Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do coordinators help in draft selection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Do coordinators help in draft selection? Reply with quote

With the addition of Ray Horton, it made me think of something I never really thought about. Do Offensive/Defensive coordinators have a say in the draft?

I know they wouldn't get final selection, but do they scout along with the HC, GM, and scouts?

Seems to me that Horton would be one of the most qualified people on our staff to pick out a college pass rusher.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do coordinators help in draft selection? Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
With the addition of Ray Horton, it made me think of something I never really thought about. Do Offensive/Defensive coordinators have a say in the draft?

I know they wouldn't get final selection, but do they scout along with the HC, GM, and scouts?

Seems to me that Horton would be one of the most qualified people on our staff to pick out a college pass rusher.

Well, all the talk of our front office is that it's going to be a group effort, so I would assume so.
Pruitt3443

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed that most of the coaches, and certainly the coordinators had input on every teams draft, to a greater or lesser extent depending on the situation.

I would think more so when putting together a new staff and looking at potential new schemes.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pruitt3443 wrote:
I always assumed that most of the coaches, and certainly the coordinators had input on every teams draft, to a greater or lesser extent depending on the situation.

I would think more so when putting together a new staff and looking at potential new schemes

I mean I figured this. I was just hoping it wasn't a situation where Ray would say... "I want to run a 3-4" then weed through the players, pencil in players in certain spots that he feels they would fit and say... "I need a OLB" and then everyone else finds him a OLB. Banner and Lombardi pick an OLB without Horton giving much input on which ones he likes and why.

cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they have some input. Turner after reviewing our off. players tells Brown's what he would like to have to improve the offense position wise and Horton the same. They probably even list them fram 1st to last most important. They probably won't get everything thay want right away. Turner most likely wants a t.e.,left guard, full back and another verticle w.r. and possibly a q.b. Horton probably would love to have a 3/4 o.l.b. or two,a corner and free safety. Than a kicker and punter is up in the air also.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
I'm sure they have some input. Turner after reviewing our off. players tells Brown's what he would like to have to improve the offense position wise and Horton the same. They probably even list them fram 1st to last most important. They probably won't get everything thay want right away. Turner most likely wants a t.e.,left guard, full back and another verticle w.r. and possibly a q.b. Horton probably would love to have a 3/4 o.l.b. or two,a corner and free safety. Than a kicker and punter is up in the air also.

Yea. That I pretty much knew...

But do they get a say in which ones are drafted... is the question I'm wondering.

cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsubrowns9510 wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

Yea. That I pretty much knew...

But do they get a say in which ones are drafted... is the question I'm wondering.

I doubt it. Say Horton wants Milliner c.b. but the Brown's brass want someone else they will go with someone else.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: