Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Teddy T's 1st Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teddy T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Teddy T's 1st Mock Reply with quote

1 - DT - JESSE WILLIAMS - ALABAMA

Quote:
Brute nose tackle (though he plays some five-technique) with a very good motor. Solid two-gap player who keeps his eyes in the backfield to find the ball. Plays with leverage, gets under the pads of his man to hold the line or push him into the backfield. Has enough quickness and power off the snap to pop off his blocker and grab backs heading outside or coming through the middle. Uses quick hands to swipe aside lunging blockers to penetrate into the backfield. Stays upright against cut blocks and gives second effort to get up when on the ground. Gets low with power in short-yardage situations. Also hustles to the sideline to chase scrambling quarterbacks and stretch plays when fresh. Pushes the pocket a bit as a pass rusher, and will work past lesser blockers’ shoulders into the backfield. Cleans up piles, sending linebackers flying.

2 - OG - BARRETT JONES - ALABAMA

Quote:
Possesses NFL size for an interior player. Solid pass protector whether playing inside or outside, plays with a wide base, mirrors and anchors effectively by keeping his feet moving and extends his arms to stay engaged. Good hip extension in the run game. Gets correct angle to create running lane when blocking on the move, can also create space inside by moving his man out of the hole using his hands and bulk. Able to seal the tackle and then work to linebackers close to the line on combo blocks. Can reach the 3-technique defensive tackle from the center spot. Fits on second-level blocks very well in the run game. Very good football and general intelligence. Great awareness of late blitzers and twist stunts, and he gives excellent effort to reach free rushers so his quarterback stays upright.

3 - SS - D.J. SWEARINGER - SOUTH CAROLINA

Quote:
High-motor, downhill run and pass defender who throws his body around, but with some control. Big hitter over the middle on receivers and pounding running backs, especially in tight quarters and as a backside pursuit defender. Good lateral movement to flow with runs from the back half, yet fly into the hole to prevent big runs. Feisty in-the-box defender who out-quicks or swims over lead blocks and fights through the whistle. Has experience at a variety of positions, and lines up against receivers regularly, using his physicality, agility, and knowledge of routes to stay with them across or down the field. Has the range to split the field in half in two-deep coverage. Effective blitzer off the edge, brings force into fullback blocks and quarterback hits. Competes for the ball while the receiver is making the catch, as he does in every other part of his game. Makes the easy interception on poor throws, but also snatches and dives for tougher picks.[/url]

4 - ILB - KEVIN REDDICK - NORTH CAROLINA

Quote:
Intelligent, hard-working defender who consistently fulfills his assignments. When at middle linebacker, he reads his keys, doesn’t freelance, hits his run fits, and doesn’t play outside of his abilities. Good vision to the ball, out-quicks approaching linemen, works his way through trash well, and has the upper body strength to wrap up running backs coming through the hole. Also takes out linemen with cut blocks to free up teammates to make the stop. Shows surprising dip and flexibility around the edge as a defensive end, and boxes well to force the ball back inside. Does not possess sideline to sideline range, but has a nice short area closing burst, coming downhill quickly on blitzing or seeing a lane to a running back. Breaks down quickly to grab elusive ballcarriers trying to cut against the grain. Can handle short areas in zone coverage over the middle against tight ends and crossers, and is capable of dropping into coverage even after showing blitz in the A-gaps before the snap.

4 - WR - AARON MELLETTE - ELON

Quote:
Good height to be a solid possession receiver at the next level, has enough size to shield defenders on slants. Reliable hands, wins jump balls in traffic and snatches the ball away from his frame whether tracking it over his shoulder or facing the quarterback. Not afraid to go over the middle, and can turn and run if hit in the soft spot of a zone. Flashes the flexibility and body control to adjust to high and low throws, as well as those behind him. Used on bubble screens and fly sweeps despite his size, has the agility to make a man miss after the catch.

5 - RB - ZAC STACY - VANDERBILT

Quote:
Stacy probably has the best vision of any back in this year’s draft class. Not only does he seem to have a knack for finding the hole, but he seems to have an uncanny instinct that tells him how long it will be until a certain a hole plugs up. One thing that I have always believed is overrated is the idea of “patience” needed for a running back. If a running back spends an extra 2 seconds in the backfield waiting for a hole to open up, he’ll get tackled for a loss. If a hole isn’t there when you get the ball, chances are it won’t be there 2 seconds later. Stacy has an uncanny knack for not only finding a hole, but knowing where holes are bound to develop. His vision is truly fantastic.

Stacy is an extremely valuable asset on pass plays. He is good at catching the ball, but his best asset on pass plays is easily his blocking. Again, Stacy plays like he is 230lbs. In spite of his lack of size, he has phenomenal strength and has proven time and time again to be a great pass blocker. More than anything, I’m not sure if I have ever seen a running back so good at picking up the blitz. He reads defenses and diagnoses blitzes like a quarterback. Seriously. His ability to read blitzes and his strength as a pass blocker is huge for Vanderbilt quarterback Jordan Rodgers, who has no pocket presence or awareness whatsoever. Stacy might be the best pass blocking back in college football.

6 - OT - LUKE MARQUARDT - AZUSA PACIFIC

Quote:
Possesses prototypical height, length and a growing frame still able to add weight without losing athleticism. Flashes foot quickness to take away the edge in pass protection, but also mirror without losing knee bend to maintain balance and form. Redirects ends through the pocket inside, as well. Widens his base to anchor when on his game. Also uses his feet to change blocking angle on the move to create running lanes. Surprises with his straight-line speed when leading on pulls or getting downfield to block. Has a solid punch, and is also capable of keeping his feet active while landing it. Comes out of his three-point stance low and hard for his size, gets hands inside to bully defender out of the play. Greets blitzers instead of catching them. Uses strength and length to hold back one defender on double-team while waiting for edge blitzers.

7 - DT - BAKER STEINKUHLER - NEBRASKA

Quote:
Tough, high-motor lineman who plays the zero, three and five techniques equally well. Shows enough initial quickness to challenge blockers off the snap. Plays with decent pad level and bend to maintain leverage despite his height. Athletic enough to move down the line while engaged to maintain his gap. Stands up to double teams adequately, keeps his feet working and doesn’t get his shoulders turned; takes up blockers so blitzers can get through the line. Flashes some short area agility, as well as the strength to hold up his man while grabbing a back coming through his gap with one arm. Has the length to affect passing lanes when watching the quarterback, also tough for passers to throw around if getting free from his block. Best following plays within the box, but shows some good hustle to the outside when possible.

QB - Rodgers, Coleman
RB - Starks, Green, Harris, Stacy
FB - Kuhn
TE - Finley, Taylor, Crabtree, Williams
WR - Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Ross, Mellette
T - Newhouse, Buluga, Sherrod, Marquardt
G - Sitton, Lang, Barclay
C- DTS, Jones
DE - Pickett, Neil, Wilson, Worthy, Daniels
NT- Raji, Williams
OLB - Matthews, Perry, Walden, Moses
ILB - Hawk, Bishop, Smith, Reddick
CB - Williams, Shields, Hayward, House, Bush
S - Woodson, Burnett, Jennings, McMillian, Swearinger
K - Crosby
P - Mathsay
LS - Goode
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen 1 mock draft that has Barret Jones dropping to the end of round 2 - just saying. Now make Jones the round 1 pick and a RB in round 2 then the rest of your draft looks in line. If the Packers do go Williams in round 1 then there should be on OL in round 2 available. If I were a betting man, I would believe TT will go offense in his first couple of rounds and possibly first 3 rounds. I don't think DL is a huge area of need compared to OL and RB and possibly that future TE to take over for Finley if TT chooses not to resign him after next year.
Teddy T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern with the defensive line is that Pickett, Neil, Wilson, and Raji are all free agents next year. Worthy will be coming back from his ACL and I think we need some one to help Raji. This is a deep tackle draft and probably is the year to do it.

I agree with Jones, but I also have started to see him drop down boards. I guess I could just see him drop.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not feeling the Luke Marquardt pick but the rest of it seems good. The only real issue is that we only have one DB picked when that group is by far the weakest link on that defense.
Jleisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Barrett Jones, Jones started out as a top 20-25 pick. Now he is into the middle 2nd rd. My understanding is that he is having knee surgery. Now, I thought I heard that during the game. I think its possible he could drop.
rbens06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jleisher wrote:
As for Barrett Jones, Jones started out as a top 20-25 pick. Now he is into the middle 2nd rd. My understanding is that he is having knee surgery. Now, I thought I heard that during the game. I think its possible he could drop.

I did not hear about any knee injury, but I believe after the national championship he did say lisfranc surgery was a possibility and it sounded like he was already set to have it (just what I got from his interview). However, he did gut it out and play through the pain to help his team rather than sit out an try to preserve his draft stock, which makes me like him even more! My guess is the lisfranc could hurt his stock, but not too much (a lot of athletes have that surgery and are just fine). I think his drop is more of a combination of other guys rising and the devaluation of the center/guard position in the draft. I agree that I do not foresee him dropping to our second, but there is a lot of time, so who knows. If he did fall there I would love the pick.
irishpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
I have not seen 1 mock draft that has Barret Jones dropping to the end of round 2 - just saying. Now make Jones the round 1 pick and a RB in round 2 then the rest of your draft looks in line. If the Packers do go Williams in round 1 then there should be on OL in round 2 available. If I were a betting man, I would believe TT will go offense in his first couple of rounds and possibly first 3 rounds. I don't think DL is a huge area of need compared to OL and RB and possibly that future TE to take over for Finley if TT chooses not to resign him after next year.

Barret Jones is really overrated. God no Barret Jones. He really is not that good and is small.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when is 6-4 305 small?
irishpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:

Please no Barret Jones. Guy is very overrated. He is actually small and weak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: