Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

David Akers: I was three inches from a perfect day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much money Akers lost for bettors yesterday. I remember a large amount of bets being on the 49ers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gridirongorilla wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
Who was the other kicker we brought in for the tryout. Either Maiocco or Barrows said he actually kicked really well.

Cundiff and since he was waived, per nfl rules we can't re-sign him this season.

I was talking about that Medlock guy. Like somebody already stated. He hit 21-22 FGs in the kickoff against cundiff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwentundrafted wrote:
gridirongorilla wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
Who was the other kicker we brought in for the tryout. Either Maiocco or Barrows said he actually kicked really well.

Cundiff and since he was waived, per nfl rules we can't re-sign him this season.

I was talking about that Medlock guy. Like somebody already stated. He hit 21-22 FGs in the kickoff against cundiff.
at this point I'd rather go for it every time then let Akers miss another kick. He missed a 38 yarder IN A DOME!!! A 38 yarder should be a kick made 9 out of 10 times by any NFL kicker especially inside a dome.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is honestly what I would do at this point.

Bring this Medlock guy back. Have him kick 20-25 FG's like last time. If he hits 90% of them like last time. Tell him ok we are going to give you 5 FG's from 45-50. You make all 5 of them you get the job, you miss one and your done. Let the dude kick 5 of them. If he hits 4 of 5 give him the job.

Have no clue why Harbaugh would already openly say Akers is our kicker. Maybe to help with his confidence? But at this point it shouldnt matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwentundrafted wrote:
This is honestly what I would do at this point.

Bring this Medlock guy back. Have him kick 20-25 FG's like last time. If he hits 90% of them like last time. Tell him ok we are going to give you 5 FG's from 45-50. You make all 5 of them you get the job, you miss one and your done. Let the dude kick 5 of them. If he hits 4 of 5 give him the job.

Have no clue why Harbaugh would already openly say Akers is our kicker. Maybe to help with his confidence? But at this point it shouldnt matter.
yeah Akers is done. Id rather take the gamble on another guy than letting Akers let us down in the Super Bowl.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
gridirongorilla wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:

at this point I'd rather go for it every time then let Akers miss another kick. He missed a 38 yarder IN A DOME!!! A 38 yarder should be a kick made 9 out of 10 times by any NFL kicker especially inside a dome.

Well, maybe that was his 10th time.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
sbrown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:
gridirongorilla wrote:
iwentundrafted wrote:

Well, maybe that was his 10th time

I physically LOL'd i guess there's a silver lining

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we bring another bum in who misses a field goal it's really not a risk. Yeah he might miss it, but Akers would most certainly miss it. If we have to send Akers out on the field to win the game... That might be the most horrible minutes of my sports watching life.

Hey is Owen pochman available?
Italian49erFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...is it just me or the risk of a second coming of the Scott Norwood syndrome is high...
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Akers remind me of Chuck Knoblauch.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
elvischannel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I say we let Andy Lee kick FGs for us. I bet he'd do better than Akers.

Kicker controversy anyone?!?!?!?!?

Exactly! Because punters and kickers have different muscle memory and technique, we should see what Andy Lee can do with the drop kick. I'm confident that he could bring that back out of the dustbin of history. He is skilled enough with direction and distance to do it.
sherm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I've been 3 inches away from glory too. Sad means nothing if u can't hit it.
Italian49erFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvischannel wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
I say we let Andy Lee kick FGs for us. I bet he'd do better than Akers.

Kicker controversy anyone?!?!?!?!?

Exactly! Because punters and kickers have different muscle memory and technique, we should see what Andy Lee can do with the drop kick. I'm confident that he could bring that back out of the dustbin of history. He is skilled enough with direction and distance to do it.

I was a rugby player for nearly 20 years and for 8 years at quite high level, so believe me when I say that drop kicks are definitely way less reliable than a place kick, especially with a football that is even more elongated than a rugby ball. In rugby penalty kicks from 50/60 yards are quite common, but drop kicks from that distance are soooo rare and even more rarely attempted, because their veeeery low chances of succeding.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: David Akers: I was three inches from a perfect day Reply with quote

Timeout!

I finally just read the quote that started this thread off, and I think there's a more shocking development going on here:

Quote:
I felt really good going out and kicking the ball. I thought it would come in a little bit more. Again, it’s just one of those things I just keep scratching my head.”

Question Question Question Question Question

Was he expecting wind in a dome??????

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: David Akers: I was three inches from a perfect day Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Timeout!

I finally just read the quote that started this thread off, and I think there's a more shocking development going on here:

Quote:
I felt really good going out and kicking the ball. I thought it would come in a little bit more. Again, it’s just one of those things I just keep scratching my head.”

Question Question Question Question Question

Was he expecting wind in a dome??????

Well, I didn't see the sidelines, but maybe The Condor was flapping those wings of his.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: