Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Valhalla Draft Chat: Path to the Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Hmm

Quote:
As for Winters, he showed the same hand strength and flashed ability to work in space, but his struggles at the point of attack on bigger nose tackles and his struggles to maintain inside leverage with his anchors proves hell need time before hes an NFL ready interior lineman

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-senior-bowl-north-monday-practice-notes.html

It indeed looks like he's shown talent, but could take a while to develop.

That is from Monday not Tuesday.

I pasted the wrong link. The write up is from Tuesday.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your guys favorite source of information? Aside from seeing for yourself?
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read that Brian Winters has looked inconsistent at guard (supposedly has struggled against Jordan Hill and has looked iffy with his pass pro and stance at OG). Looks uncomfortable playing the position.

Still hope the Vikings look at him. The man loves putting guys on their backs.

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
What is your guys favorite source of information? Aside from seeing for yourself?

This is what I'm wondering as well.

As for me, I usually go between WalterFootball and CBSSports for prospect info, and I also like DraftCountdown's mocks.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Klomp wrote:
I know it's about the farthest thing from a 1st round need, but I'd still strongly consider drafting Ezekiel Ansah if there at 23. This guy is going to be a stud.

No way. We can't afford a luxury pick like that in the 1st round.

One thing I'll note is that people were furious a couple years ago about making a "luxury pick" in the second round. Rudolph has worked out pretty well. Sometimes, you have to project out your team needs and not just look at what you need today.

With all of our rotation DEs having contracts ending in 2014, it's not much of a difference from drafting Rudolph when we had Shiancoe and Kleinsasser ahead of him. Now whether it's smart to do it in the first, generally I would agree. But for me, Ansah could be the exception to the rule.

Freakout wrote:
I like a lot of these WR's but I am not enamored with any of them. Where are the big physical 6'3 / 6'4 guys at? Hell I have doubts that Patterson is as big as he is listed.

I wouldn't touch a WR in the first this year. The class is deep and there is a big chance that a good WR will be there in the second. I would be thrilled with Patton, Wheaton, and even Robert Woods.

This draft class is extremely deep. We could conceivably draft someone in the 3rd that provides similar production as someone in the 1st.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference being they are not going to let go of Jared Allen for a raw unproven rookie. He just came off a 12 sack season while playing with a torn shoulder labrum. Then you have a 25 year old Everson Griffen that deserves to start.

Kleinsasser was a year removed from retiring and Shiancoe never meant as much to the team as Jared. If you compare the situations in a vacuum they may be similar but the details around both are very different.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Difference being they are not going to let go of Jared Allen for a raw unproven rookie. He just came off a 12 sack season while playing with a torn shoulder labrum. Then you have a 25 year old Everson Griffen that deserves to start.

Kleinsasser was a year removed from retiring and Shiancoe never meant as much to the team as Jared. If you compare the situations in a vacuum they may be similar but the details around both are very different.

Understandable. However, Jared is also on the wrong side of 30, and you need 2 DEs vs just one TE starting.

Everson was raw and unproven, but we still drafted him when we had Allen, Edwards, and Robison on the roster, a lot like the situation now.

If its just that you don't want us to use a 1st on a DE, its understandable. But it would be shortsighted if we didn't try to add a DE at some point who can develop into a stud. Not just a 6th/7th either.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Larry Warford has been completely dominant so far.

At this point, ideal realistic mock would be to trade Harvin to Cinci for the Raiders' pick (37), sign Greg Jennings, and then draft:

1. Keenan Allen (Cordarrelle Patterson is 1st WR taken by Miami)
2. Larry Warford
2. Arthur Brown
3. Bacarri Rambo
4. Brandon Williams (haven't heard anything about him in practice, but he has impressive measurements)
4. Gerald Hodges
5. Brandon Kauffman (or other BPA WR)
7. Nigel Malone
7. Trade for future 6th
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Understandable. However, Jared is also on the wrong side of 30, and you need 2 DEs vs just one TE starting.

Everson was raw and unproven, but we still drafted him when we had Allen, Edwards, and Robison on the roster, a lot like the situation now.

If its just that you don't want us to use a 1st on a DE, its understandable. But it would be shortsighted if we didn't try to add a DE at some point who can develop into a stud. Not just a 6th/7th either.

I don't mind adding a DE. I could see a guy like John Simon falling in the draft with it becoming clear he is going to really struggle at OLB due to his stiff hips and lacks the athletic ability that teams look for in RDE's. If a guy like that drops to the top of the 4th I would be all over him.

I just can't see using our top 2 picks on a guy that will most likely be a rotational player for a couple of years while he develops. Especially not with the holes we have on the roster at WR and LB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambo has looked pretty bad this week. Not decisive and heavy footed.

Scouts have been impressed with (Brandon) Williams' lower body strength but they don't view him as a guy that can eat up blocks necessarily.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked over Walts newest Mock Draft.
Of course its not an exact science ever and especially now.
Based on who is available at our picks, I'd do this (right now).

1st round = Kevin Minter, MLB, LSU
(replaces Jasper Brinkly)
2nd round = Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama
(replaces Letroy Guion)
3rd round = Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
(replaces Aromashodu/Burton/Simpson)
4th (A) Round = Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State
(replaces Erin Henderson when he leaves via Free Agency)
4th (B) Round = Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois
(replaces Charlie Johnson [in future/now])

Obviously hard to see Arthur Brown available in the 4th, according to this draft, but I would not complain... for the purpose (and more realism) we can inject Tyrann Mathieu, CB as the 4th (A) Round pick instead.

In the mock he had Patterson, Allen, Ogletree, T'eo going before pick 23.
I feel if we sign a "good" Free Agent WR with part of our cap space (and it should be a priority), its way more important to use the pick when Best Player Available meets Team Need.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be concerned with starting two rookie LBs. Granted, the third LB will be splitting a lot of reps with the nickel CB. Though, I would imagine a veteran OLB would be brought in if Henderson does leave. Unless Marvin Mitchell can be a stop gap starter.

I think Khaseem Greene is quickly becoming a draft crush for me. I think this guy could play OLB or MLB for the Vikes. He has fantastic size at 6-1 236 and really wouldnt need to bulk up, though with NFL training, he would get to 240 very quickly.

Greene is very instinctive, is a leader, is a great tackler, sheds blocks well, has the range to cover. There is so much to like about Greene, whether that be at OLB or MLB.

I look at Bobby Wagner as a similar player, a player most viewed as an OLB who ended up getting drafted to play MLB and had a fantastic rookie year.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we want to get Khaseem Greene he would need to be a day 1 pick for us or we'd need to trade which is easier said then done. I simply have Kevin Minter ahead of him as a more complete player.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I think if we want to get Khaseem Greene he would need to be a day 1 pick for us or we'd need to trade which is easier said then done. I simply have Kevin Minter ahead of him as a more complete player.

I would probably rank Minter higher than Greene as well if were looking at a MLB, though I would guess that Greene stands a better chance of falling to round 2 than Minter does. With two fourth round picks and Percy Harvin at our disposal, the team very well could end up picking in the early part of round 2.

Even trading out of the first round is something to consider. I really dont like a lot of prospects in this draft in round 1.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

I would probably rank Minter higher than Greene as well if were looking at a MLB, though I would guess that Greene stands a better chance of falling to round 2 than Minter does. With two fourth round picks and Percy Harvin at our disposal, the team very well could end up picking in the early part of round 2.

Even trading out of the first round is something to consider. I really dont like a lot of prospects in this draft in round 1.

Granted I have not seen alot of film on Greene, and even when looking at his games I was zeroed in on Logan. I agree that Logan has a better chance of falling to a mid round 2, and I would not consider Percy an asset I would want to move by choice. I dont like trading down (unless its a gimme trade down like in recent years (a few spots .. like under 6 but that an arbitrary number obviously). I'm a believer in trading up if need be, and not trading down generally.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 3 of 100

Jump to: