Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Valhalla Draft Chat: Path to the Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading up or down is all relative to the talent pool available. Granted its early in the process, nothing at pick 23 interests me at WR, DT or DB. The only LB i really like for pick 23 is Minter. I would imagine that the top 3 DTs will be off the board by pick 23 (Hankins, Richardson, Star), and the top two WRs will be off the board (Allen and Patterson).

Honestly, this has got to be one of the worst first rounds in years. Relative to recent years, this has got to be one of the worst pools of first round talent. However, I see a lot of depth at a number of spots like DT, WR or LB, just nobody that stands out as sure fire first round picks. That is why I would prefer a trade down and take advantage of some of the depth in this class and accumulate more 2nd and 3rd rd picks. The Vikes likely need to find 4-5 new starters (WR, OG, DT and LB), I am not sure trading up is really a strategy I would pursue, its generally very costly.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins, the big DT from Georgia, has looked great this week. If we are stuck at 23 I think he would be a good pick.

Sylvester Williams or Sharif Floyd would also be DT options at that pick.

Plenty of options deep in round one this year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Jenkins, the big DT from Georgia, has looked great this week. If we are stuck at 23 I think he would be a good pick.

Sylvester Williams or Sharif Floyd would also be DT options at that pick.

Plenty of options deep in round one this year.

I like Floyd a lot, ive been wondering if he is worth pick 23. Physically, he looks like a good 1 technique player. Though, we are likely going to see a lot of those players we view as 2nd round picks move into round 1 given the lack of perceived talent right now, as I alluded too.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This draft doesn't appear to be super top heavy. Not a bad year to have a low pick.

Kawann Short has had a good week of practice so far and has been quoted saying he likes playing the 1-tech.

Last edited by rpmwr19 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Rambo has looked pretty bad this week. Not decisive and heavy footed.

Scouts have been impressed with (Brandon) Williams' lower body strength but they don't view him as a guy that can eat up blocks necessarily.

He has been put on the ground a few times in 1 on 1's. He gets himself off balance at times. Still out of all the North DT's he gets the best straight up push though. You see the others trying to use their quickness more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

I'd rather not use a 1st round pick on a defensive guy that won't be in on passing downs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
This draft doesn't appear to be super top heavy. Not a bad year to have a low pick.

Kawann Short has had a good week of practice so far and has been quoted saying he likes playing the 1-tech.

Letroy Guion said he likes playing the 1-tech too. Laughing

Though, I think Short is better built for it. He is very thick, unlike Guion and is supposedly a very strong player. his bench and squat (they dont test this but that would be interesting) are probably going to be elite.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

I'd rather not use a 1st round pick on a defensive guy that won't be in on passing downs.

Agreed. First round picks and most second round picks should be 3 down players. Otherwise, using an early pick on a part time player just doesnt seem like an ideal use of resources.

Now adding a future starter is never a bad thing, I would question if Jenkins could actually play in passing situation. His value will be for a 3-4 team, where having a two down interior lineman is much more crucial for the defense.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jenkins could play on passing downs. Our problem at DT is that our DEs get ridiculous rush and the QB is always able to step up. Jenkins is so big but suprisingly nimble that I think he would gobble up sacks in those situations. He isnt going to get alot of sacks on pure penetration, but his size and girth will eliminate all the step ups that QBs do against us.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:
I think Jenkins could play on passing downs. Our problem at DT is that our DEs get ridiculous rush and the QB is always able to step up. Jenkins is so big but suprisingly nimble that I think he would gobble up sacks in those situations. He isnt going to get alot of sacks on pure penetration, but his size and girth will eliminate all the step ups that QBs do against us.

The Vikes do use Allen, Griffen and Robison in most nickel sets, there is only room for one DT. I guess I am on the fence of what that DT should be. I think a player like Short or Floyd could essentially do the same thing at times in terms of holding the point and not allowing a step up lane, but they do have the ability to rush up field unlike Jenkins.

What do you think of Johnathan Hankins? I have seen him ranked all over the place.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
biggsohnasty wrote:

The Vikes do use Allen, Griffen and Robison in most nickel sets, there is only room for one DT. I guess I am on the fence of what that DT should be. I think a player like Short or Floyd could essentially do the same thing at times in terms of holding the point and not allowing a step up lane, but they do have the ability to rush up field unlike Jenkins.

What do you think of Johnathan Hankins? I have seen him ranked all over the place.

From what I've heard of Hankins, he provides even less of a pass rush than Jenkins. Admittedly I havent seen him play a ton or noticed a big impact when I have checked in on Ohio St.

I agree that Short would be a great fit for us. I think he could be good as both a 1 and 3 tech. I am holding out hope that with the depth of the DT class, Short can drop to our 2nd rd spot.

My take on Jenkins is merely a devils advocate response to boost conversation. In a way, I may just be trying to like as many prospects as possible so I am not disappointed in whoever we do take Very Happy
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFL-Network-Players-To-Watch-At-Senior-Bowl/759be64c-7cbe-422a-920b-597bee55c38d

The good stuff comes in the second half of the video, where Charles Davis talks about Jordan Poyer and Quinton Patton.

I'm starting to be really intrigued by both guys.
Thanatos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:

I agree that Short would be a great fit for us. I think he could be good as both a 1 and 3 tech. I am holding out hope that with the depth of the DT class, Short can drop to our 2nd rd spot.

My take on Jenkins is merely a devils advocate response to boost conversation. In a way, I may just be trying to like as many prospects as possible so I am not disappointed in whoever we do take Very Happy

Jenkins might or might not be there for us at 23. I have a feeling that he's a prospect that a team could easily fall in love with and trade up to get him. He's a high boom or bust pick and I see the same thing in Hankins. I don't think that the Vikings are going to be able to take Jenkins in the end. He will be selected a few picks before the Vikings (17-21st)

I have a feeling that Short is going to get a very long look from the Vikings. I am keeping in mind Rick's tendencies and the "new attitude" that Leslie and himself are trying to bring in and Short fits the mold really easily. That interview somebody posted of him sounds like something the Vikings are going to look for. He has leadership ability and that's something that the Vikings might be losing in 3-5 years when K-Wil and Jared are both potentially gone.

We have to remember that WR could easily be another need for us and we pass on the opportunity to draft a solid defensive player because of that need. The ideal scenario to this current moment remains that the Vikings trade down to 28-35 and acquire more picks.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of corners showing stuff this week.

If we want to go with CB in the second we should have some good options.

In other news, I'm sad that everyone is realizing how good Quinton Patton is. Now we won't be able to snatch him in the mid-rounds... Sad
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
Lots of corners showing stuff this week.

If we want to go with CB in the second we should have some good options.

This Trufant kid is looking like a stud. I love how competitive he's been this week, not backing down from anyone.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 4 of 100

Jump to: