Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Rookie Review: Hanna, Coale, Wilber + More UP
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24758
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: 2012 Rookie Review: Hanna, Coale, Wilber + More UP Reply with quote

Dallas Cowboys 2012 Rookie Review

Ronald Leary, OG

Lance Dunbar, RB

Ben Bass, DL

Cole Beasley, WR

Caleb McSurdy, LB

James Hanna, TE

Danny Coale, WR

Kyle Wilber, DL/LB

Please post your thoughts on the Dallas Cowboys Rookies here.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.


Last edited by Texas_OutLaw7 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24758
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Callahan said Leary is the type of player who needed to play against a better level of competition to get better. The Cowboys' goal was to keep Leary on the practice squad for the season, but the Oakland Raiders claimed him and Dallas blocked the move by promoting him to the active roster on Dec. 22. He was inactive for the last two weeks of the regular season.


Ronald Leary, OG
Quote:

He needs more work in the passing game, especially in picking up the blitz, but it seems the Cowboys want to keep him around more than Phillip Tanner, the other backup running back. Dunbar has good speed and vision and seems to hit holes faster than Tanner. He will compete, possibly with Tanner in training camp, to be Murray's backup. The key for Dunbar, of course, is whether the new special teams coach thinks he can provide an impact on his unit.


Lance Dunbar, RB

Quote:
He possesses good natural strength and moves well for a bigger player. The best hope as the Cowboys go forward is that he can be a rotational player, but it might be asking too much to view him as a possible future starter. He has some versatility that will serve him well, but he will be a player who will face competition as the team looks to upgrade the defensive line.


Ben Bass, DL

Quote:
At 5-8, 177 pounds, Beasley lacks the size you want in a receiver to play on the outside, so he is limited mostly to being a slot receiver. He has the quickness and savvy to play on the inside and he is not afraid.


Cole Beasley, WR
Quote:

To make a move on a roster spot, McSurdy will have to show he can play special teams. In a way he will enter this summer's camp the same way he entered last summer's: fighting for a chance to make the 53-man roster.


Caleb McSurdy, LB

Quote:
Phillips is a free agent, and it appears he in unlikely to return. If that's the case, Hanna would move into the role of No. 2 tight end behind Witten. Hanna has displayed an ability to run good routes and make catches.


James Hanna, TE
Quote:

The hope is that Coale will be ready for the beginning of training camp, but that might be pushing it. The Cowboys could look for wide receiver help in the draft or perhaps look at a low-cost free agent, which would hurt Coale's chances. Because of the foot injury, he never really displayed the 4.3-second 40-yard dash time the Cowboys say he ran at Virginia Tech nor the quickness getting in and out of his cuts. He did show pretty good hands and toughness. He can play inside and outside, which is a plus, and he can be a cover guy on special teams.


Danny Coale, WR

Quote:
The Cowboys touted his work as a possible edge rusher in their 3-4 system after his 13.5 sacks in four years at Wake Forest, but the move to a 4-3 seems to make him an odd fit unless he can fit in at strong side outside linebacker in Monte Kiffin's 4-3 defense.


Kyle Wilber, DL/LB
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.


Last edited by Texas_OutLaw7 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 28545
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claiborne definitely has the ability to be a top corner in the league, and he flashed some of that this year. Has a few things to work on, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #1 guy in a season or two.

Crawford really came on as the year went along. With the move to a 4-3, I think it will benefit him and really maximize his talents. Looking forward to seeing him as the LDE.

It's hard to comment on Wilber, especially when he didn't see much action in base packages. However, he did show some flash with that hit in the final game against Washington. Right now, it looks like he and Albright are in contention for the SLB job.

Matt Johnson must have really impressed the staff during the time he was able to get on the field due to him being designated our only IR'd player eligible for return. He seems like a great fit for Kiffin's scheme as well so hopefully he is able to stay healthy next season and show why so many labeled him a steal for us.

As with Johnson, Coale was derailed by injuries as well. With Harris and Beasley coming along, he's going to have some stiff competition for playing time.

Hanna really, really impressed me. If he can work on his blocking, I think he's our heir apparent to Witten...because his hands are great.

McSurdy showed some flashes during the Oakland game (preseason), but I think our move to a 4-3 limits his abilities to play linebacker. He worked out at FB for us prior to the draft (or shortly after), so he could see himself change positions if he hopes to stay on the team.

I really liked what I saw out of Dunbar and agree he's better than Tanner. Nothing really needs to be said about "Beeznuts", he speaks for himself. It would be great if Leary was able to take over one of the starting OL jobs, but not going to hold my breath.
_________________

^^^Deadpulse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5454
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Claiborne definitely has the ability to be a top corner in the league, and he flashed some of that this year. Has a few things to work on, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #1 guy in a season or two.

Crawford really came on as the year went along. With the move to a 4-3, I think it will benefit him and really maximize his talents. Looking forward to seeing him as the LDE.

It's hard to comment on Wilber, especially when he didn't see much action in base packages. However, he did show some flash with that hit in the final game against Washington. Right now, it looks like he and Albright are in contention for the SLB job.

Matt Johnson must have really impressed the staff during the time he was able to get on the field due to him being designated our only IR'd player eligible for return. He seems like a great fit for Kiffin's scheme as well so hopefully he is able to stay healthy next season and show why so many labeled him a steal for us.

As with Johnson, Coale was derailed by injuries as well. With Harris and Beasley coming along, he's going to have some stiff competition for playing time.

Hanna really, really impressed me. If he can work on his blocking, I think he's our heir apparent to Witten...because his hands are great.

McSurdy showed some flashes during the Oakland game (preseason), but I think our move to a 4-3 limits his abilities to play linebacker. He worked out at FB for us prior to the draft (or shortly after), so he could see himself change positions if he hopes to stay on the team.

I really liked what I saw out of Dunbar and agree he's better than Tanner. Nothing really needs to be said about "Beeznuts", he speaks for himself. It would be great if Leary was able to take over one of the starting OL jobs, but not going to hold my breath.


Not to rag on you again, but was it his 3 catches for 20 yard performance, 2 catches for 45 yard performance, or just hit season total of 8 catches for 86 yards? Admit it. You just have a man crush.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 28545
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Claiborne definitely has the ability to be a top corner in the league, and he flashed some of that this year. Has a few things to work on, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #1 guy in a season or two.

Crawford really came on as the year went along. With the move to a 4-3, I think it will benefit him and really maximize his talents. Looking forward to seeing him as the LDE.

It's hard to comment on Wilber, especially when he didn't see much action in base packages. However, he did show some flash with that hit in the final game against Washington. Right now, it looks like he and Albright are in contention for the SLB job.

Matt Johnson must have really impressed the staff during the time he was able to get on the field due to him being designated our only IR'd player eligible for return. He seems like a great fit for Kiffin's scheme as well so hopefully he is able to stay healthy next season and show why so many labeled him a steal for us.

As with Johnson, Coale was derailed by injuries as well. With Harris and Beasley coming along, he's going to have some stiff competition for playing time.

Hanna really, really impressed me. If he can work on his blocking, I think he's our heir apparent to Witten...because his hands are great.

McSurdy showed some flashes during the Oakland game (preseason), but I think our move to a 4-3 limits his abilities to play linebacker. He worked out at FB for us prior to the draft (or shortly after), so he could see himself change positions if he hopes to stay on the team.

I really liked what I saw out of Dunbar and agree he's better than Tanner. Nothing really needs to be said about "Beeznuts", he speaks for himself. It would be great if Leary was able to take over one of the starting OL jobs, but not going to hold my breath.


Not to rag on you again, but was it his 3 catches for 20 yard performance, 2 catches for 45 yard performance, or just hit season total of 8 catches for 86 yards? Admit it. You just have a man crush.


I probably do, but I think he has potential. Laughing
_________________

^^^Deadpulse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24758
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another unpopular opinion.

Thoughts on McSurdy competing for the FB job?
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3481
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Another unpopular opinion.

Thoughts on McSurdy competing for the FB job?


That's actually interesting. Unlikely, but it's true that if they part with Vickers, then they need an in-house replacement in order to actually save money.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald Leary, OG

Lance Dunbar, RB

Ben Bass, DL

Cole Beasley, WR

Caleb McSurdy, LB


None of these guys are special.

The gm loves Leary. I hope he doesn't let that cloud his view come draft time.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atran35


Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 3019
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole Beasley was wrecking havoc in the 1st Skins game. Romo trust him and the boy has hands. If we can run plays for him the way NE runs it for Welker he can contribute. I see no reason for Miles to run the slot when he benefits more being the Speed/Deep Route guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24758
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Rookies Up!
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dboys88-82


Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 1761
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on bloggingtheboys.com
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/22/3902666/dallas-cowboys-most-productive-defenders-2012-sean-lee-anthony-spencer

Here are the stats of our two top picks last season (the only rookies listed in this article). I encourage everyone to click on the link and look at the defense as a whole and how different players performed.

Tyrone Crawford: 303 snaps played
0 sacks
3 Hits
12 Run Stops
1 coverage stop
0 INT, 0 PD, 0 FF, 0 REC
This was good enough for a total play by play productivity of 5.3%. Good enough for the 4th best percentage out of the defensive linemen. Also had the second most run stops on the defensive line.

Morris Claibrone: 909 Snaps played
0 sacks, 0 hits
3 Run Stops
7 coverage stops
1 interception
7 passes defended
1 Forced fumble
2 recovered fumbles
This was good enough for the 3rd best total play by play productivity for the secondary(2.3%). Second most coverage stops. Second most passes defended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3481
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stops are one of my favorite stats, wish they were used more often. They're still not fully indicative out of context (i.e., maybe the DL destroyed the lineman allowing the linebacker to make the play and the stop), but they're so much more revealing than just tackles.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5454
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Claiborne definitely has the ability to be a top corner in the league, and he flashed some of that this year. Has a few things to work on, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as our #1 guy in a season or two.

Crawford really came on as the year went along. With the move to a 4-3, I think it will benefit him and really maximize his talents. Looking forward to seeing him as the LDE.

It's hard to comment on Wilber, especially when he didn't see much action in base packages. However, he did show some flash with that hit in the final game against Washington. Right now, it looks like he and Albright are in contention for the SLB job.

Matt Johnson must have really impressed the staff during the time he was able to get on the field due to him being designated our only IR'd player eligible for return. He seems like a great fit for Kiffin's scheme as well so hopefully he is able to stay healthy next season and show why so many labeled him a steal for us.

As with Johnson, Coale was derailed by injuries as well. With Harris and Beasley coming along, he's going to have some stiff competition for playing time.

Hanna really, really impressed me. If he can work on his blocking, I think he's our heir apparent to Witten...because his hands are great.

McSurdy showed some flashes during the Oakland game (preseason), but I think our move to a 4-3 limits his abilities to play linebacker. He worked out at FB for us prior to the draft (or shortly after), so he could see himself change positions if he hopes to stay on the team.

I really liked what I saw out of Dunbar and agree he's better than Tanner. Nothing really needs to be said about "Beeznuts", he speaks for himself. It would be great if Leary was able to take over one of the starting OL jobs, but not going to hold my breath.


Not to rag on you again, but was it his 3 catches for 20 yard performance, 2 catches for 45 yard performance, or just hit season total of 8 catches for 86 yards? Admit it. You just have a man crush.


I probably do, but I think he has potential. Laughing


If Hanna can put on some muscle, and increase his blocking ability, I could see Dallas running a lot of 2 TE sets. With his speed, he could even motion out from TE into the slot to spread the D out. I too am really expecting good things from his this year.

As far as Leary, he better either be on the active roster, or be gone come September. Jones didn't take a guard, because he thought Leary would be available. Won't derail the thread by traveling to Jerry is a moronville.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PincheJimmy


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 1395
Location: Flower Mound, TX
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Ronald Leary, OG

Lance Dunbar, RB

Ben Bass, DL

Cole Beasley, WR

Caleb McSurdy, LB


None of these guys are special.

The gm loves Leary. I hope he doesn't let that cloud his view come draft time.


Yes, I am sure the rest of the Staff thinks Leary is garbage but only the GM loves him, nice insight there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Ronald Leary, OG

Lance Dunbar, RB

Ben Bass, DL

Cole Beasley, WR

Caleb McSurdy, LB


None of these guys are special.

The gm loves Leary. I hope he doesn't let that cloud his view come draft time.


Yes, I am sure the rest of the Staff thinks Leary is garbage but only the GM loves him, nice insight there


Where did I say they think he is garbage ? The water in Flower Mound must be vitamin deficient.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group