Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ark23's Mock Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ark23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
I've said it before on here but i dont really get the hype with Brown as a first rounder. Anywho, I love the Swearinger and Ellington picks. FA is realistic because i doubt we do anything significant there. Kinda surprised we didn't bring in a CB at any point. TBH, i wouldn't be surprised to see us go corner round 1 (I love Banks and he fits our man-scheme perfectly) just because Marvin and co. are notorious for finding our CB's in the first round. Plus i don't really trust Kirkpatrick's injury history yet to survive a full season. Banks, Dre Kirk, Jones on the outsides with Leon (and even Jones) in the nickel would be pretty impressive.

I'm in agreement that there is a chance we bring in a new corner. But I think what may deter the staff from adding someone at CB is that we essentially have two additions this year at CB with Brandon Ghee, who the staff has said nice things about and Dre Kirpatrick coming back from injury.

But with that said Kirkpatrick is still gonna be a young corner, Ghee can't stay healthy and outside of Adam Jones and Leon Hall we don't have a lot of proven depth, though keeping Terrence Newman may help in that regard. Taking Johnthan Banks in round one would be a very good value pick in my opinion - he's a wiry guy who is strong in press, fluid hips and a natural cover corner with shutdown potential. He's not physical enough in run support, needs to improve as a tackler and fill the alley better in the run game but his shutdown potential makes him valuable. But I can't see us going CB in round one for the second year in a row.

Tyrann Mathieu makes sense because his best fit is as a slot corner who can come on blitzes frequently, much like LSU used him in their nickel packages. With that said I have this strange feeling we are gonna take Nickell Robey out of SC. Undersized guy who is limited to Nickel in the NFL but really quick feet, will probably run really well at the combine and I think we use that SC pipeline again.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you started and i agree with lots, but i just wanted to make some adjustments. I tried to make it as Bengals realistic as possible (Obviously we'd all like to see a guy like Dashon Goldson in stripes, but it ain't happening).

Resign:
Bruce Gradkowski QB - Rumor has it were looking for a younger QB to 'challenge' Dalton, but i see Brucey coming back.
Cedric Peerman RB - Proven to be a nice runner and great special teamer.
Andrew Hawkins WR - Is pivotal for our offence.
Andre Smith RT - I think he deserves the money more than Johnson, at least for now. Smith signed an enormous deal his rookie year so its not like he's playing his butt off for $$$. I have a lot of trust issues when it comes to paying players and im not too sure about Johnson's breakout campaign. Plus, Smith has proven to be an elite RT and is essential for us to run the ball.
Wallace Gilberry DE - Proven to have a nice impact on the D-Line roto. Should sign pretty cheap.
Adam Jones CB - I really like Jones' game altogether. Is very sold in man and makes nice plays on the ball. Plus gives a nice spark on punt returns. I want him on the field next year.
Jeromy Miss ST - Good special teamer.
Kevin Huber P - Turned into a great pro.
Josh Brown K - Clutch down the stretch. Wants to play for a contender.
Clark Harris LS

Franchise:
Michael Johnson DE - Again, don't like the fact that he turned on the jets in his contract year. Lets get another contract season out of him and resign him the year after or let him walk.

Sign FAs:
Tanard Jackson S
Mike Jenkins CB
Ray Edwards DE
Jeff Otah RT
- I can pretty much sum all these FA's up together at once. All have immense talent and are were taken early in their respective drafts. Pretty much what we look for when adding talent. Hopefully Zimmer can whip them into shape and make them part of the 'Island of Misfit Toys' aka our defense. Otah (if he can stay healthy) is a guy who can either back up Andre on the right side, or replace Zeitler barring injury. Huge mauler who would fit well with us.

Draft:
Trade back to end of 1st/early 2nd and pick up a late 2nd round pick..

Round 1: Khaseem Greene / MLB / Rutgers - We traded back last year so why not again this year. There is a plethora of talent in the late first and second round so we might as well rally as many picks as possible. Greene is starting to become my man crush (along with Minter). Can do it all at the LB position and is a safer, better version of Ogltree IMO. Also a converted safety and excels in pass defense. Flies to the football and racks up tackles. Does a good job of shedding blocks and finding the ball carrier.
Round 2a(From Oakland): Desmond Trufant / CB / Washington - We love our CB's and Trufant is shooting up boards. Has NFL blood in him (Marcus Trufant had a great career with Seattle) and is excellent in man. A confident baller.
Round 2b: DJ Swearinger / SS / South Carolina - Another man crush. I think he will be the best safety in this class. He won't 'wow' you with his athleticism per say, but he absolutely gets the job done by using his instincts.
Round 2c(from whoever trades up): Andre Ellington / RB / Clemson - We are in dire need of a speed back. No defense in the NFL gameplans for BJGE. We need a threat for Dalton in the backfield.
Round 3: Javarres King / WR / Georgia - And another man crush here. As TheVillain pointed out he is very similar to Chad Ochocinco skill set wise. Showed up huge this week at the SeniorBowl. We can always use competition on the outside.
Round 4: Gerald Hodges / OLB / Penn State - More depth at LB is a necessity.
Round 5: William Gholston / DE.DT / Michigan State - Might fall due to off the field issues. Fits the mold for our big DE/DT pass rushers.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
ark23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khaseem Greene is interesting in round one. He's very comfortable in zone coverage, does a good job breaking on the football and reading the QB eyes but sometimes I feel he's a bit hesitant with his keys on the field and is a little slow flowing to the football. With that said he makes a lot of splash plays, forces a lot of fumbles and is a physical player for someone who might come in a little undersized. A little tight in the hips and struggles at the POA, so I'm not sure he goes round one but he wouldn't be a bad pick in my mind.

I like the free agent signings. Taking a chance on Jenkins, Jackson, Otah and Edwards all in the same offseason is pretty risky - I'd think maybe one or two of them is all, but why not. Low risk it seems, they shouldn't be particularly expensive.

Obviously I'm a fan of Swearinger and Ellington.

Tavarres King is a smooth athlete, really played well at the Senior Bowl and he's athletic - should run pretty well, lanky frame. But my only concern is that he's a guy who is going to work outside the hashes and down the field, he's a field-stretcher. And as we've seen Andy Dalton struggles with his accuracy deep down the field, so would King really be a valuable pick? He isn't someone who is going to take a lot of contact going over the middle of the field nor is he someone who is really elusive in space and will make people miss. I do understand though because Sanu and Hawkins are more underneath receivers and King, Green and to some extent Marvin Jones can work outside the hashes more.

Hodges is so fluid, great hips very quick feet, athletic guy who works well in space and is natural in coverage. Profiles well to weakside LB in the NFL, I think it's a solid pick. Especially in the fourth. If he gets stronger and more impactful in the run game he could be a huge steal.

William Gholston I don't expect to be there in round five but if he is there, he screams Bengals. That big, athletic pass rusher who can get in the passing lanes and knock footballs down. Powerful at the POA though, and I think 34 teams may really like him. He's got tight hips, not sure he can run the arc but as a bull rusher he has potential and with more fundamental coaching from Marvin and Zimmer he could be a real steal down the line.

If we are taking a corner Trufant would be a very interesting pick. So fluid on the outside, really good in coverage - can mirror, can turn and run thanks to some really impressive speed but he is almost a liability in the run game sometimes, not a sound tackler and he needs to get stronger. In the second round he wouldn't be bad value and he could allow Adam Jones to slide to the inside more. I personally think Trufant has the quickness to cover the slot some as well. Certainly would add depth at corner, especially if as you project we don't resign Newman.

Overall I would really like that if it was our offseason.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take that offeseason in a heartbeat. I agree with the resignings obviously (from another thread).

I have loved Tavares King for two years. He looks like a cross between Chad and AJ (or at least a poor man's AJ)
Hokie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clearly have done your research on the draft and free agency, so kudos to a well-done mock off-season. I only have a couple of problems with it.

I'm hoping that we bring in a bigger-impact free agent than Erin Henderson. He's too injury-prone for my liking, and I don't see him as a substantial upgrade to Malualuga. I don't think much of this year's free agent crop of LBs, but the draft is pretty deep there. I'd be targeting at least one LB, maybe two, in the draft (which you obviously did as well). I'm hoping the Bengals make a real run at a free agent WR like Jennings, Wallace, or even Bowe.

I would love for the Bengals to bring in an impact safety like Byrd or Goldson but I don't see it happening. The draft is fairly deep at safety this year as well though. I prefer Elam to Swearinger however, as he reminds me so much of Polamalu. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals bring in a veteran safety like Delmas or Landry, and draft a young safety to groom.

The only thing I really don't like about your mock off-season is you not bringing in any WR. While I think Sanu will be a very effective slot receiver in the NFL, I don't view him as a true No. 2. I like Jones' upside but I'm not sure if he's a true burner or anything more than a No 3/4 receiver. I'd like to see the Bengals bring in a deep threat via free agency or the draft.

Again though, thanks for the well thought-out mock off-season.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see us get Vaccaro, Arthur Brown and Jelani Jenkins later in the draft. That helps our coverage ability immensely. And our speed on defense which we lack

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
ark23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
You clearly have done your research on the draft and free agency, so kudos to a well-done mock off-season. I only have a couple of problems with it.

I'm hoping that we bring in a bigger-impact free agent than Erin Henderson. He's too injury-prone for my liking, and I don't see him as a substantial upgrade to Malualuga. I don't think much of this year's free agent crop of LBs, but the draft is pretty deep there. I'd be targeting at least one LB, maybe two, in the draft (which you obviously did as well). I'm hoping the Bengals make a real run at a free agent WR like Jennings, Wallace, or even Bowe.

I would love for the Bengals to bring in an impact safety like Byrd or Goldson but I don't see it happening. The draft is fairly deep at safety this year as well though. I prefer Elam to Swearinger however, as he reminds me so much of Polamalu. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals bring in a veteran safety like Delmas or Landry, and draft a young safety to groom.

The only thing I really don't like about your mock off-season is you not bringing in any WR. While I think Sanu will be a very effective slot receiver in the NFL, I don't view him as a true No. 2. I like Jones' upside but I'm not sure if he's a true burner or anything more than a No 3/4 receiver. I'd like to see the Bengals bring in a deep threat via free agency or the draft.

Again though, thanks for the well thought-out mock off-season.

I very much see what you are saying. Definitely with the cap room we have, I think asking for a high mpact free agent doesn't seem to much to ask. But I largely think that Mike Brown and co. are going to spend the majority of our money on retaining many of our free agents and signing some cheap guys who are low risk/high potential reward if they pan out. That's often been the M.O. in the offseason.

Personally if we are gonna break the bank, it better be for a safety like Goldson or Byrd, I agree. Although I do think Goldson and Byrd are less players that compliment Reggie Nelson, more similar skillsets - I'd prefer a more SS type to play next to Nelson.

Your concern with WR is founded. But we do have Sanu and Jones, Hawkins and A.J. Green. Those are four quality, and young receivers who haven't yet reached their ceiling (though Hawkins probably has). I think we have the option to let them grown and develop. Bringing in a really solid #2 option makes sense, but I don't think Andy's struggles are due to struggles from the WR core as much as his own fundamental issues. But it will add a dimension to our offense if we can get a player who really compliments A.J. Green well.

But I don't think it's a need that is necessary to break the bank for. My guess is a mid round receiver makes sense. Someone like Tavarres King (who was already mentioned) makes sense. A guy I really like is Da'Rick Rogers out of Tennessee Tech. Has character issues, will fall due to that but IF he makes it to our third rounder (doubtful, but possible) I'd snap him up. Great body control, good straight line speed big frame - high ceiling and he's a receiver who is willing to work the middle of the field, something I really like.

Elam over Swearinger is personal preference, but I have an early third round grade on Elam. He's a physical player, tough guy - gets downhill in the run game and fills the alley. But with that said he's far too small, and once someone gets his hands on him he's taken out of the run game. Florida walked him into the box a lot, and that's probably where he's better suited, I don't think he has great range but he does have good speed. Swearinger is bigger, can get off blocks and I think he's better in coverage - can play slot and boundary CB (Elam played some Slot corner in nickel for Florida) and he's more natural in deep zone.

You have some interesting thoughts, I'd be interested to see your own mock offseason.
Hokie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:

I very much see what you are saying. Definitely with the cap room we have, I think asking for a high mpact free agent doesn't seem to much to ask. But I largely think that Mike Brown and co. are going to spend the majority of our money on retaining many of our free agents and signing some cheap guys who are low risk/high potential reward if they pan out. That's often been the M.O. in the offseason.

Personally if we are gonna break the bank, it better be for a safety like Goldson or Byrd, I agree. Although I do think Goldson and Byrd are less players that compliment Reggie Nelson, more similar skillsets - I'd prefer a more SS type to play next to Nelson.

Your concern with WR is founded. But we do have Sanu and Jones, Hawkins and A.J. Green. Those are four quality, and young receivers who haven't yet reached their ceiling (though Hawkins probably has). I think we have the option to let them grown and develop. Bringing in a really solid #2 option makes sense, but I don't think Andy's struggles are due to struggles from the WR core as much as his own fundamental issues. But it will add a dimension to our offense if we can get a player who really compliments A.J. Green well.

But I don't think it's a need that is necessary to break the bank for. My guess is a mid round receiver makes sense. Someone like Tavarres King (who was already mentioned) makes sense. A guy I really like is Da'Rick Rogers out of Tennessee Tech. Has character issues, will fall due to that but IF he makes it to our third rounder (doubtful, but possible) I'd snap him up. Great body control, good straight line speed big frame - high ceiling and he's a receiver who is willing to work the middle of the field, something I really like.

Elam over Swearinger is personal preference, but I have an early third round grade on Elam. He's a physical player, tough guy - gets downhill in the run game and fills the alley. But with that said he's far too small, and once someone gets his hands on him he's taken out of the run game. Florida walked him into the box a lot, and that's probably where he's better suited, I don't think he has great range but he does have good speed. Swearinger is bigger, can get off blocks and I think he's better in coverage - can play slot and boundary CB (Elam played some Slot corner in nickel for Florida) and he's more natural in deep zone.

You have some interesting thoughts, I'd be interested to see your own mock offseason.

I think you're right about Mike. I do think they'll re-sign the vast majority of their own free agents (including Smith and Johnson), and work on an extension for Atkins (and possibly Green/Dalton). Even with all of the money that will be spent on their own guys, they should have plenty to bring in at least one impact free agent. Receiver is the position I'd target in free agency as there are some good fits for what we need. I'd love an impact safety but don't see it happening. Like I said, this free agent crop sucks at LB.

Da'Rick Rogers makes a lot of sense with the 55th pick, if no one is brought in via free agency. I just want to see one impact player brought in via free agency, whether it's a WR, LB, or S. Just one impact starter. Probably too much to ask with Mike, but still.

I haven't seen much of Swearinger to be honest. I've seen plenty of Elam though and love him as a prospect. While he's a little undersized, he has great ball skills and is a reliable tackler. Plus, he played his best in big games. I think he's going to be a stud and would be a great compliment to Nelson.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be doing more research on prospects. Doing mock drafts/off-seasons is one of my favorite hobbies. I posted a rough mock off-season in another thread a few weeks ago but will probably post one of my own sometime after the Super Bowl. These mocks are easier to do after free agency is somewhat settled, but it's never too early for a mock in my book.
sparky151

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, players drafted under the new CBA can't get extensions until after their 3rd season so we couldn't renegotiate Dalton or Green this offseason even if we wanted to. Undrafted players like Burfict can be given new deals however.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider before bringing in high priced free agents is the ability to carry over some small percentage of unused cap after meeting the floor. I see the team resigning most of our own, including Johnson and Smith, backing up the Brinks truck to extend Adkins, and then turning around and offering Dunlap the same deal they give Johnson. That's a big chunk of change right there. Putting a bunch of it as roster bonuses (instead of signing bonuses) would take it out of this years cap instead of spreading it out over the next 5 or so years. That would keep us from getting into cap problems any time soon. Assuming they could actually accomplish all of this, they could theoretically save a bit of cap space and roll it over next offseason to work on Green, and whatever they have left give Dalton.

Would I like to roll in a few high priced names? Sure. Does Mike Brown? Almost never. And with the cap set up like that, I would be OK with the strategy, because I don't want to have to cut players to get under the cap. Look at Pitt. They made it work for years, but the first time they cut a few corners to keep all their players it put them into bad spots in subsequent years because they backloaded all of theose contracts. I actually like the idea of using this cap space now to extend most of our own and draft replacements.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: