Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Bennett
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ravishingone


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 2681
Location: Leola
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
ravishingone wrote:
Kind of shows the organization probably didn't screw up by not resigning Bennett. I wish Bennett the best, I hope he can overcome this injury, but it was the right call not to resign him.

Things make a little more sense now, yes. But why haven't we signed anyone else? We have 0 depth, assuming both Clayborn AND Bowers play all 16 games.


First, free agency isn't done yet. However, with that being said, I don't expect them to sign a veteran. We may have questions about Te'o, Owusu and Morgan, but the coaching staff may feel they can give adequate depth behind Clayborn and Bowers. Just because those guys haven't had the opportunity to play doesn't mean they absolutely can't play on Sunday. Also, the organization may be targeting someone in the draft to help the d-line, which may be a reason they don't want to part with pick #13. There still is plenty of time before training camp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BuccaneersFan34


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 93
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schiano and Dominick are SET on starting Clayborn and Bowers at DEs, and I think we tried to resign Bennett, but told him it would be a backup role and he obviously thought that offer was disrespectful and he walked. With Miller, I think he thought he was a lot more important than he really is, and asked for too much. We know we can find a replacement for him easily with a big bodied DT next to our probowl stud. Look to see a big DT drafted by us to replace Miller. We haven't signed a DE like Abraham or Freeney because neither of them would consider being a backup to Bowers and Clayborn. It's not that we don't want depth at DE, its just we have our starters and we need DEs that accept the 2nd string role and can play, so if there are guys like that left in FA then we could sign one, but I see us having to draft DE depth too because the rookies won't be egotistical enough to demand to start over our DEs. The rotator cuff thing has little to nothing to do with why we didn't keep Bennett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13518
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Schiano and Dominick are SET on starting Clayborn and Bowers at DEs, and I think we tried to resign Bennett, but told him it would be a backup role and he obviously thought that offer was disrespectful and he walked. With Miller, I think he thought he was a lot more important than he really is, and asked for too much. We know we can find a replacement for him easily with a big bodied DT next to our probowl stud. Look to see a big DT drafted by us to replace Miller. We haven't signed a DE like Abraham or Freeney because neither of them would consider being a backup to Bowers and Clayborn. It's not that we don't want depth at DE, its just we have our starters and we need DEs that accept the 2nd string role and can play, so if there are guys like that left in FA then we could sign one, but I see us having to draft DE depth too because the rookies won't be egotistical enough to demand to start over our DEs. The rotator cuff thing has little to nothing to do with why we didn't keep Bennett.


..No, that is your opinion. You are not in the Bucs front office. For all you know, they looked at his injury and let him go because of that alone. Everything you wrote is pure speculation on your part, a fan.

Plus, defensive line doesn't really work like other positions in terms of which string you are. It's not like quarterback where the backups only play if something is wrong with the starter. Defensive lines routinely rotate 7-8 guys..just because Bowers and Clayborn are "starters", a guy like Osi would still play tons of snaps.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BuccaneersFan34


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 93
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

athletes have big egos and do you really think proven vet DEs in this league want to be backups to young and unproven players? NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13518
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
athletes have big egos and do you really think proven vet DEs in this league want to be backups to young and unproven players? NO.


They aren't "backups." This is defensive line, where it is always a rotation. A guy like Osi would play just as many snaps here as a "backup" than he would anywhere else as a "starter."
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BuccaneersFan34


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 93
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schiano said it himself, he wants Bowers to get double digit sacks. Unless he has another injury, I think he takes most of the snaps. Teo-Nesheim will most likely rotate with Clayborn. Why would they tie up millions in a DE that will just rotate in with Bowers when he needs a break?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13518
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Schiano said it himself, he wants Bowers to get double digit sacks. Unless he has another injury, I think he takes most of the snaps. Teo-Nesheim will most likely rotate with Clayborn. Why would they tie up millions in a DE that will just rotate in with Bowers when he needs a break?


Brick wall

You're not getting it. Defensive linemen rotate constantly to stay fresh. They don't just send in backups when one guy gets too tired. Of course Schiano wants Bowers to get double digit sacks, he's our only guy right now who could outside of Clayborn. Laughing

They will tie up millions in a defensive end because we absolutely sucked at rushing the passer last year, and now we let our leading sacker go. Hopefully Clayborn being back helps, but to hinge our entire ability to rush the passer on 2 young guys is stupid.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BBando


Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7441
Location: Tampa Bay
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
DaRealdeal wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/315932464885399553

Quote:
Seahaws DE Michael Bennett, who left Tampa for Seattle, was diagnosed with torn rotator cuff. Injury why Bennett got a 1-yr deal in SEA.

This may explain why we didn't pursue him more aggressively.

They haven't announced whether he will need surgery or not, but if he does it could take upwards of 6 months to heal.


So he either won't start the season, or he won't be anywhere close to 100%.

My dad had a torn rotator cuff, and it was pretty bad. Obviously my dad was not a professional athlete, but he couldn't even lift his arm above his head. I assume that even for an NFL athlete it would be pretty problematic.
Same with my mom. She still can't lift her arm over her head. But athletes have better recovery programs then regular people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RB4TampaBay


Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 374
Location: Seminole, FL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Schiano and Dominick are SET on starting Clayborn and Bowers at DEs, and I think we tried to resign Bennett, but told him it would be a backup role and he obviously thought that offer was disrespectful and he walked. With Miller, I think he thought he was a lot more important than he really is, and asked for too much. We know we can find a replacement for him easily with a big bodied DT next to our probowl stud. Look to see a big DT drafted by us to replace Miller. We haven't signed a DE like Abraham or Freeney because neither of them would consider being a backup to Bowers and Clayborn. It's not that we don't want depth at DE, its just we have our starters and we need DEs that accept the 2nd string role and can play, so if there are guys like that left in FA then we could sign one, but I see us having to draft DE depth too because the rookies won't be egotistical enough to demand to start over our DEs. The rotator cuff thing has little to nothing to do with why we didn't keep Bennett.


I agree with you completely. Most of us did not know anything about Bennet's shoulder injury, it makes more sense now that they are maybe going to draft his replacement rather than sign a more expensive veteran, as this player will be starting behind Bowers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BuccaneersFan34


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 93
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone has their own opinion. Not saying Im right, it just seems like our D-line is built aroud McCoy, Clayborn, and Bowers as our future and we want them on the field as much as possible so they develop into a top DL and bringing in big name players just hinders that development. A rookie would be logical to rotate in, without threatening the emergence of Bowers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
indifference


Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 1825
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Well everyone has their own opinion. Not saying Im right, it just seems like our D-line is built aroud McCoy, Clayborn, and Bowers as our future and we want them on the field as much as possible so they develop into a top DL and bringing in big name players just hinders that development. A rookie would be logical to rotate in, without threatening the emergence of Bowers.
I'd rather us go get a seasoned vet though like Abraham who can provide a spark as a situational guy. And he's injury prone so that is enough to make him a pass rush specialist. I can see us drafting a flier in the latter at this point. Just don't know if a late round guy in the 4th or 3rd would make much of impact right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BuccaneersFan34


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 93
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy in the 4th who could provide depth is Cornelius Washington. He's listed as a 3-4 OLB, but I dont think that fits his skill set. He could be a productive rusher in a 4-3 system as a DE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pvsports9


Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Well everyone has their own opinion. Not saying Im right, it just seems like our D-line is built aroud McCoy, Clayborn, and Bowers as our future and we want them on the field as much as possible so they develop into a top DL and bringing in big name players just hinders that development. A rookie would be logical to rotate in, without threatening the emergence of Bowers.
I'd rather us go get a seasoned vet though like Abraham who can provide a spark as a situational guy. And he's injury prone so that is enough to make him a pass rush specialist. I can see us drafting a flier in the latter at this point. Just don't know if a late round guy in the 4th or 3rd would make much of impact right now.


There's a ton of guys in that range that are pass rushing specialists- especially with their hand in the ground
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pvsports9


Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 1062
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Schiano said it himself, he wants Bowers to get double digit sacks. Unless he has another injury, I think he takes most of the snaps. Teo-Nesheim will most likely rotate with Clayborn. Why would they tie up millions in a DE that will just rotate in with Bowers when he needs a break?


Brick wall

You're not getting it. Defensive linemen rotate constantly to stay fresh. They don't just send in backups when one guy gets too tired. Of course Schiano wants Bowers to get double digit sacks, he's our only guy right now who could outside of Clayborn. Laughing

They will tie up millions in a defensive end because we absolutely sucked at rushing the passer last year, and now we let our leading sacker go. Hopefully Clayborn being back helps, but to hinge our entire ability to rush the passer on 2 young guys is stupid.


0% chance you lure a guy like Osi to be a 3rd down specialist for the most part (barring injury) to a non playoff team. While it's true defensive lineman do rotate quite a bit- I think that angle is being overplayed. Rotational lineman maybe play about 30% of the snaps a game which is why the studs get paid so much. If they were constantly rotating in and out there would be no need to give mega deals because they're not in majority of the game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tml_gogo


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 13518
Location: Montréal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pvsports9 wrote:
tml_gogo wrote:
BuccaneersFan34 wrote:
Schiano said it himself, he wants Bowers to get double digit sacks. Unless he has another injury, I think he takes most of the snaps. Teo-Nesheim will most likely rotate with Clayborn. Why would they tie up millions in a DE that will just rotate in with Bowers when he needs a break?


Brick wall

You're not getting it. Defensive linemen rotate constantly to stay fresh. They don't just send in backups when one guy gets too tired. Of course Schiano wants Bowers to get double digit sacks, he's our only guy right now who could outside of Clayborn. Laughing

They will tie up millions in a defensive end because we absolutely sucked at rushing the passer last year, and now we let our leading sacker go. Hopefully Clayborn being back helps, but to hinge our entire ability to rush the passer on 2 young guys is stupid.


0% chance you lure a guy like Osi to be a 3rd down specialist for the most part (barring injury) to a non playoff team. While it's true defensive lineman do rotate quite a bit- I think that angle is being overplayed. Rotational lineman maybe play about 30% of the snaps a game which is why the studs get paid so much. If they were constantly rotating in and out there would be no need to give mega deals because they're not in majority of the game


But we're not talking about studs. We're talking about vets who are passed their prime and are still free agents.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group