Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Flynn expected to be cut????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year. If you look at places you can free up cap space, this is about as easy as it is ever going to get.

Yep. They did it with Tarvaris Jackson last year, even though he was scheduled to make less money. They did get a conditional 7th out of it though.

And to those people saying we don't need the cap space, yeah, we do. We have a ton of players hitting FA in 2014 or whatever, and our franchise could use money to extend the legion of boom and Okung, which will not come cheap at all.
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a fall from grace if true. I remember everyone saying last off-season Flynn was the next big thing at QB. Did he even make an appearance for Seattle last regular season?
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
BlueOne wrote:
A dude tweeting this... it's definitely gonna happen guys! Rolling Eyes

I put the question mark in for that reason.

It's a discussion worthy topic, yes...but until there is action taken that lends this to be correct, it's probably not for NFL News, where we look to talk about actual news, not just assumptions made by members of the media.

We can move this to NFL General and get the same discussion going. Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How amazing would it be if he went back to GB? Made himself a few million already, why not take a cushy back up job for the next 6 or 7 years? That's my type of career.

I'd rather take an extremely safe back up job in GB for five years than try and start in KC. That's a very difficult job to step into, if he fails he might never get another job in the NFL.
driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hawks really should trade him... hes good enough to start on at least a handful of teams in the NFL.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year.

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

Yes, but it's just an unnecessary expense. You're not losing Russell Wilson, too.

Why should I pay 8 million for two quarterbacks when I can pay 1 million for two quarterbacks and still keep the better one?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

Isn't Wilson asking for a new contract?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

I read something that said his agents are asking for a raise

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
How amazing would it be if he went back to GB? Made himself a few million already, why not take a cushy back up job for the next 6 or 7 years? That's my type of career.

I'd rather take an extremely safe back up job in GB for five years than try and start in KC. That's a very difficult job to step into, if he fails he might never get another job in the NFL.

It would be nice to have Flynn backing up Rodgers instead of Harrell but I would think Matt would want to go somewhere where he can actually play instead of backing up yet another guy. Even tho he lost that starting job in Seattle he could still be a good QB for another QB needy team out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Blink wrote:

It would be nice to have Flynn backing up Rodgers instead of Harrell but I would think Matt would want to go somewhere where he can actually play instead of backing up yet another guy. Even tho he lost that starting job in Seattle he could still be a good QB for another QB needy team out there.

I think that, at the very least, he would want to be somewhere where he can compete. There's no competing with Aaron Rodgers. You might get to start Week #16 if the Packers lock up home field advantage. That's it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Blink wrote:

I think that, at the very least, he would want to be somewhere where he can compete. There's no competing with Aaron Rodgers. You might get to start Week #16 if the Packers lock up home field advantage. That's it.

Would not be surprised if Dorsey in KC tries to pull Flynn in. Him and a 2nd round QB is what I'm predicting right now for KC this off season.

Shanedorf wrote:
I'm a little surprised you didn't pick up on that given your unquestioned expertise in psychologically assessing people you've never even met.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Pugger wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Contract can't even be reworked until year 3, so that's a bs story.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
SupeRG00F

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Pugger wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Contract can't even be reworked until year 3, so that's a bs story.
Yeah Wilson and his agent both came out and said that's false.

I hope Flynn does get traded. More picks for the draft!

Xbox Gamertag: SupeR G00F
EccentricFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
the hawks really should trade him... hes good enough to start on at least a handful of teams in the NFL.

I wouldn't mind Buffalo trading a late round pick for him, but only if either the contract could be renegotiated or the Seahawks were willing to eat some of it as part of the trade.

Now if I'm looking at his contract right, he's still owed 15.5 million over the next 2 years with 6 million guaranteed. If the Seahawks would fork over the 6 million they'd be paying anyway, I'd at least consider a trade. Although I'd probably try to talk them up to paying an extra 500k each year in exchange for getting a draft pick instead of just cutting him.

Then have Flynn, Fitz, and a second round draft pick fight it out for starting spot. That would certainly improve the looks of Buffalo's QB roster and keep it happily free of Michael Vick.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EccentricFan wrote:
driftwood wrote:

I wouldn't mind Buffalo trading a late round pick for him, but only if either the contract could be renegotiated or the Seahawks were willing to eat some of it as part of the trade.

Now if I'm looking at his contract right, he's still owed 15.5 million over the next 2 years with 6 million guaranteed. If the Seahawks would fork over the 6 million they'd be paying anyway, I'd at least consider a trade. Although I'd probably try to talk them up to paying an extra 500k each year in exchange for getting a draft pick instead of just cutting him.

Then have Flynn, Fitz, and a second round draft pick fight it out for starting spot. That would certainly improve the looks of Buffalo's QB roster and keep it happily free of Michael Vick.

The way I see his contract is (using spotrac.com) :

2012 Base Salary : $2,000,000
2012 Signing Bonus (prorated amount) : $2,000,000

2013 Base Salary : $5,250,000
2013 Signing Bonus (prorated amount) : $2,000,000

2014 Base Salary : $6,250,000
2014 Signing Bonus (prorated amount) : $2,000,000

According to spotract.com, his contract included $10,000,000 in guaranteed salary (His entire signing bonus of $6,000,000 + his 2012 base salary of $2,000,000 + $2,000,000 of his 2013 base salary).

There are other escalators and incentives but without being an expert on the different release dates in the NFL schedule, I would think that IF the Seahawks decided to cut Flynn, they would save $1,250,000 in 2013 ($5,250,000 base salary - the remaining signing bonus prorations totaling $4,000,000). IIRC when a player is cut, the prorated portions of the signing bonus for future years are escalated into the league year the player was cut in. If this is correct, then as I said, the Seahawks would see a cap savings in 2013 of $1,250,000 and in 2014 a cap savings of his entire base salary ($6,250,000). I can't say what the no reached incentives and escalators would also be included, IIRC any incentives or escalators not reached would come be subtracted from the salary owed in the league year the incentives/escalators were included contractually. Maybe someone can confirm whether this changed or not with the new CBA.

The key would proabably be the date on or before which Flynn would have to be cut to avoid the 2013 guaranteed portion of his base salary ($2,000,000) of being locked in.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: