Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Senior Bowl News and Notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Cyprien I think is the smartest safety in this class.

What do you guys thinking about Alford? I feel like he could be a excellent slot CB and take over scan-dink.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
So.. How do you guys know we haven't taken the guys at the top of our board in the past?

To be honest, I don't.

And just to clarify, in the previous scenario, my number one move would be to move down.

A few examples:

1) Quincy Carter was not near the top of the board when we selected him.

2) Felix Jones was not even the top rated runningback on our board, but we took him because we thought he could be a "special complimentary player"

3) In 2009, we were not prepared to take a runningback. After all, we had a vaunted 1-2 punch with Felix and Barber. Lesean McCoy was far and away the top rated player on our board, yet we traded out and ended up with Jason Williams.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't draft for need. Don't draft for quality. Draft for effect. What would be more effective for us now, Pro Bowl OL or a Pro bowl FS?
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
Don't draft for need. Don't draft for quality. Draft for effect. What would be more effective for us now, Pro Bowl OL or a Pro bowl FS?

A better offensive line would help maximize the talent we have on offense...so, I'd say a Pro Bowl OL.

^^^Deadpulse
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:

Again, this is where fans fail, they're completely short-sighted with draft. Newsflash, the odds of a rookie (esp. one drafted outside of the Top 10) being a Pro Bowler in his first season are infinitesimal- more likely, he'll be a liability as a starter. As much as we all love Claiborne, he wasn't even better this past year than Jenkins was in 2011.

Moreover, would you have liked Vlad Ducasse or Bruce Campbell or Morgan Burnett over Sean Lee? Rahim Moore or Ben Ijalana over Bruce Carter? Me neither. Dallas' biggest needs (OL, DL, S) do coincide with the draft's best/deepest positions, so it's reasonable to expect them to be addressed, but it's silly to evaluate the draft based on what they'll do as rookies. It's silly to expect a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be immediately inserted into the starting lineup, no matter who's in front of him.

edit: and to answer your question, it's safety. A true stud on free safety will impact most plays, make the occasional game-changing play, and make Church/Sense/whoever's job much easier. I'd love a stud guard or center but that alone won't make up for 3 other liabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:

Pro bowl guard is the answer. The reason is the fewer times Romo has to pick him self off the ground the better.A pro bowl guard would allow you to control the ball in a game. An o lineman's blocking is important every play. There might be 3-4 consecutive plays that the safety doesn't come into play.
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with drafting oline. We don't have a lot of talent there at all besides Smith. If we want to compete we need to protect Romo and give him a chance to go through his reads. Oline is not a sexy pick and we have lacked a grear safety for a long time but no safety is worth a first round pick and there is good value later in the draft. Safety would be third choice me.with dline and oline ahead

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
I'm in agreement with drafting oline. We don't have a lot of talent there at all besides Smith. If we want to compete we need to protect Romo and give him a chance to go through his reads. Oline is not a sexy pick and we have lacked a grear safety for a long time but no safety is worth a first round pick and there is good value later in the draft. Safety would be third choice me.with dline and oline ahead

To me, if we are not going to heavily invest in our Oline, why give Romo and extension? You give that kind of money to him, maximize his productivity, and help Murray.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
So.. How do you guys know we haven't taken the guys at the top of our board in the past?

To be honest, I don't.

And just to clarify, in the previous scenario, my number one move would be to move down.

A few examples:

2) Felix Jones was not even the top rated runningback on our board, but we took him because we thought he could be a "special complimentary player"

3) In 2009, we were not prepared to take a runningback. After all, we had a vaunted 1-2 punch with Felix and Barber. Lesean McCoy was far and away the top rated player on our board, yet we traded out and ended up with Jason Williams.

Broaddus tweeted out another example: we drafted Al Johnson over Jason Witten despite having a higher grade on Witten. Parcells really wanted Johnson, so we took him. Dodged a bullet there...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

To be honest, I don't.

A few examples:

Broaddus tweeted out another example: we drafted Al Johnson over Jason Witten despite having a higher grade on Witten. Parcells really wanted Johnson, so we took him. Dodged a bullet there...

Good calls on these. Thanks for the heads up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

To be honest, I don't.

A few examples:

Good calls on these. Thanks for the heads up

Yah. I gotta admit . I wanted Chris Johnson and then Felix. I wasn't thinking logically that RB's, especially bruisers do not last. That was the last time I will ever want a RB in the 1st round. Just not worth the value.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

That's twice that Parcells nearly screwed the pooch. First time was Spears over Ware

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

That's twice that Parcells nearly screwed the pooch. First time was Spears over Ware

We got lucky except for barbie carpenter.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
JWingate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

Ugh, Barbie Carpenter was the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

Ugh, Barbie Carpenter was the worst.
I love that Broaddus doesnt worship Parcells like everyone else does. Parcells was a flawed drafter. People all worship him but he really didnt do as much here as people claim.

Broaddus has mentioned that he was let go because he disagreed with Parcells too much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: