Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mayock: Fisher Could Battle Joeckel To Be 1st OT Taken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52979
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
Top 5 grade? very very doubtful. Scouts were raving about Smith after the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Scouts are humans too and they can get sucked into the numbers and senior bowl performances like anybody else.


I GUARANTEE you it was not a scout going to his GM and saying, the OT from Baylor, he just tore it up at the Sneior Bowl and Combine.

The Regional Scouts will build their grade based on what they see on the field. What they have seen when they talk to the kid, what they se in practice. It will be a GM comiung back to a scout saying. What does your report say on this kid, he seems to be generating some hype right now.

And they will report to the GM on that and the GM will either choose to take it on board of ignore it.


Bolded: Not that it changes much of your argument but scouts don't regularly attend team practices and I know of a very high number of college coaches who flat out refuse to allow NFL scouts to view actual team practice. This is one reason why NFL scouts and teams love events like the Senior Bowl, because they finally get an up close look at individual prospects in a practice type setting.


Yeah, but if they do get in (Most commonly at the smaller schools, especially those below the FBS division) it will be a part of their eval.


Oh definitely I was just saying it's not really a routine thing for scouts to get to see players in college practices.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conquest8089


Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 2680
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Fisher has the size Scouts Covet. 6-7 305 34" Arms & 10.4" Hands. The rest of the OT class disappointed at Weigh Ins.

Justin Pugh 31.48" Arms are too short to play Left Tackle. Sam Baker's at 32 3/4" have been a liability. More of an Interior Player. Measurables really hurt this guy combined with an injury this past season.

Ricky Wagner has the size, but will run slowly and be relegated to Right Tackle exclusively.

Brian Winter's 32" Arms make him a Guard Prospect.

Aboushi- Mayock said was more of a RT or interior prospect with 32.78" Arms. Speaks volumes about the other guys.

Fluker had impressive length but is suited to play Right Tackle.

That leaves 3 Prospects for Left Offensive Tackle- Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher & Lane Johnson. So expect them to get overdrafted because the talent falls off Marketably.
_________________
I'm The guy who got shunned on FFs for arguing J.J. Watt should be selected 1st Overall in the 2011 Draft. I also thought Gabe Carimi would be a Perennial Pro Bowler. Live & Learn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52979
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Joe Thomas has 32 1/2 inch arms. Hasn't hurt him one bit.

2. Aboushi's not a right tackle because of arm length, he's a right tackle because he can't physically handle the left tackle position.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 5137
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
1. Joe Thomas has 32 1/2 inch arms. Hasn't hurt him one bit.

2. Aboushi's not a right tackle because of arm length, he's a right tackle because he can't physically handle the left tackle position.


Point 2 is correct, really the difference between RT and LT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52979
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
1. Joe Thomas has 32 1/2 inch arms. Hasn't hurt him one bit.

2. Aboushi's not a right tackle because of arm length, he's a right tackle because he can't physically handle the left tackle position.


Point 2 is correct, really the difference between RT and LT.


Said it a week or so ago but Aboushi reminds me of Massie. And that's not a bad thing, Massie's got a lot of good qualities that I like in a tackle. Problem is, we've already got Massie. We don't need another.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 5137
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought massie would make a terrific RG.

Size, strength, nasty etc

Putting someone outside him (Fluker ?) and then moving him in, not necessarily a bad idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52979
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
I always thought massie would make a terrific RG.

Size, strength, nasty etc

Putting someone outside him (Fluker ?) and then moving him in, not necessarily a bad idea.


That's not a bad idea although personally, I'd flip-flop that. I'd keep Massie outside and move Fluker inside. Fluker could be a nasty RG.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50811
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back last night and watched some Justin Pugh. I still thik he is an NFL LT. I don't care about 31.5" arms, he blocks well, he gets the job done.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 5137
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either or, I have mentioned this before.

Fluker at 38 is perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 5137
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Went back last night and watched some Justin Pugh. I still thik he is an NFL LT. I don't care about 31.5" arms, he blocks well, he gets the job done.


He is nasty and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

That covers most shortcomings im my book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50811
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - Are people really that worried about the LT position. I fully beleive we can win a lot of football games with Nate Potter playing LT for us over the next 6-8 years.

Another year in the NFL with John Lott. Another year to build his technique, another year with the unit.

I really think where this team needs help is on the interior of the offensive line. Maybe go out and grab a veteran tackle to help Nate, but I really like him in that spot for us.
_________________

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 5137
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate played well, for a 7th rounder.

Got better as the year went on, some good games, some average games.

He deserves a shot.

Plus he costs like $300k, with our cap position apparently how it is, we have to keep him there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52979
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Also - Are people really that worried about the LT position. I fully beleive we can win a lot of football games with Nate Potter playing LT for us over the next 6-8 years.

Another year in the NFL with John Lott. Another year to build his technique, another year with the unit.

I really think where this team needs help is on the interior of the offensive line. Maybe go out and grab a veteran tackle to help Nate, but I really like him in that spot for us.


I would agree with you but with a new coach, new line coaches, new everything coming in I really don't know what the opinion of Potter will be.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 5137
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost will come into it.

New coaches etc will play a part, but their hands are going to be somewhat tied.

Love to get Albert or Long, but unless we win lotto ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stchamp98


Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 52979
Location: Havre, Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess. I think it will more come down to just the evaluations the coaches give to Potter. If they give him a low grade, the draft will be more of an emphasis to find a tackle. If they give him an adequate or plsu grade, it'll be less of an emphasis.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group