Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My try at a skins only Mock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Any chance Phillip Thomas is available in the 2nd/3rd round?
a good chance he's available in round 2. A long shot he's avaialable in round 3

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

Hmmm ... I'd take him in Round 2.
mike23md

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

And so would I. But if the organization feels that another position or player of value is there in the 2nd and goes with that, then I would strongly look at Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

And so would I. But if the organization feels that another position or player of value is there in the 2nd and goes with that, then I would strongly look at Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd.

Well, obviously. I think it's also dependent on what the team does in the offseason. IF, say, the Skins sign Dashon Goldson in the offseason but Fletcher decides to retire, then clearly Thomas would not be a wise pick in the 2nd. Right tackle or even another linebacker would be prominent.

But if given my choice, I'd rather see the Skins sign a RT, make Polumbus a backup (giving us depth at the tackle position) and draft Thomas.
mike23md

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

Well, obviously. I think it's also dependent on what the team does in the offseason. IF, say, the Skins sign Dashon Goldson in the offseason but Fletcher decides to retire, then clearly Thomas would not be a wise pick in the 2nd. Right tackle or even another linebacker would be prominent.

But if given my choice, I'd rather see the Skins sign a RT, make Polumbus a backup (giving us depth at the tackle position) and draft Thomas.

If the Skins go after Goldson with a S class this deep, it would be a very big mistake. That being said, I could see them taking a spin on maybe Ellerbe if the Ravens dont sign him.

Frankly, I wouldnt care if Polumbus was the starter and Compton was his back up and we rolled with that. Polumbus is young and he can only improve.

Polumbus also started every game last year and we really didnt miss a beat in the running game.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

im still concerned about Rambo off the field but if they test it all out and they're fine with it, I can live with it. I'm just concerned with these guys who've been suspended in college that they'll be like Trent, Tanard and Fred in the pros.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

If the Skins go after Goldson with a S class this deep, it would be a very big mistake. That being said, I could see them taking a spin on maybe Ellerbe if the Ravens dont sign him.

Frankly, I wouldnt care if Polumbus was the starter and Compton was his back up and we rolled with that. Polumbus is young and he can only improve.

Polumbus also started every game last year and we really didnt miss a beat in the running game.
this safety class is deep with late 1st round to mid riund talent, but lets not act like its deep with Reed, Polumalu, Taylor, Eric berry and Earl Thomas talent.

Signing a FS in FA who's in his prime and was on a SB defense is a good move. There is no guarentee any of the guys later to go late 2nd and beyond turn out to be as good as Goldson.

I only see us signing Ellerbe if Fletch retires before Fa starts and I don't see that happening. To me he's another ilb who's benefited from playing next to Lewis. I think he's good, but overrated... Especially by Bmore fans.

Polumbus is below average, he's not that young (-2Cool and he's ok in run blocking but is abysmal in pass protection. We can live with him at RT but at some point we need a better option if we want rg3 around for the next 10-15 years. I really am looking forward to swing what Compton can do after an entire year of learning on the practice squad.

Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mike23md

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

this safety class is deep with mid round talent, but lets not act like its deep with Reed, Polumalu, Taylor, berry and Thinas talent.

Signing a FS in FA who's in his prone is a good move also

I only see us signing Ellerbe if Fletch retires before Fa starts and I don't see that happening. To me he's another ilb who's benefited from playing next to Lewis. I think he's overrated.

Polumbus is below average, he's not that young -28- and he's ok in run blocking but is abysmal in pass protection. We can live with him at RT but at some point we need a better option if we want rg3 around for the next 10-15 years.

This S class is deep with high end talent.

Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam
Phillip Thomas
Eric Reid
T.J. McDonald
Bacarri Rambo

That is 6 safeties that could go in the first 2 rounds. That is not mid round talent. Mid round would be 4th and 5th rounds.

Than in the 3rd you could see the following come off the board:

Jonathan Cyprien
Robert Lester
Tony Jefferson
D.J. Swearinger
Josh Evans

That is not mid round talent, that is high end talent. Day 1 and Day 2.

This S class is one of the best that has been in a while.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

this safety class is deep with late 1st round to mid riund talent, but lets not act like its deep with Reed, Polumalu, Taylor, Eric berry and Earl Thomas talent.

Signing a FS in FA who's in his prime and was on a SB defense is a good move. There is no guarentee any of the guys later to go late 2nd and beyond turn out to be as good as Goldson.

I only see us signing Ellerbe if Fletch retires before Fa starts and I don't see that happening. To me he's another ilb who's benefited from playing next to Lewis. I think he's good, but overrated... Especially by Bmore fans.

Polumbus is below average, he's not that young (-2Cool and he's ok in run blocking but is abysmal in pass protection. We can live with him at RT but at some point we need a better option if we want rg3 around for the next 10-15 years. I really am looking forward to swing what Compton can do after an entire year of learning on the practice squad.
. Spending big money on a free agent safety would be foolish IMO. Safety just isn't important enough of a position to spend those resources on. Yes we need someone athletic enough to roam the deep field but we can acquire that in the draft. Spend the money where it counts the most, people who rush the passer or score touchdowns.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

this safety class is deep with mid round talent, but lets not act like its deep with Reed, Polumalu, Taylor, berry and Thinas talent.

Signing a FS in FA who's in his prone is a good move also

I only see us signing Ellerbe if Fletch retires before Fa starts and I don't see that happening. To me he's another ilb who's benefited from playing next to Lewis. I think he's overrated.

Polumbus is below average, he's not that young -28- and he's ok in run blocking but is abysmal in pass protection. We can live with him at RT but at some point we need a better option if we want rg3 around for the next 10-15 years.

This S class is deep with high end talent.

Kenny Vaccaro
Matt Elam
Phillip Thomas
Eric Reid
T.J. McDonald
Bacarri Rambo

That is 6 safeties that could go in the first 2 rounds. That is not mid round talent. Mid round would be 4th and 5th rounds.

Than in the 3rd you could see the following come off the board:

Jonathan Cyprien
Robert Lester
Tony Jefferson
D.J. Swearinger
Josh Evans

That is not mid round talent, that is high end talent. Day 1 and Day 2.

This S class is one of the best that has been in a while.
yeah i guess we have different definitions of high end talent. to me high end talent is worthy of a top 15 pick. none of these guys are really high talent in that way, none of them are top of their draft class talent. High talent to me is higher than late 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders.

Again, no guarentee those players turn out to be as good as Byrd, Goldson or Clemons. If we can sign one of these FA safeties we should. If we can't, then look to the 2nd round of the draft.

turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

. Spending big money on a free agent safety would be foolish IMO. Safety just isn't important enough of a position to spend those resources on. Yes we need someone athletic enough to roam the deep field but we can acquire that in the draft. Spend the money where it counts the most, people who rush the passer or score touchdowns.
yeah and to get a player like that you will have to pay. Or draft them high in the draft.

Safety isn't important enough to spend our resources on? Have you watched our secondary since 2009?

MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

yeah and to get a player like that you will have to pay. Or draft them high in the draft.

Safety isn't important enough to spend our resources on? Have you watched our secondary since 2009?
I just said I'd draft one. I'd even use a 2nd or 3rd round pick for one if necessary. But that's a huge difference than signing one of the top free agents on the market. Is the position a need? Yes. Is the position worth spending a large amount of cap towards? No. Safeties just aren't that important when compared to other positions. Draft a guy so he'll be on a cheap contract and use the cap room to improve other areas. A dynamic pass rush can make any secondary look better.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
I just said I'd draft one. I'd even use a 2nd or 3rd round pick for one if necessary. But that's a huge difference than signing one of the top free agents on the market. Is the position a need? Yes. Is the position worth spending a large amount of cap towards? No. Safeties just aren't that important when compared to other positions. Draft a guy so he'll be on a cheap contract and use the cap room to improve other areas. A dynamic pass rush can make any secondary look better.
I thik if you watched our defense the past five seasons you would see how important safety play, especially Free Safety play is to a defense, if you don't have that guy who can roam back there and either make big hits or make plays on the ball, then your secondary will suffer.

I agree that pass rushers are more important and run stoppers but if we CAN get a FS, be it in FA or in the draft we need to do so. I don't know why we would just not use FA as a source to upgrade our safety play when we may be able to get a great upgrade there. If we were able to upgrade the FS position in FA, then we do not have to draft a guy in round 2 or 3 of the draft who may not even turn into starter material.

I'll take a FS upgrade any way I can get it. Free Agency comes before the draft, so if we find someone we really like and can afford in FA, then I think we have to sign them, and I know they will do so.

Marcus21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my post combine Mock its #6...Im sure I will change my mind again after FA.

2) David Amerson CB NCSU
I didnt realize he had such good spped. 4.44 He is big and fast. He had trouble last year always going for the big play. With proper caoching He will be a legit #1 corner. D Hall will be released...

3) Brian Schwenke C Cal
I think they let Kory walk so they will need to draft someone that can play center. Kory was our Backup center Ran a 4.99 so he will fit in ZBS. 31 reps and a great senior bowl

4) Zavier Gooden ILB Missouri
A little on the samll side but strong 27 reps! He is a former safety so he will be great in pass protection. He ran a 4.47 I read he is a team leader and is a thumper!!! He will take Perry place....Perry takes londons place.

5) Shawn Williams S Georgia
Everything I want in a SS! Strong 25 reps! Fast 4.46! He is a big hitter and would be perfect in our system. I read Meriweather had a long way to go in his rehab and would not be ready for OTAs.

5) Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
Good change of pace back. I dont love helu or royster

6) Conner Vernon WR Duke
I hate the idea of having a Dukie on this team, but he would be a great slot reciever. Moss is prolly a goner, so its a need.

7) Ray Ray Armstong FS Miami
Im taking a shot on this dude. Really I couldnt come up with another name in the 7th round so really BPA

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Marcus21 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if the Redskins cut DeAngelo Hall for (CS: 8.0 M). Another possibility is Santana Moss for 4.5 M & Adam Carriker for 4.0 M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: