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs QB situation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ndub21ku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Chiefs QB situation Reply with quote

Ive heard many different opinions. Heres my take...If you can trade down to pick 20-25 and gain another 3rd round pick in doing so i like it. That gives you a 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds. With 2 of those picks i go QB. Whichever two you rate the highest. The syracuse guy, Lynch, Wilson...all solid choices. That still leaves you two picks in the first 3 rounds to clean up holes. Ive seen many sources say that this years draft has lots of depth with NFL starters through the first 4. Take advantage of it with more picks. Who cares about drafting number 1 when theres not a number 1 to take. Now scouts are saying the OT from central michigan measures better than the A&M guy. I also think this article (http://boggsbeerbabes.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-chiefs-need-to-trade-for-timothy.html) is very smart. Why not have your back up QB's are running zone read stuff. Tebow won a playoff game doing it in Denver. Would be a cheap gamble. Good locker room guy.
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take the QB.

Everyone wants to call this a weak class, or say there is no player worthy at #1.. it's crazy. If the whole top 15 is interchangeable... just take your guy.. take the QB.

Just take the QB!
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tyler Wilson as a prospect more than previous 1st QB's taken Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, and probly Sam Bradford too. They all have proved they are worth it, even Bradford IMO just needs better players around him.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
samsel23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Welcome to the Forums man. Stick around, we have alot off GREAT posters.

#1- If we trade down that far I would hope we got ALOT more.

#2- Tim Tebow is not a good locker room guy(maybe nice guy)but not a good locker room guy. The circus around him is something I want NO part of.

#3- If we like a guy at QB, just freaking take him. It is the only glaring hole on this team. I don't care if people say it's bad value, if we like him....GET HIM!

#4- We will most likely have 4 Picks in the first 3 rounds anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't trading down 20 spots and getting just a 3rd rounder in return...

Would MUCH rather stay at #1 and take the QB we have graded the highest instead of trading down and risk another team snatching him up.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we trade the #1 overall pick for a pick in the #20-25 range and get what amounts to be a low third round pick to do so?

Rolling Eyes

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Taylor916

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I said this somewhere else but if we trade back, i'd trade our 2nd for a good qb like flynn or alex smith or somebody and then trade our 1st for someone elses first and their 2nd then draft a CB one and another QB in 2 or 3. But I really just want to draft Geno and get a decent veteran.
kcstomp63

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am slowly jumping on the draft Geno #1 bandwagon. We obviously need a QB and will take one with one of our first two picks. I believe trading down is another option that just picked up some steam.

On ESPN Insider, they acknowledged that Philly is moving to a 3-4 defense and is going to be looking for a 3-4 nose tackle. Star Lotulelei fits the bill. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Philly and KC talked about a trade so Philly gets their man.

Assuming he doesn't get picked by Jacksonville or Oakland, Geno at #4 is a better option, I think.

If not....what other options do you think we would have at that spot. Trading down again could be a possibility.

Thanks to LOTO for the sig
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna be Tyler Wilson and we won't be able to trade down....at all and assure that we get him. (same thing if Geno ends up being the top QB on the board).

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the QB (Whether it's Geno or Wilson). Acquire a veteran as a backup or something if they must, but they really should just take the QB. The Chiefs haven't taken a first round QB in 1983, and their best QBs they've had since then have been 30+ year old trades or FA pickups who stayed around at most for a handful of years. I think at this point KC needs to at least show they're willing to take a risk on taking a true franchise QB, rather than just taking the safer picks, picking up weak trade/FA acquisitions for their QBs, and having nothing to show for it in terms of playoffs wins because of neglect at their most important position. Geno and Wilson are risks, but so is picking up some FA/Trade QB and watching him become another Cassel. Andy Reid may have some reputation now for developing QBs, but the only Quarterback he won playoff games with was a #2 overall pick, and even once McNabb left his main QB he was working with was a former #1 overall.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy to say take the QB but when they bust like jamarcus Russell everyone says y did you take a QB? I like Geno ability but he did have bad games and couldve shined at the seniorbowl. Ej Manuel is a sleeper and has great poise in the pocket, says that chip kelly wanted him in oregon that speaks alot to me on him. Troy Smith is still unproven after his possible start in baltimore. He has to get signed even as back up or smthng.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedSea wrote:
Its easy to say take the QB but when they bust like jamarcus Russell everyone says y did you take a QB?

Geno (and Wilson) are safer picks than Russell were and the current coaching staff in KC are far better for developing a QB than the complete mess that was in Oakland in 07.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedSea wrote:
Its easy to say take the QB but when they bust like jamarcus Russell everyone says y did you take a QB? I like Geno ability but he did have bad games and couldve shined at the seniorbowl. Ej Manuel is a sleeper and has great poise in the pocket, says that chip kelly wanted him in oregon that speaks alot to me on him. Troy Smith is still unproven after his possible start in baltimore. He has to get signed even as back up or smthng.

Jamarcus Russell had MAJOR Red Flags coming out. Sure, like every draft pick there is a risk (remember Aaron Curry was considered the safest pick in the draft). But given the new CBA's rookie cap, it makes it much easier to take the risk. A team can afford to take a 2nd QB a year or two later if the first QB is a bust (see Blaine Gabbert).

Jamarcus red flags were that he had all of the phycial skills, he was just lazy and, for lack of a better term, stupid. Geno is smart and he isn't lazy.
jimmydee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at this point I'm trusting Andy jto put us in a position to win with whom ever he decides to put under center. I, too, like a couple of the new kids, but I don't want them taking a QB first pick JUST because the haven't taken one since Blacklege in '83.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Alex Smith front, just speculation at this point but Smith could be planning on requesting to be released now as opposed to being dangled in a trade.

Quote:
Its widely believed that the 49ers will trade quarterback Alex Smith. The former starter is due to earn $8.5 million in 2013, with $1 million guaranteed now and the balance guaranteed as of April 1. It makes him a luxury that the team cant afford.

But the player prefers not to afford the 49ers a chance to trade him. Instead, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Smith is expected to seek his release before the start of free agency.

Its a calculated risk for Smith. On one hand, hes be able to join any team he wants. On the other hand, hed be losing the $8.5 million that hed earn this year if his contract is traded.

Of course, that contract could make it harder to trade him. And the 49ers will have plenty of time to explore their options for trading Smith before the new league year (and the free-agency period) begins.

Unless they can send him to a team for which he really wants to play, the fair move would be to let him go. He has been a loyal member of the organization since he was the first pick in the 2005 draft, and he caused no trouble when he was benched during a very good season after suffering a concussion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/28/alex-smith-is-expected-to-seek-his-release-before-free-agency/

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: