Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Valhalla Draft Chat: Path to the Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xDarealx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
xDarealx wrote:
Why isn't there a junior bowl. Those are the players I would like to see

The would not make another bowl where they would be helping NCAA players to leave early.

The Senior Bowl is there to try raise awareness of Seniors.
Seniors is good for both the NCAA and NFL.

That's crap. Most of the projected top 10 are juniors. NCAA probably doesn't want to promote leaving early to keep the best players on college teams longer.
And how is that good for the nfl, u have the chance to get a player a year younger or even 2 yrs if they were redshirted.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they did there aren't necessarily enough players to make two teams.

Only...
1 - center
1 - guard
1 - punter
0 - kickers
6 - total LB's

declared this year and it was a record year for underclassmen
xDarealx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Even if they did there aren't necessarily enough players to make two teams.

Only...
1 - center
1 - guard
1 - punter
0 - kickers
6 - total LB's

declared this year and it was a record year for underclassmen

Well add them into the East-West Shrine game
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

east/west game is for mid-late round seniors.

the declared juniors can strut their stuff at the combine. By this time teams around have 75-80% of what they need from a player already. 15-20% comes from interviews and the last 0-5% comes from these post season games.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xDarealx wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
xDarealx wrote:
Why isn't there a junior bowl. Those are the players I would like to see

The would not make another bowl where they would be helping NCAA players to leave early.

The Senior Bowl is there to try raise awareness of Seniors.
Seniors is good for both the NCAA and NFL.

That's crap. Most of the projected top 10 are juniors. NCAA probably doesn't want to promote leaving early to keep the best players on college teams longer.
And how is that good for the nfl, u have the chance to get a player a year younger or even 2 yrs if they were redshirted.

I agree that the NCAA doesnt want to promote leaving early. Thats obvious. But I think the NFL would rather a senior then a junior assuming the level of skill is projected the same. You cant just look at the top 10 players or top 20 players, you need to look at the top 200 players.

NFL teams taking juniors in the early part of the draft are projecting what they could become, not necessarily always what they are right now. NFL teams would likely prefer not to wait 1-2 seasons for them to reach the "better level", but they take the risk. They would likely rather a more finished product and the safer pick if they had the choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but the thought of a "junior" bowl is ridiculous.

Juniors are taking a bigger chance coming out early; therefore, they deserve all the disadvantages that they get by not having such a thing. There are only a handful of players that deserve the opportunity to come out early, and a good majority of the ones that do come out early aren't in that class.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thread title should be changed to "Post Senior Bowl"

Just some food for thought

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Michael Mauti would be an interesting addition to the team

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Jarvis Jones in the 4-3?

I've been watching tape on him, trying to understand why he's a consensus top 5 pick. I just don't understand the hype around this guy as a 3-4 backer. He's most definitely a play-maker and a special talent, but the way I see it, he doesn't belong on the LOS. Far too outmatched strength-wise, even by college linemen. He put up impressive numbers in college simply running by OTs with an incredible first step. But I don't see the fierce hands or bull-rush it takes to keep an NFL tackle off balance. Not to mention he's going to be a complete liability in the run game facing linemen 80 pounds bigger than him.

That being said, I think he could be a much better fit in the 4-3 playing in space where he belongs, and letting the DL take on the big guys for him.

I think there's a VERY good chance he drops to the bottom of round 1, what with him being a 24 yr old rookie with spinal stenosis. He could be an interesting guy for the Vikes to look at. LB is one of our biggest needs, and he might be an interesting fit for us. I know we don't like to blitz our LBs a whole lot, but you put a LB like him on the team and we might be able to give opposing QBs some more exotic looks (see Von Miller and the Broncos).

Does anyone know how this kid fares in coverage? Having a hard time finding footage of him off the LOS.

OR am I just way off base here, and Jarvis actually is THAT great a prospect for the 3-4.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones would be an interesting fit at the WILL position like what we tried to do with Everson Griffen. I don't see him being more than. 2-down linebacker though
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jones is the ideal fit for a 3-4 defense. He is too small to play 4-3 DE, but I really question if he has the ability to play going backwards or sideline to sideline (which is what he would have to do as a WLB). I know people will argue that Von Miller plays in the 4-3, but it seems as though Denvers defense is more of a hybrid scheme and Miller has stupid good explosiveness.

I personally find Jones to be a bit overrated. I've watched Georgia a couple of times and I don't see this crazy explosive or blinding speed guy that people have described him as. I see a guy with a really good motor, but I definitly didnt see a guy that screamed "top 5 pick"
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hunter is going to be one of the combine freaks, just watch. I'd hope they take Hunter in the 1st. He IMO is the best vertical threat in the country.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
Justin Hunter is going to be one of the combine freaks, just watch. I'd hope they take Hunter in the 1st. He IMO is the best vertical threat in the country.

I'd take both Keenan Allen and DeAndre Hopkins over him pretty easily. They both have better hands, run better routes, and are better in yards after the catch. All three of which are very important in the West Coast offense. With that said, I'd probably take Hunter over Williams (same problems as Hunter without the freakish size/speed combo) and Patterson (might be years away from being able to contribute as anything other than a trick play/ screen guy).
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:

I'd take both Keenan Allen and DeAndre Hopkins over him pretty easily. They both have better hands, run better routes, and are better in yards after the catch. All three of which are very important in the West Coast offense. With that said, I'd probably take Hunter over Williams (same problems as Hunter without the freakish size/speed combo) and Patterson (might be years away from being able to contribute as anything other than a trick play/ screen guy).

I'd beg to differ. I think Hunter has better hands than Keenan Allen. Allen bobbles a lot of passes. Hunter is a better vertical threat then both of them. The Vikings need a WR that can go deep off the play action. The short passes will go to Harvin and Wright. If Hunter isn't picked day 1 (which is highly unlikely) the Vikings need to make a move on him. I personally want Alec Ogletree in the 1st round, then pair him up with teammate, Bacarri Rambo, in the 3rd. Rambo and Smith would be such a great combo, then Ogletree flying around in the middle of the field would be beautiful. I'd go 1- Ogletree 2- Da'Rick Rogers 3- Bacarri Rambo.

The combine is going to be great for WRs, so many that it's almost a matter of opinion who's better.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:

I'd beg to differ. I think Hunter has better hands than Keenan Allen. Allen bobbles a lot of passes. Hunter is a better vertical threat then both of them. The Vikings need a WR that can go deep off the play action. The short passes will go to Harvin and Wright. If Hunter isn't picked day 1 (which is highly unlikely) the Vikings need to make a move on him. I personally want Alec Ogletree in the 1st round, then pair him up with teammate, Bacarri Rambo, in the 3rd. Rambo and Smith would be such a great combo, then Ogletree flying around in the middle of the field would be beautiful. I'd go 1- Ogletree 2- Da'Rick Rogers 3- Bacarri Rambo.

The combine is going to be great for WRs, so many that it's almost a matter of opinion who's better.

How very ANTI Rick Spielman of you Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 8 of 100

Jump to: