Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

I've been pretty critical of Ireland, but I have to say the newest thing I've heard from him indicates he at least understands what the problem is:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/jeff-ireland-is-looking-for-playmakers/

Sadly, we practically gave away the WR with the 5th most amount of TD's in the entire league, but either way, at least Ireland seems to understand that the two WR's we currently have ain't gonna cut the mustard. 1 TD each is about as bad as I've ever seen in this league.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I've been pretty critical of Ireland, but I have to say the newest thing I've heard from him indicates he at least understands what the problem is:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/jeff-ireland-is-looking-for-playmakers/

Sadly, we practically gave away the WR with the 5th most amount of TD's in the entire league, but either way, at least Ireland seems to understand that the two WR's we currently have ain't gonna cut the mustard. 1 TD each is about as bad as I've ever seen in this league.

Merc ... wes/brandon welker/marshall's success on the pats/bears is not an indication of what his worth is to the dolphins. When you have the pass protection we have, WRs are less valuable.

If you have a Mercedes Benz and no where to live you sell it and buy a volvo and a house.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Merc..... I thought by your topic headline that Ireland was looking at a mirror.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 4, Tackles 6 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 4 : Death 17 Joe 14
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:

So you are coming around huh jkjk lol. Now its just a matter of can he find those guys. As big of a Ireland supporter as I have been he hasnt proven he can find those guys. As for our WR they dont score TD's no matter who the QB is. bess has 11 TD's in 5 years as a starter
Mercury22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Merc ... wes/brandon welker/marshall's success on the pats/bears is not an indication of what his worth is to the dolphins. When you have the pass protection we have, WRs are less valuable.

If you have a Mercedes Benz and no where to live you sell it and buy a volvo and a house.

Fair enough, but using your analogy, we sold our Benz and bought a Pinto with mechanical issues and a poor paint job.

The Marshall trade, thus far, has yielded us absolutely ZERO productivity on the field. One short season later Ireland is looking for playmakers and guys that can score. Marshall was exactly 5th best at his position in the entire NFL when it came to TD's. He also made it to first string honors in the Pro Bowl and dominated the NFC.

As for Wes Welker, Dolphins fans have been seeking to justify that move since it happened. We got BUB-KISS for Welker. We ended up with Samson Satele and Abraham Wright in exchange for Welker. Satele ended up being traded to the Raiders and in return we took Andrew Gardner.

Wes Welker went on to accumulate the follow career:
5 Pro Bowl (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
4 All-Pro (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011)
3 NFL receptions leader (2007 (tied), 2009, 2011)
2 AFC champion (2007, 2011)
2 Ed Block Courage Award (2007, 2010)
AFC receiving yards leader (2011)
New England Patriots 12th Player Award (2007)
Pop Warner Inspiration to Youth Award (2008)
Longest reception in NFL history (tied, 99 yards)
New England Patriots All-2000s Team

You can argue he wouldn't have had that kind of career in Miami (I agree, he wouldn't have) but he also wouldn't have had that kind of career with the Patriots if we had retained him and he wouldn't have sucked either. It was a bad, bad trade. Some have argued it made sense at the time, but the proof is in the pudding. The fact is Welker hurt us by being on the Patriots. It yielded us nothing in return. Those two trades were the worst in team history no matter what they looked like at the time.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Geez Merc..... I thought by your topic headline that Ireland was looking at a mirror.

I was drinking water when I read this, almost did a spit take.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

So you are coming around huh jkjk lol. Now its just a matter of can he find those guys. As big of a Ireland supporter as I have been he hasnt proven he can find those guys. As for our WR they dont score TD's no matter who the QB is. bess has 11 TD's in 5 years as a starter

Totally agree. I just heard a lot of Dolphins fans suggesting that if both Hartline and Bess could get 60 grabs a piece we would be fine. They both got 60 grabs. We were NOT fine. Play makers only need apply.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that he has stated he set up last season to prepare for this season is interesting. The first step is to admit your faults and he did that. Now lets see if he can execute

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Dalunatic16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked all of his answers. He knows what has to be done and it sounds like he knows what he's looking for.

The one thing I found interesting was talking about Egnew and the tight ends. It kinda sounded like he was really thinking of upgrading that position. He also said that he thinks Egnew will have a big year this upcoming year. He might have been just saying that to be nice though, idk.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

Fair enough, but using your analogy, we sold our Benz and bought a Pinto with mechanical issues and a poor paint job.

The Marshall trade, thus far, has yielded us absolutely ZERO productivity on the field. One short season later Ireland is looking for playmakers and guys that can score. Marshall was exactly 5th best at his position in the entire NFL when it came to TD's. He also made it to first string honors in the Pro Bowl and dominated the NFC.

As for Wes Welker, Dolphins fans have been seeking to justify that move since it happened. We got BUB-KISS for Welker. We ended up with Samson Satele and Abraham Wright in exchange for Welker. Satele ended up being traded to the Raiders and in return we took Andrew Gardner.

Wes Welker went on to accumulate the follow career:
5 Pro Bowl (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
4 All-Pro (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011)
3 NFL receptions leader (2007 (tied), 2009, 2011)
2 AFC champion (2007, 2011)
2 Ed Block Courage Award (2007, 2010)
AFC receiving yards leader (2011)
New England Patriots 12th Player Award (2007)
Pop Warner Inspiration to Youth Award (2008)
Longest reception in NFL history (tied, 99 yards)
New England Patriots All-2000s Team

You can argue he wouldn't have had that kind of career in Miami (I agree, he wouldn't have) but he also wouldn't have had that kind of career with the Patriots if we had retained him and he wouldn't have sucked either. It was a bad, bad trade. Some have argued it made sense at the time, but the proof is in the pudding. The fact is Welker hurt us by being on the Patriots. It yielded us nothing in return. Those two trades were the worst in team history no matter what they looked like at the time.

What Pinto ? We are on our way to the car dealership while dialing up the realtor on the phone. In other words we haven't spent the draft picks we got in the trade. Can't judge that deal for quite some time. The dude dropped TDs and was not the best guy to have around a rookie QB ... it's like an amish dude dating a recently retired stripper w/ a nose candy habit. Too much fun.
The point is wes welker would have never done his NewEngland thing with the QBs we've trotted through here.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a supporter of Ireland in the sense that I feel he put together this potential off-season and he should have the opportunity to see it through. I know...."Ireland is the worse and will screw it up and the Dolphins will be worse off..." Lets be honest the Dolphins have had only 2 good off-seasons in 30 years 83' and 96'....it's not Ireland, its the band-aid attempts at fixing the team. This mentality that the team was "only one player away" is what had killed the Dolphins for years. Ireland finally had the balls do what should have been done when Marino retired, gut the roster and start fresh. He's done that with Tannehill and Philbin and now they have the opportunity to build the exact team they want....cap space, draft picks....this didn't happen by accident. They feel they have the biggest mystery solved; the QB, now it time to find the other cogs in the machine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys translate his wording about Long? Ive read it like 10 times and take it like if he asks for big money see ya.

-Courtesy of bpastermack talking about John Beck.
SUG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiaDolphan13 wrote:
How do you guys translate his wording about Long? Ive read it like 10 times and take it like if he asks for big money see ya.

All due respect, that was about the most disappointing aspect of the entire article to me.

Not that I'm always right but I swear to you this J. Long issue should have been dealt with last yr.

1 of 2 things are going to happen about that.

a). we draft another OT
b). we spend half of our cap space on signing a OT

That is/was a WAY BIGGER ISSUE than Bmarsh or Vontae.
I know were in a good position going into the offseason but, this is the anchor around our necks today.

I just don't see anything more imp in the entire roster as of today.

sug
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
MiaDolphan13 wrote:

All due respect, that was about the most disappointing aspect of the entire article to me.

Not that I'm always right but I swear to you this J. Long issue should have been dealt with last yr.

1 of 2 things are going to happen about that.

a). we draft another OT
b). we spend half of our cap space on signing a OT

That is/was a WAY BIGGER ISSUE than Bmarsh or Vontae.
I know were in a good position going into the offseason but, this is the anchor around our necks today.

I just don't see anything more imp in the entire roster as of today.

sug

If Jake Long departs this off season and we get nothing in return, I generally agree, it would be a truly foolish move of Ireland to have not traded him last off season. We could have had AT LEAST had a first rounder for Long if we had unloaded him last year, and probably more.

Where I differ, and where I am most certainly in the extreme minority here is that I believe we shouldn't give up on Long. I think it takes time to get used to a new style of play and I believe the light WILL go on for Long. I believe he was also hampered by very poor play early in the season from Incognito. Incognito needed time to learn the system and the light went on for him later in the year. Long might not be as effective as he was in the Dolphins last system offensive line scheme, but I still believe he can be very good. That coupled with the fact that he appears to be the leader for this unit, make him have high value

Salary is a consideration, undoubtedly, but his value dropped enough with his injury and subpar play that to me he would likely be worthy of the contract he will receive and he would allow us to focus our off season capitol/draft picks on other needs.

Either way, getting nothing for Long could be AS bad a move as the Marshall deal, IMHO.
Mercury22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ireland: At Least He Sees the Problem Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
It's like an amish dude dating a recently retired stripper w/ a nose candy habit. Too much fun.

You, my good friend, should see the documentary called "Devil's Playground". Its about the Amish process of "Rumspringa". An Amish dude with a retired stripper w/a nose candy habit may not be as uncommon as you might guess. Wink

I guess we'll have to disagree. For me, I can think of few trades in the NFL for any team as lopsided as the Welker - Dolphins/Patriots deal, and the early returns on the Dolphins/Bears deal for Marshall. But hey, the Marshall deal could be okay if Egnew figures it out and Ireland pulls a rabbit out of the hat with this years 3rd. But from where I sit, both seem unlikely to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: