Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Senior Bowl Discussion thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
http://profootballzone.com/nfl/tyrann-mathieu-reportedly-spoke-with-the-redskins-jets-at-the-senior-bowl/

Quote:
Tyrann Mathieu, aka "the honey badger," is here in Mobile. Just spoke with Redskins and Jets

ow.ly/i/1oZoa

If we take him, I hope it's not with our 2nd or 3rd round picks...

If we take him in the third and he ends up a pro bowler are you going to care?
No, but if he doesn't play because of off the field problems ill be disappointed that we trusted him. I doubt he will ever be a pro bowl player. Doesn't have the speed to make up for his lack of size. Darrell Green he is not

A guy who's small that I'm liking a lot is Leon McFadden (San Diego State) on the south team. He's 5'9", 193 but has racked up three interceptions in two days at practice. He has great instincts and has been able to time passes perfectly and jump routes. He has good hands, and his ability to jump passing lanes are because he's a converted WR and understands the concepts of the WRs route tree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
http://profootballzone.com/nfl/tyrann-mathieu-reportedly-spoke-with-the-redskins-jets-at-the-senior-bowl/

Quote:
Tyrann Mathieu, aka "the honey badger," is here in Mobile. Just spoke with Redskins and Jets

ow.ly/i/1oZoa

No, but if he doesn't play because of off the field problems ill be disappointed that we trusted him. I doubt he will ever be a pro bowl player. Doesn't have the speed to make up for his lack of size. Darrell Green he is not

A guy who's small that I'm liking a lot is Leon McFadden (San Diego State) on the south team. He's 5'9", 193 but has racked up three interceptions in two days at practice. He has great instincts and has been able to time passes perfectly and jump routes. He has good hands, and his ability to jump passing lanes are because he's a converted WR and understands the concepts of the WRs route tree.

I really don't see how his field speed is being questioned with his ability to turn turnovers into TD and take punts to the house on more than one occasion...
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieu is a rare talent. He has speed, athleticism, instinctive, and plays his position well.

He just got involved with some bad things in college, and hopefully has put that behind him.

If he is still playing at a top level like this at the Senior Bowl, teams are going to want him higher than the 4th, and I would not be opposed to him in the 3rd based on his play justifying his position to move up that high.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

ow.ly/i/1oZoa

I really don't see how his field speed is being questioned with his ability to turn turnovers into TD and take punts to the house on more than one occasion...
true, I guess most guys who are his size though that excell at the next level run a 4.3 not 4.5. Maybe he can defy the odds though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Johnson looks great so far today. What do you guys know about this Cal center Brian Schwenke? He looks awesome today. I know we are set with Monty for now, but a good young center to groom would be nice as I believe Monty is over 30. I remember I really wanted David Molk last year and he's turned into a reliable starter in this league.

mike23md on the sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
Lane Johnson looks great so far today. What do you guys know about this Cal center Brian Schwenke? He looks awesome today. I know we are set with Monty for now, but a good young center to groom would be nice as I believe Monty is over 30. I remember I really wanted David Molk last year and he's turned into a reliable starter in this league.
Mayock is high on him. In one of my posts I think I posted something where he's likely to go mid rounds. He's very athletic and would be a great fit for the zbs

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129943/article/senior-bowl-takeaways-landry-jones-steps-up?campaign=Twitter_atl

1. Mayock loves Brian Schwenke, C from Cal. He's a great zone-scheme center who we might have our eye depending on how far he falls. Right now he's rated by most as a 3rd-5th round pick.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Jets draft Tyrann, and he turns out to be a Pro Bowl player, next to LaRon Landry?

Laughing
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
If the Jets draft Tyrann, and he turns out to be a Pro Bowl player, next to LaRon Landry?

Laughing
more power to them if they do. Laron acted totally different for NY than he had here. In DC, he acted like he deserved to get some big contract and acted like he was already a pro bowl player. He was humbled by not finding many suitors who would take a chance on him and his hurt Achillies last offseason and he actually worked harder, studied harder and did things the right way. He wouldn't do that for us here in DC though, he hated the management, the coaching staff, felt entitled because he was the 6th pick and wanted a big pay day.

He would have never re-signed in DC for 4 million dollars, he demanded a huge deal that he hadn't earned.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4178/laron-landry

Quote:
Impending free agent SS LaRon Landry was limited to 35-of-58 snaps in the Jets' finale as punishment for missing the team bus.

Jan 9 - 3:27 PM
Source: ESPN New York

Quote:
LaRon Landry told the New York Daily News that he will not take a hometown discount this offseason to re-sign with the Jets.

The Jets took a flier on Landry when few wanted him in 2012 free agency. He's 28 years old and won't be repaying Jets management for giving him the shot. "What do you mean (by) a discount?" Landry said. "Take less over what? From where? ... I’m going to sit down with my agent and family and make the best business decision." Landry has 89 tackles, four forced fumbles, and two interceptions this year. Pro Football Focus has also graded him positively in coverage.

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 05:26:00 PM
Source: New York Daily News

Quote:
ESPN New York considers free agent SS LaRon Landry "highly unlikely" to re-sign with the Jets.

Landry played a surprisingly high 96 percent of the defensive snaps. A clause in his one-year contract prevents the Jets from franchise tagging him, and he's already made it clear he won't accept a hometown discount. Beat writer Rich Cimini believes the Jets simply "won't be able to afford him." Landry is going to be seeking big money on a long-term deal at age 28. Jan 4 - 2:30 PM
Source: ESPN New York

Sounds like a true pro bowler a team leader to me. Rolling Eyes he still has major issues with maturity if you ask me...

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/m/seniorbowl?campaign=Ext_Email_NL_21_NFL&cvosrc=Ext.Email.NL.21.NFL

I Found this to be a good source of info on what's going on during senior bowl week.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Summary-Eight-Players-Who-Struggled-Most-This-Week.html

Players who struggled most this week:

1. Braxston Cave, C, Notre Dame
2. Zac Dysert, QB, Miami-Ohio
3. Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
4. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU- practiced like a mid to late round pick
5. Robert Lester, SAF, Alabama- practiced like a late round pick
6. Joe Madsen, C, West Virginia
7. Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida- practiced like a late round pick. Bad system fit
8. Denard Robinson, WR, Michigan- really raw, late round pick, major project
mike23md

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/m/seniorbowl?campaign=Ext_Email_NL_21_NFL&cvosrc=Ext.Email.NL.21.NFL

I Found this to be a good source of info on what's going on during senior bowl week.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Summary-Eight-Players-Who-Struggled-Most-This-Week.html

Actually players that have had good practices have been Zac Dysert, Jordan Hill and Margus Hunt. If you watch any of the video from the practices, Ryan Nassib was the worst QB.

Tyler Wilson actually got the Senior Bowl practice award.

FYI. Washington was seen talking with Duke Williams, S, Nevada.

Duke Williams, S, Nevada
6'1 / 200 lbs.

Quote:
The NFL Network's Bucky Brooks suggested that Nevada S Duke Williams may be an "intriguing" Day 2 prospect if he puts together a solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game.

Quote:
Brooks notes that "scouts on the West Coast believe (Williams) has the talent to be a star as a pro." The senior's strengths are his "ball skills, awareness and big-hit ability," all of which have been displayed on tape. Someone is going to stand out during Shrine week, and Williams sounds like one candidate.

It seems if Williams has a good showing he could end up in the 2nd round? I find that hard to believe. But it all depends.

Duke Willaims vs. Boise State

Has good recovery speed, but does not attack ball carriers in the run. Would be better suited for the FS position. Plays flat footed and waits for the angles to develop for his tackles instead of shooting a gap and making the play.

A couple of times, Williams has show to be a big hitter, but only if he has the angle, he seems to be out of position often and almost shy's away from contact as he engages in blocking. I think that Williams is going to need a lot more work to be a 2nd round prospect. But if he plays well in the senior bowl it could raise his stock. He could potentially run in the 4.5 range.

He is not a bad prospect, but I think there are better ones we could go after in the 2nd round. But at least the Skins are talking to a position of need.

Another note is that the Redskins did meet with Phillip Thomas on the 2nd day of the practices. That is a good sign that we are looking to address the S position.

Washington did meet with Tennessee TE Mychal Rivera. That is fairly interesting to me.

Washington did meet with Andre Ellington and Tennessee Martin DT Montori Hughes.

Two very intriguing prospects.

And one last prospect meeting was Harding University LB Ty Powell. I know nothing about this kid.

After watching some video, it looks as though he can play side to side, played S at JUCO so he learned to play coverage. He takes good angles and is not afraid of contact. Is aggressive in play. Could be a late round pick or even UDFA.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Last edited by mike23md on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcus21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Actually players that have had good practices have been Zac Dysert, Jordan Hill and Margus Hunt. If you watch any of the video from the practices, Ryan Nassib was the worst QB.

Tyler Wilson actually got the Senior Bowl practice award.

FYI. Washington was seen talking with Duke Williams, S, Nevada.

Duke Williams, S, Nevada
6'1 / 200 lbs.

Quote:
The NFL Network's Bucky Brooks suggested that Nevada S Duke Williams may be an "intriguing" Day 2 prospect if he puts together a solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game.

Quote:
Brooks notes that "scouts on the West Coast believe (Williams) has the talent to be a star as a pro." The senior's strengths are his "ball skills, awareness and big-hit ability," all of which have been displayed on tape. Someone is going to stand out during Shrine week, and Williams sounds like one candidate.

It seems if Williams has a good showing he could end up in the 2nd round? I find that hard to believe. But it all depends.

Duke Willaims vs. Boise State

Has good recovery speed, but does not attack ball carriers in the run. Would be better suited for the FS position. Plays flat footed and waits for the angles to develop for his tackles instead of shooting a gap and making the play.

A couple of times, Williams has show to be a big hitter, but only if he has the angle, he seems to be out of position often and almost shy's away from contact as he engages in blocking. I think that Williams is going to need a lot more work to be a 2nd round prospect. But if he plays well in the senior bowl it could raise his stock. He could potentially run in the 4.5 range.

He is not a bad prospect, but I think there are better ones we could go after in the 2nd round. But at least the Skins are talking to a position of need.

Big Mike.....what do you think of TJ McDonald from the other USC...lol. He is a load and I think he will be there for us in the second. I really dont watch alot of west coast games, so I dont know much about him. I have seen him poping up in alot of Mock drafts around us lately and was wanting to get your take? I know he played for Monty, so he may be a little ahead of the game?
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info mike23. I'm glad they are talking to Phillip Thomas as well. That's cool they are talking to Duke Williams, I totally agree with your analysis and I don't think he will make it all the way up to round 2, but its a possibility. If we could get him in round 3 though, that's be cool.

Quote:
Washington did meet with Tennessee TE Mychal Rivera. That is fairly interesting to me.

Washington did meet with Andre Ellington and Tennessee Martin DT Montori Hughes.
yeah, us meeting with a TE is definitely an eye opener and hits that we aren't interested in re-signing Fred Davis.

Andre Ellington would be a good selection for us, his speed would be a great compliment to Alfred Morris' power. I'd like the selection, but of he's going to be a 3rd round pick I'd rather go in another direction than running back because I see more pressing problems than running back.

Montori Hughes is very interesting as you said. The guy is a huge run stuffer and he's come thing we need. He's had off the field problems and been inconsistent but he's definitely a good selection late in the draft and someone who's a low risk/high reward selection.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Wednesday-prospect-notes.html

Here is Bowen's Wednesday senior bowl practice notes. He loves Tyler's boy UT's wr/return man Goodwin.

Quote:
Goodwin’s ability at WR: I know the Texas product can run. Goodwin has top tier vertical speed. However, I was more impressed Wednesday with his ability to win at the line of scrimmage vs. press-coverage. Very athletic player when you watch him win on the release and get into the route stem. There has been a lot of talk from scouts on Markus Wheaton from Oregon State, but don’t forget about Goodwin as a WR that can earn an NFL paycheck inside of the numbers and pressing the top of the secondary.

2. CB Desmond Trufant:
Quote:
Smooth footwork, quick hips and he displayed the ability to play press-man in 1-on-1 drills. I thought Trufant played with a little swagger to his game and wanted to compete throughout the session on Wednesday. You can see the talent watching the CB change direction and drive on the ball.

Trufant is looking good. I hope he lasts...

3. Shawn Williams: He is a hard hitter. He fills hole well in the run game. He's struggled in coverage vs tight ends and he's going to have to improve that.
mike23md

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.J McDonald has very good measurables to play FS.

6'3 / 205lbs.

Instincts/Recognition

Overall diagnostic skills are solid and continue to improve throughout career. Flashes ability to anticipate routes and get an early break on the ball. However, he can be too aggressive and will take chances which can get him in trouble against play action on occasion. Plays with passion and brings a physical presence down the middle of the field.

Cover Skills

A natural athlete that has smooth movements. Stays low in pedal and quickly transitions out of breaks. A bit high cut and does show some tightness, though, especially when having to make sudden 180 degree turn. Closes quickly once pointed in the right direction which provides him with a wide range when lined up at the point. Will have no problems matching up with most TEs in man coverage but may have some limitations against quicker slot WRs.

Ball Skills

Flashes above-average play making skills. Generally takes sound angles when tracking the ball and has natural hands to secure INT. Times leaps well and can high point the ball.

Run Support

Makes a quick diagnosis and aggressive in this area. Effective when lined up near the box and works through traffic to find ball carrier. A strong wrap up tackler when in position that can deliver a violent strike when given the opportunity. That being said, must clean up angles in pursuit and do a much better job of breaking down in the open field to ever maximize his potential in this area. Missed far too many tackles during film study due to inefficient angles.

McDonald is going to play FS in the pros. His tall lanky frame will need to add some muscle to be able to shed blockers to get to RB's that may get to the second level. He has good speed and instincts to break up plays.

He is not a ball hawk with only 2 INT's on the year, but is not afraid to tackle.

He is a big hitter and does like to head shot, and that is something that I leary of because of the penalty inquired on our team if he were to do that, and that is something that cannot necessarily be coached out of him.

Pending on team needs, he could work himself into the late 1st early 2nd round. I could see the Lions taking a swing or the Eagles at him with their 2nd round picks.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
footy_29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Trufant will be gone before pick 40.
Arrow Tyler Wilson had the best spin on his passes, with good location.
Arrow Schwenke will probably selected around the Redskins second round selection, so certainly possible. However, with LeRibeus on the roster I do not see the team adding another C prospect, unless it's late in the draft.
Arrow Day 2 also means the third round (Duke Williams)
Arrow Webb is certainly going to be looked at by Washington, however I have to think that they look for an outside corner as I expect D.Hall to stick around.

Obviously there will be a couple of players from the Senior Bowl selected by the Redskins, or at least it seems evident that it will happen.

I have my doubts that they'll go for a receiver, not even Wheaton. Aldrick showed he had speed to burn, and Garcon and Hankerson have speed to burn. I think they wait until next year to target a day 2 WR. TE certainly is a possibility depending on what happens with Fred Davis but I wasn't paying much attention to the TEs in the limited footage I saw of the Senior Bowl practices.

All in all, this isn't a strong class. I anticipate that there will be several (3-4) selections in the secondary to improve the chances of finding a couple contributors. I think you can almost forget about the OL except for late day 3 picks.

Of course it would never be smart to rule out any position, but this is a year where I could see the Redskins packaging picks and trading up and down the draft to find players they like. Maybe trading up for D.J. Swearinger, Matt Elam, or Desmond Trufant if they are there at the top of the second round.

I don't think this team needs as many players as they have selections. Sure, they could add a late round RB, a late round TE, a later round LB, a late round DB. You can easily make use of those picks and stash a couple on the PS, but there is less of a void this year considering most of the 2012 roster will make the 2013 roster with little room for spares.

Blknite01's masterpiece
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Russellmania980: Still getting thru this @seniorbowl tape -This should make @ZacBoyer kind of happy - CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson (6'1") & LB/DE Sio Moore flashed.

Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: