Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ark23's Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ark23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: ark23's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

With the offseason coming into clearer focus now that all the coaching changes have been made it has become pretty evident that we will retain everyone from our staff from this past year, for better or worse. With that said here's what I think should occur this offseason.

RESIGNINGS
QB Bruce Gradkowski - It's nice to have a veteran backup like Gradkowski who can step in and make some spot starts if necessary
RB Cedric Peerman - Special Teams value more than as a RB, did flash some potential at times this year
WR Andrew Hawkins - Great out of the slot for us, had some drops but he's dynamic with the ball in his hands and tough to bring down in space. Definitely has a spot on this team
RT Andre Smith - I'd love to see him back, and with the cap space we have I think we better lock him up as best we can. My guess is that he gets tagged for the year and they attempt to sign a long-term deal down the line
DE Michael Johnson - Lock him up long term. He'll probably command a fairly hefty sum on the market, but he's been great and this past year proved to be an every down guy for us
DE Wallace Gilberry - He played well as a situational guy for us and hopefully we can sign him to a deal to keep him in Cincy in a similar role
WLB Thomas Howard - Injuries are an issue, but we need to keep someone in Cincy as a veteran LB and he should come cheap. He can be a rotational guy who plays in nickel, and help our coverage woes
CB Adam Jones - He played well for us this year in the nickel and has value still as a returner. We need to keep him.
CB Terrence Newman - He surprised me this past year and he deserves another shot this year, at the least he can provide depth at corner.
SS Jeromy Miles - He's not the answer at SS but he's a quality STer
P Kevin Huber - Pay the man, he was very good for us this year
K Josh Brown - As much as it pains me to say I think Brown was better for us than Nugent.
LS Clark Harris - Didn't make mistakes, that's all you can ask for from LS

SIGNIFICANT PLAYERS LET WALK
OT Dennis Roland - He is a nice swing tackle and all but we have depth with Anthony Collins, I think he'll command more money than he's worth to us in the market and we can find a capable replacement.
K Mike Nugent - Frankly Josh Brown was really good after he got hurt.
S/CB Nate Clements - He's getting up there in age and not worth a new deal
DE Robert Geathers - It's tough letting a guy go who played some 80% of our defensive snaps last year but he isn't worth a new deal and Dunlap is ready to take on a bigger role and more snaps.
DT Pat Sims - He's impactful in the run game, but we drafted Still and Thompson for a reason. They both essentially got a redshirt year and I think they have the talent to get a shot in the rotation.
SS Chris Crocker - He's a great leader but his performance on the field isn't what it once was and we need an upgrade at this position.
MLB Rey Maualuga - Awful in coverage, limited athletically and he was a liability despite playing almost every snap. We can shift Burfict over to the middle or draft a new MLB, but Rey is not the answer.
SLB Manny Lawson - Struggled this year, not worth bringing back

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS
SLB Erin Henderson (Vikings) - It appears the Vikings aren't gonna resign him, and Henderson when healthy was once a quality player. He is a downhill backer who can line up at SLB or WLB and can play in the nickel. He shouldn't command too hefty of a sum with our 40+ million$ in cap room

RT Ryan Harris (Texans) - Quality ZBS offensive tackle who is a good fit as our third swing guy with Anthony Collins. He can replace Roland and should be fairly cheap

DE/OLB Shawne Merriman (Bills) - I know he hasn't done anything in while and I realize he doesn't make much sense but sign him to a min one year deal and if he doesn't perform well in camp cut him. Should be cheap.

2013 NFL DRAFT
1.21 - Arthur Brown [ILB/Kansas State]

- My man crush in this draft, among other - if you haven't noticed yet. I honestly think he's a top five prospect in this draft class and an elite linebacker who has versatility and a really high ceiling. High character guy who came down to the Senior Bowl despite being unable to play due to injury to weigh in and interview with teams. He's well-built, I think he comes in at 235 pounds and flies at the combine running in the 4.5's. Sideline to sideline backer who also gets downhill well and not only sheds well but has the speed to get around blocks. His instincts are brilliant, he trusts his eyes and rarely takes false steps - reads his keys well. I do agree he needs to bulk up some, but he's a vast upgrade to what we currently have at ILB and if need be Vontaze can move to the middle and Brown can play on the weakside. He's also a three down backer who would play in our nickel package. My concern is that he might not make it to 21, but if he's here he ought to be the pick.

2.37 - D.J. Swearinger [SS/South Carolina]

- At this point in the draft more than likely Kenny Vaccaro is off the board, so this pick is between Swearinger and Johnathan Cyprien of FIU (really underrated, and I'm not saying this because of the SR bowl), but Swearinger is a better fit - a more downhill player who can fill the alley in run support and is a plus athlete. He's very physical, and has the ability to cover in man - he played slot corner a lot for South Carolina. He'll thrive next to Reggie Nelson, allowing him to leverage the run and showcase his hitting ability in space. He's a high ceiling player and if he makes it here to 36 I'd hope we snap him up quickly.

2.55 - Andre Ellington [RB/Clemson]

- Marvin said it himself, we need to be able to run the football better and more consistently. BJGE is our feature back, and that's entirely fine at this point and time. But we need a change of pace back, and Ellington is that guy. He doesn't have the size, power, ability in pass protection or lower body strength to be an every down back. But he's a big play threat with great burst and real fluidity. He's tough to bring down in space and has the speed to get the edge. I don't think he's great at catching the ball away from his frame, but with the ball in his hands he's about as dangerous as they come and incredibly elusive.

3.86 - Keith Pough [OLB/Howard]

- He's a real leader who flashed in a big way at the East/West Shrine Game, looking like he was the best prospect there and flashing all kinds of versatility. He's a great blitzer from the strongside and has the fluidity and athletic ability in space to cover and even line up on the weakside. I think LB was a big problem this past season and Pough can be a long term answer with a high potential.

4.117 - Dennis Johnson [RB/Arkansas]

- Johnson may seem very superflous with the selection of Andre Ellington in the second round, but I really don't think this is an unnecessary pick here. Johnson could go far higher but he has serious ball security issues and doesn't have elite speed. Still he's a perfect fit for a third down back on this offense, a great pass protector who has a strong lower body and runs well behind his pads. Soft hands, great burst and impressive acceleration. Special teams ability to boot.

5.151 - Hugh Thornton [OG/Illinois]

- Thornton seems like the type of guy who gets underrated - a physical OG who has versatility - he can play at left or right guard and is very good in a phone booth - showcasing good lower body strength and power to move defenders off the line of scrimmage opening holes in the running game, something that we need to improve upon this offseason.

6.182 - Mike Catapono [DE/Princeton]

- Late round sleeper who I think can be a really good player at the next level. Plays against weaker competition, without question but he is a long athlete at 6'4/270 with the versatility to line up at strongside end and defensive tackle on nickel situations. He can largely replace Robert Geathers role somewhere down the line if he proves to be a steal. Added depth along the defensive line at the least.

6.189 - Quincy McDuffie [AP/UCF]

- McDuffie isn't a pure WR, but he's more of a playmaker who can line up all over - and most of all is a DYNAMIC return man (36 yards per KR, 3 TD's). He can be a gadget guy, line up in the slot, run reverses - return kicks and trick plays. Adam Jones was a nice return man last year but we had issues with Brandon Tate, McDuffie can solve those issues in the return game.

DEPTH CHART
*Italics signifies new signing
also it's over 53 right now just a rough estimate, some players will be placed on practice squad as well
Some players I project as being cut like Jason Allen, John Connor, Lavasier Tunei etc..

QB - Andy Dalton/Bruce Gradkowski/Zac Robinson
RB - Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis/Andre Ellington/Dennis Johnson(3rd Down Back)/Cedric Peerman(ST's)
FB - Chris Pressley
FL - A.J. Green/Ryan Whalen
SE - Mohammed Sanu/Marvin Jones
SL - Andrew Hawkins/Quincie McDuffie
TE - Jermaine Gresham/Orson Charles
LT - Andrew Whitworth/Anthony Collins
LG - Clint Bolling/Travelle Wharton
C - Trevor Robinson/Kyle Cook
RG - Kevin Zeitler/Hugh Thornton
RT - Andre Smith/Ryan Harris

DE - Carlos Dunlap/Wallace Gilberry
NT - Domata Peko/Brandon Thompson
UT - Geno Atkins/Devon Still
DE - Michael Johnson/Mike Catapono/Shawne Merriman
SLB - E.J. Henderson/Keith Pough/Dontay Moch
ILB - Arthur Brown/Vontaze Burfict
WLB - Vontaze Burfict/Thomas Howard/Emmanuel Lamur
CB - Dre Kirkpatrick/Shaun Prater/Terrence Newman
FS - Reggie Nelson/George Iloka
SS - D.J. Swearinger/Taylor Mays/Jeromy Miles(ST)
CB - Leon Hall/Adam Jones/Brandon Ghee

K - Josh Brown
P - Kevin Huber
RS - Dennis Johnson/Andrew Hawkins/Quincy McDuffie
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your free agency resignings and let-walks are exactly the way I would do it, except for Sims, if we can get him at a friendly price.

I wouldn't mess with any of the free agent signings you have though. Just draft an OT (or promote the 6-9 guy on the PS from Queens, whose name escapes me at the moment).

The draft: I like Ellington Thorton and McDuffie at the spots you have them. I would like Brown and Swearinger one round later for each.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ok with Brown at 21. It just seems so early for Swearinger. Obviously a lot can change between now and the draft, but I do not see him as a 2nd rounder. Hopefully Elam or Vaccaro is available there

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew before clicking that you would give us Brown in the first. Laughing

I like it a lot. It addresses a lot of needs (Speedy RB, MLB, SS). I agree with what was already mentioned that we should re-sign Pat Sims if we can. I agree we have replacements but Sims is a difference maker...
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: ark23's Mock Offseason Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
RESIGNINGS
QB Bruce Gradkowski - It's nice to have a veteran backup like Gradkowski who can step in and make some spot starts if necessary
RB Cedric Peerman - Special Teams value more than as a RB, did flash some potential at times this year
WR Andrew Hawkins - Great out of the slot for us, had some drops but he's dynamic with the ball in his hands and tough to bring down in space. Definitely has a spot on this team
RT Andre Smith - I'd love to see him back, and with the cap space we have I think we better lock him up as best we can. My guess is that he gets tagged for the year and they attempt to sign a long-term deal down the line
DE Michael Johnson - Lock him up long term. He'll probably command a fairly hefty sum on the market, but he's been great and this past year proved to be an every down guy for us
DE Wallace Gilberry - He played well as a situational guy for us and hopefully we can sign him to a deal to keep him in Cincy in a similar role
WLB Thomas Howard - Injuries are an issue, but we need to keep someone in Cincy as a veteran LB and he should come cheap. He can be a rotational guy who plays in nickel, and help our coverage woes
CB Adam Jones - He played well for us this year in the nickel and has value still as a returner. We need to keep him.
CB Terrence Newman - He surprised me this past year and he deserves another shot this year, at the least he can provide depth at corner.
SS Jeromy Miles - He's not the answer at SS but he's a quality STer
P Kevin Huber - Pay the man, he was very good for us this year
K Josh Brown - As much as it pains me to say I think Brown was better for us than Nugent.
LS Clark Harris - Didn't make mistakes, that's all you can ask for from LS

SIGNIFICANT PLAYERS LET WALK
OT Dennis Roland - He is a nice swing tackle and all but we have depth with Anthony Collins, I think he'll command more money than he's worth to us in the market and we can find a capable replacement.
K Mike Nugent - Frankly Josh Brown was really good after he got hurt.
S/CB Nate Clements - He's getting up there in age and not worth a new deal
DE Robert Geathers - It's tough letting a guy go who played some 80% of our defensive snaps last year but he isn't worth a new deal and Dunlap is ready to take on a bigger role and more snaps.
DT Pat Sims - He's impactful in the run game, but we drafted Still and Thompson for a reason. They both essentially got a redshirt year and I think they have the talent to get a shot in the rotation.
SS Chris Crocker - He's a great leader but his performance on the field isn't what it once was and we need an upgrade at this position.
MLB Rey Maualuga - Awful in coverage, limited athletically and he was a liability despite playing almost every snap. We can shift Burfict over to the middle or draft a new MLB, but Rey is not the answer.
SLB Manny Lawson - Struggled this year, not worth bringing back

I won't talk draft or free agent signings, because it's a total crapshoot.

But, i will pick a few bones with the resignings and walkers.

I do think the team will resign Nugent and have a kickoff. Reasoning; i don't think there are any teams out there that will give significant money to Nugent, or even a real shot TBH because of all the injuries he's had. Kickers come and go. Nugents best shot at a roster spot is to resign in Cincy and have a kickoff. If he goes elsewhere, it won't be because the Bengals don't try to resign him. It'll be because he got a starting job elsewhere.

Sims is a tough one. I'm sure the team would love to have him back. Will he get big money elsewhere? I think maybe he does.

Lawson i think will be back. Cheap 1-2 year deal again. No one else will want him. Same with Crocker and Clements. However, i could see the Bengals waiting until after the draft to resign those guys. If they feel comfortable with the combo of whoever is on the roster and the draft picks, maybe they stand pat (like they did last year before the rash of secondary injuries that prompted a return of Crocker).

I think one of Smith or MJ93 will walk. Not that the team won't want them back, just that they'll get stupid money somewhere else. My bet is on MJ93 not coming back.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
ark23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Your free agency resignings and let-walks are exactly the way I would do it, except for Sims, if we can get him at a friendly price.

I wouldn't mess with any of the free agent signings you have though. Just draft an OT (or promote the 6-9 guy on the PS from Queens, whose name escapes me at the moment).

The draft: I like Ellington Thorton and McDuffie at the spots you have them. I would like Brown and Swearinger one round later for each.
I think I'm higher on most with Brown and Swearinger. But I'm confident that these are the areas around which both will go. Swearinger I think has a shot to go round one, and Brown could go even higher if he weighs in at a solid 240 or so at the combine.

ochocinco4pres wrote:
I am ok with Brown at 21. It just seems so early for Swearinger. Obviously a lot can change between now and the draft, but I do not see him as a 2nd rounder. Hopefully Elam or Vaccaro is available there
I think the consensus on Swearinger is lower than what it will be come draft day. I would be shocked if Vaccaro makes it to us at 21, let alone gets to the second round - but it is early, and you never know. Personally I have Swearinger and the other safety I mentioned, Johnathan Cyprien above Elam. To me Elam is a late2/early3 prospect whereas Cyprien and Swearinger are firmly early round two guys who might not be reaches at the end of round one.

Swearinger has the fluidity and athletic ability to cover slot WR's in the NFL, and he is great at getting downhill and filling the alley in the run game. No question he sometimes goes for the highlight hit too often, and I do think he'll get some targeting penalties but athletically he's very good and he doesn't get washed out of the run game like Elam - who once you get your hands on him is out of the play. His size isn't a concern as much as his strength, he hasn't shown the ability to get off blocks/shed.
TheVillain112 wrote:
I knew before clicking that you would give us Brown in the first. :lol:

I like it a lot. It addresses a lot of needs (Speedy RB, MLB, SS). I agree with what was already mentioned that we should re-sign Pat Sims if we can. I agree we have replacements but Sims is a difference maker...
Haha you know me far too well.

I'm in agreement that Sims is a difference maker, but I just frankly don't see him being retained. Our defense, especially on running down, improved a lot when he returned but Still showed some promise when he was in the rotation during the beginning of the year. And Brandon Thompson, I don't think he even took a snap this year - I have faith he can get on the field next year. I'd love to resign Sims but I think he's going to end up being viewed as a luxury when we spent two draft picks in the first three rounds on defensive tackles who aren't even getting on the field.

If we can resign him cheap though, I'm all for it - no question.
theJ wrote:

I won't talk draft or free agent signings, because it's a total crapshoot.

But, i will pick a few bones with the resignings and walkers.

I do think the team will resign Nugent and have a kickoff. Reasoning; i don't think there are any teams out there that will give significant money to Nugent, or even a real shot TBH because of all the injuries he's had. Kickers come and go. Nugents best shot at a roster spot is to resign in Cincy and have a kickoff. If he goes elsewhere, it won't be because the Bengals don't try to resign him. It'll be because he got a starting job elsewhere.

Sims is a tough one. I'm sure the team would love to have him back. Will he get big money elsewhere? I think maybe he does.

Lawson i think will be back. Cheap 1-2 year deal again. No one else will want him. Same with Crocker and Clements. However, i could see the Bengals waiting until after the draft to resign those guys. If they feel comfortable with the combo of whoever is on the roster and the draft picks, maybe they stand pat (like they did last year before the rash of secondary injuries that prompted a return of Crocker).

I think one of Smith or MJ93 will walk. Not that the team won't want them back, just that they'll get stupid money somewhere else. My bet is on MJ93 not coming back.
I certainly hope that if we resign Lawson, Crocker and Clements it's as depth - not as us counting on them to be starters and impact players for us, because that won't end well.

I sincerely hope we don't let Smith or MJ go because those are two franchise building blocks. I'd hope worst case scenario we can lock up one and franchise tag the other though I'm not certain that will happen. We have the cap room to at the least retain everyone we want to. I hope that we can. But I have this sinking feeling that we won't.

Resigning Nugent makes sense, I'm in agreement on the lack of market for him. But are we going to be willing to use two roster spots on kickers? That's my question.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
Resigning Nugent makes sense, I'm in agreement on the lack of market for him. But are we going to be willing to use two roster spots on kickers? That's my question.

Only in training camp. Seems like there are usually two kickers on the roster through the last preseason game most years.

ark23 wrote:
I sincerely hope we don't let Smith or MJ go because those are two franchise building blocks. I'd hope worst case scenario we can lock up one and franchise tag the other though I'm not certain that will happen. We have the cap room to at the least retain everyone we want to. I hope that we can. But I have this sinking feeling that we won't.

I hadn't given much thought to the franchise tag. I guess in that case, the team has a pretty good shot at retaining both. If i had my druthers, i'd rather they tag MJ, because tagging an above average RT isn't my dream scenario.

Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the offseason a lot. Especially the draft. Fills many needs and seems like the guys were picked about the round I would expect them to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see us take a flyer on the Honey Badger in the 4th or 5th round though. Its a Marvin/Mike Brown type of pick.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
ark23 wrote:

Only in training camp. Seems like there are usually two kickers on the roster through the last preseason game most years.

ark23 wrote:

I hadn't given much thought to the franchise tag. I guess in that case, the team has a pretty good shot at retaining both. If i had my druthers, i'd rather they tag MJ, because tagging an above average RT isn't my dream scenario.

Especially because he would be paid the average of the 5 highest LTs. That's a lot of money

BengalsEra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
I like the offseason a lot. Especially the draft. Fills many needs and seems like the guys were picked about the round I would expect them to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see us take a flyer on the Honey Badger in the 4th or 5th round though. Its a Marvin/Mike Brown type of pick.

I would love for them to draft the honey badger but i dont know how kirkpatrick and him would get along since they had their differences in a game in 2010 i think
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BengalsEra wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

I would love for them to draft the honey badger but i dont know how kirkpatrick and him would get along since they had their differences in a game in 2010 i think

I'm sure it'd all be water under the bridge. Can't see an in game spat having long lasting grudges like that.

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
BengalsEra wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

I'm sure it'd all be water under the bridge. Can't see an in game spat having long lasting grudges like that.

Agreed. I don't want that headache known as the Honey Badger on this team but I can't help but think he is this years Burfict and can be a stud safety in the league

BengalsEra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
theJ wrote:
BengalsEra wrote:
Carson4MVP wrote:

Agreed. I don't want that headache known as the Honey Badger on this team but I can't help but think he is this years Burfict and can be a stud safety in the league

I would like to at least give mathieu a chance. I think thats what the bengals are missing is a ballhawk in the secondary. I just hope that it was just during that game and nothing else. I mean we have a lot of people would would help him stay out of trouble.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming Mathieu passes the drug tests I'd be happy to draft him after the 3rd round. There's a good chance we lose a couple of CBs. Clements has declined and Allen didn't live up to his contract. Jones and Newman played well and are free agents. Ghee can't seem to stay healthy and Prater is an unknown quantity. So the team is likely to draft at least 1 CB.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before on here but i dont really get the hype with Brown as a first rounder. Anywho, I love the Swearinger and Ellington picks. FA is realistic because i doubt we do anything significant there. Kinda surprised we didn't bring in a CB at any point. TBH, i wouldn't be surprised to see us go corner round 1 (I love Banks and he fits our man-scheme perfectly) just because Marvin and co. are notorious for finding our CB's in the first round. Plus i don't really trust Kirkpatrick's injury history yet to survive a full season. Banks, Dre Kirk, Jones on the outsides with Leon (and even Jones) in the nickel would be pretty impressive.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: