Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Can the Browns become the Ravens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qball

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Can the Browns become the Ravens? Reply with quote

I know - they are us. I will never forgive Art or the city of Baltimore.

They are headed to the Super Bowl.

Is their success the blueprint for the Browns?

Do the Browns have the players to have this kind of a run of success?

Addressing the players we have:

Can Trent Richardson be our Ray Rice?

Explosive runner...well see. I've seen the tape from Alabama. I'm willing to give him a lot of credit for playing hurt. Real good hands. Versitale and a legit 3 down weapon. Yes he is.

Can Greg Little be our Anquan Boldin?

Every time I see one - I think of the other. Little is tough and physical. He can make difficult catches in tight spaces. He can be tenacious and gritty. Can he mature and become a Boldin type player?

Can Josh Gordon be our Torrey Smith?

Fast and explosive. Check. Game changing size and speed. Check. I think Flash Gordon can make people say about Torrey Smith "He is a poor man's Josh Gordon."

Making the switch to the 3-4.

The Browns have a lot of talented players on D. Some of the key peices are in place. They have a ton of cap room. The draft can provide a dynamic player on the defensive side of the ball. Ray Horton brings attitude and the knowledge to implement a tough, smart, agressive style of defense.

Most importantly...

Can Brandon Weeden become Joe Flacco?

Big arm. Toughness in the pocket? Intelligence at the line? Respect of his team? Flacco is a throwback. He makes tough throws and stands in the pocket like Elway. He is very underrated as an athlete and can make plays with his feet.

Weeden has a lot of these attributes. Can Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner get the most out of him?

I think the potential is there for a 4-6 year run of success. He has a lot of the tools and I think he is worth a shot.

This is the most important question the new regime must answer.

As much as it pains me to say....I want the Browns to become the Ravens.
Wolfhunt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first....the Browns have already become the Ravens once already.

Their success is a blueprint led by Ozzie Newsome. We have never had a guy in charge of operations like him since we have come back to the league....wish we could have gotten him here.

Trent showed what he can do with broken ribs...I think he will be better than Ray Rice.

The problem with the D is we have no idea what we are going to be running yet. Once we figure that out we can then do a better comparison.

Brandon Weeden on his best day will never be confused with Flacco. The guy just downright sucks.
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have players that match up similarly, but they have absolute studs and legends on Defense that we lack. Ngata, Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Kruger....we don' have those studs on defense.

Need a pass rusher and a couple leaders to take this team to the next level. I get the feeling Ray Horton will have the guys fired up and ready to take that next step though. Need a pass rusher badly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking but the biggest problem... Weeden will never have a chance to develop into a Flacco-esque QB. I think his age is too much of a hurdle at this point, and the new FO will probably end up getting their own guy next year.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We became the Ravens in 95/96 lets not do that again.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
brownie man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My and my buddies were discussing talking about that earlier. I really think that our offense looks alot more similar to B-more than people realize. Personnel wise our receivers have alot of the same roles. You look at Anquan then the type of player Greg Little is. Then you look at Torrey and Josh Gordon both athletic deep threats. Jordan Cameron is physically similar to Dennis Pitta. You got T-rich whos a all purpose guy like Ray Rice, and then you got B-Weedon who can stretch the field and hopefully game manage enough to get the ball in the hands of those playmakers.

Build that defense up and I think we may have something. [/code]
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfhunt wrote:

Their success is a blueprint led by Ozzie Newsome. We have never had a guy in charge of operations like him since we have come back to the league....wish we could have gotten him here.

Trent showed what he can do with broken ribs...I think he will be better than Ray Rice.

The problem with the D is we have no idea what we are going to be running yet. Once we figure that out we can then do a better comparison.

Brandon Weeden on his best day will never be confused with Flacco. The guy just downright sucks.

You gave Newsome too much credit.

Hopeful you are right about Richardson.

We do have an idea what defense we will be running since we hired a DC, what we don't know is when it will be better.

You're just downright wrong about Weeden and offered nothing but a strong negative opinion when you had an opportunity to provide something to explain it.

Flacco has had several bad games, including several his rookie year (4 games that year with zero TDs and multiple INTs).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Wolfhunt wrote:

We do have an idea what defense we will be running since we hired a DC, what we don't know is when it will be better.

You're just downright wrong about Weeden and offered nothing but a strong negative opinion when you had an opportunity to provide something to explain it.

Flacco has had several bad games, including several his rookie year (4 games that year with zero TDs and multiple INTs).

Goodluck with this one Entropy. This dude thinks McCoy is more like Tom Brady than Weeden is like Flacco.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
Fullback40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Weeden is not Joe Flacco. He's never gonna be that good. Ever.

I like Weeden as a stop gap QB until we can find our true franchise guy, but the answer is no. Weeden is going to improve his decision making as time goes on and be a top 20 QB, but he is never going to make the jump to that elite category.

And we don't have a leader on our defense like Ray Lewis. They have three HOF players on that defense. We have 0.

Ngata-Lewis-Reed Taylor-D'Qwell-Haden

mmmm I'm going with the best trio of defenders in the NFL in the Ravens.

We could have a more explosive offense than them, but I don't think any team in the NFL is going to have another Ngata-Lewis-Reed type combo any time soon.
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Wolfhunt wrote:

Goodluck with this one Entropy. This dude thinks McCoy is more like Tom Brady than Weeden is like Flacco.

Yeah, I just couldn't let him stay that stuff with no counterpoint. Very Happy

By the way, Flacco started 19 games (3 playoff games) his rookie season. He had 8 games with zero TDs, the Ravens were 4-4 in those games. He had 6 games with multiple INTs (in all of those games combined, he threw ONE TD total), they were 1-5 in those games, the only game the Ravens won was against Cleveland, and that wasn't even the game he threw the TD pass in.

Flacco also had 9 games where his completion percentage was under 52% that year. The Ravens were 6-3 in those games. He also had 14 games where he threw for under 200 yards. The Ravens were 9-5 in those games.

He had 8 games where he threw for under 150 yards. The Ravens were 6-2 in those games. He had 2 games over 248 yards (2-0), and zero 300 yard games.

Now, Weeden had 6 games where he threw multiple INTs, he threw 5 TDs combined in those games (1-5), 6 games with zero TDs (2-4), 3 games where his CMP was under 52% (1-2), 5 games under 200 yards (2-3), 3 games under 150 yards (1-2).

Weeden had 5 games over 248 yards, including 3 300+ yard games (1-4).

Pretty easy to see that Weeden did more for his team than Flacco and Flacco was carried more by his team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
We have players that match up similarly, but they have absolute studs and legends on Defense that we lack. Ngata, Lewis, Reed, Suggs, Kruger....we don' have those studs on defense.

Need a pass rusher and a couple leaders to take this team to the next level. I get the feeling Ray Horton will have the guys fired up and ready to take that next step though. Need a pass rusher badly.

Well we do have #6 pick in the draft. We could have our pass rusher there. Also I think we got the solid tools in place. Now we need leadership and a true ray lewis to emerge on our D for us to even talk about our D in the same sentence as theres.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: