Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Valhalla Draft Chat: Path to the Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeystoneViking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I like Allen a lot as a good fit with the Vikings offense. If he falls to pick 23, I wouldnt be upset with the selection. He might not have some of the pure raw potential that Cordarrelle Patterson and Terrance Williams possess, which could push him down the board as the #3 or #4 WR.

Based on potential, id probably rank Patterson and Williams as #1 and #2 respectively.

Hate to disagree with you again; but Williams did not have a good week in Mobile and there is a lot of talk about him being a "system" receiver who will need a year or two to get more consistent. At this point most draft sites have him as their fifth or sixth receiver behind Patterson, Allen, Hunter, Hopkins, and Patton and I definitely agree, I do not like Williams as a fit on this team...especially not in the first round.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ogletree news is really too bad. The guy is an elite talent (although very raw) and would be an excellent fit at WLB/ Nickle MLB.

With that said, I think I'd rather go some kind of combination of DeAndre Hopkins/ Arthur Brown in the first 2 rounds anyway.

Either way, I really hope that this doesn't lead to any raised interest in Te'o, who is a horrible fit for this team. The comparison to EJ Henderson brought up is spot on. EJ was a good, but not great, player for this team who certainly helped more than Brinkley, but he was never a good fit.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeystoneViking wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I agree, we finally need to address the MLB spot for good and grab a supremely athletic MLB who excels in getting down field. Even if that player is a slight liability against the run. Ogletree is perfect for us but this arrest probably has him completely off the big board. Getting T'eo would be be basically like adding another E.J. Henderson in my opinion. Great run defender, good player in short area coverage but dreadful getting 15 yards down field to defend the "alley".

Actually from everything I've read and seen on Arthur Brown he is very solid against the run...the only knock on him is his size, but it's never really held him back in terms of shedding blocks or anything and he has the frame to add another 10 pounds if he needs to. In case you can't tell I would love to have him on this team; he is my #1 mancrush at the moment.

I am a big Brown fan myself, I wonder though, if Brinkley returns, if the team will even be looking at a MLB since they will be likely to have a hole at OLB if Erin Henderson leaves. I cant imagine starting 2 rookie Linebackers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeystoneViking wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
I like Allen a lot as a good fit with the Vikings offense. If he falls to pick 23, I wouldnt be upset with the selection. He might not have some of the pure raw potential that Cordarrelle Patterson and Terrance Williams possess, which could push him down the board as the #3 or #4 WR.

Based on potential, id probably rank Patterson and Williams as #1 and #2 respectively.

Hate to disagree with you again; but Williams did not have a good week in Mobile and there is a lot of talk about him being a "system" receiver who will need a year or two to get more consistent. At this point most draft sites have him as their fifth or sixth receiver behind Patterson, Allen, Hunter, Hopkins, and Patton and I definitely agree, I do not like Williams as a fit on this team...especially not in the first round.

Definitely agree with you; Terrance Williams isn't great at all and has little potential. He is a red shirt Senior, so he's pretty maxed out. Terrance Williams has a very weak-unathletic build http://photos.al.com/mobile-press-register/2013/01/senior_bowl_2013_weigh-in_191.html. We're better off drafting a DT in the 1st round than a WR. The drop off is much worse.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Ogletree has a history of substance use. Suspended four games earlier this year due to drug use.

Seems like he is continuing to make bad decisions.

didn't stop us from handing in a draft card for Percy Harvin.

oh wait...

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

I am a big Brown fan myself, I wonder though, if Brinkley returns, if the team will even be looking at a MLB since they will be likely to have a hole at OLB if Erin Henderson leaves. I cant imagine starting 2 rookie Linebackers.

If Spielman passes on Arthur Brown because of Jasper Brinkley, he would deserve to be fired on the spot.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

If Spielman passes on Arthur Brown because of Jasper Brinkley, he would deserve to be fired on the spot.

The better question would be, who is the better starter: Brinkley at MLB or Marvin Mitchell at WLB. That could be reality. I very well could see Brinkley returning as the starter simply due to Mitchell being a likely more needed upgrade and there being limited resources. Just like WR was a need in 2012, it wont be addressed until 2013. MLB could be that position this year, its a need now but we may not be able to fix it until 2014.

However, Brinkley or Mitchell would essentially be a two down starter so there impact would be minimal. You could also argue that the WLB isnt nearly as important as the MLB is. Mitchell didnt even seem to much of a down grade from Henderson when he got to play anyway.

Has a team ever started two rookie Linebackers?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinkley was a hip injury away from being our starting WLB. Both he and Erin were competing for that position after we let Ben Leber walk but Brinkley hurt his hip and Erin was handed the position. I really see no reason he couldn't play as a 2 down WLB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
People are too harsh on Manti. A lot of false opinions have been forced due to his Bowl game performance and the scandal. Te'o is much better than Brinkley and Henderson in coverage. Even before this year. A lot of Te'o's ( Question ) INT's were flukes but watching Te'o he is more than capable of covering a zone, although he will struggle with TE's one on one which is a problem around the entire NFL.

I agree with this. I think he will be a solid MLB, he is smart and instinctive. He put himself in the position to make a play and he did. By far he would be better than Brinkley/Henderson in coverage IMO.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
People are too harsh on Manti. A lot of false opinions have been forced due to his Bowl game performance and the scandal. Te'o is much better than Brinkley and Henderson in coverage. Even before this year. A lot of Te'o's ( Question ) INT's were flukes but watching Te'o he is more than capable of covering a zone, although he will struggle with TE's one on one which is a problem around the entire NFL.

I agree with this. I think he will be a solid MLB, he is smart and instinctive. He put himself in the position to make a play and he did. By far he would be better than Brinkley/Henderson in coverage IMO.

Te'o is simply being over analyzed. The guy is a fantastic football player, and a very good linebacker. Comparing him to Brinkley is an insult, and just further evidence of the over evaluation. And Te'o is leaps and bounds better in coverage, both from an athletic standpoint and an instinctive standpoint, than E.J. Henderson. When Ever I watch Te'o, he reminds me of Jerod Mayo in New England.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Brinkley was a hip injury away from being our starting WLB. Both he and Erin were competing for that position after we let Ben Leber walk but Brinkley hurt his hip and Erin was handed the position. I really see no reason he couldn't play as a 2 down WLB.

This is possible, i have thought of this as well if Brinkley would get a serious look at WLB. It might be a better fit as well for him. it seems the WLB in the Vikes defense really doesnt have significant responsibilites compared to the SLB or MLB. Basically just cover the flats, occasionally knife in and make a tackle, and help contain the edge on running plays. Brinkley wouldnt have to make those deep drops in coverage like the MLB does.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this affects Ogletree's stock a whole lot. This is what people will figure out during psych evals at the combine. If he drops out of the top 25, 1 DUI isn't the main reason.

I still doubt he falls out of the 1st round. If we don't take him, some other top team at the bottom of the draft will take him.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WR's in this draft are hard to get a grasp on.. nobody really stands out.

Hunter, Patterson and Rogers all have elite ability, but huge question marks. Hunter has the injury concerns and doesn't have the best hands/concentration. Patterson is extremely raw, and Rogers has huge character concerns. None of them are someone you want to rely heavily on as a rookie and are too big of a risk to take in the high first round.

Allen, Hopkins, Patton and Williams all are good prospects, but lack elite upside or playmaking ability. I expect they will all measure in a bit smaller than ideal, and will run in the 4.5's. They are all productive and do the small things well but without truly great natural ability it is hard to take them higher than the late 1st round.

Woods, Austin, Wheaton are playmakers but are very undersized. If they blow everyone away with their 40 times they could rise up draft boards but they don't have the frames to be true #1 WR's, and there will always be a high risk of injury. They are all probably best suited in a Harvin type role.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget Ogletree has some on-field issues as well. There's a reason that defence was so bad against the run....

The two Georgia games I watched Ogletree didn't show in the ground game. Got blocked out of the play a lot, more of a wrap-up down the field kind of guy. I don't think you can pick a linebacker that high if he doesn't have an impact against the run.

That said, at 23, he might be decent value if there isn't a good 4-3 DT available.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman wouldn't touch Ogletree even if he had gloves on.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 13 of 100

Jump to: