Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I want The Honey Badger former LSU Tigers DB!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black, you said it. A kid. Kids screw up. It happens. Surely your past isnt squeeky clean. If a team checks off on his character, thats all I need.

People mature and can learn from thier mistakes. Dont be so quick to give up on people, especially kids. Cause thats what he is.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can use the scale he was caught with to weigh the pros and cons.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
Black, you said it. A kid. Kids screw up. It happens. Surely your past isnt squeeky clean. If a team checks off on his character, thats all I need.

People mature and can learn from thier mistakes. Dont be so quick to give up on people, especially kids. Cause thats what he is.

People can change, but they can also blow their chances. Mathieu showed that when he was arrested for marijuana possession after already being kicked off of the team. I certainly agree with you that the talent is there, but the NFL is littered with incredibly talented guys who thought the rules didn't apply to them and ended up getting themselves bounced from the league. For every Chris Carter, there are ten Albert Haynesworths.

I don't mean to argue, though I realize I am lol, but my point is simply that the Vikings would be using a finite and valuable asset to acquire him. Good teams are judicious in their use of draft picks. The Patriots waited until the 7th round to take Dennard, not the 4th round or higher. At that point, the risk is lessened because those picks seldom make the team anyway. Vontaze Burfict didn't have substance abuse issues and was never kicked off of his team, and he went undrafted.

If you use a 1st or 2nd day pick on Mathieu, you are likely just reinforcing the idea in his head that he can do whatever he feels, and it will work out because he's got talent. If he goes undrafted and the Vikings sign him, or if the Vikings use a 6th or 7th round pick on him, then I'm fine with taking a shot on him. However, if you are talking about 3rd or 4th round picks, I think you can find solid contributors who come without the risks. When you're trying to build a long-term contender, you have to minimize your risks and pick your spots. The spot for Mathieu is not on the first two days of the Draft.

I don't want to give up on the kid, but I would want to mitigate the possible fallout if he returns to his previous ways.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieu, the former LSU cornerback of popular "Honey Badger'' fame and 2011 Heisman hopes, was dismissed from the Tigers last August due to substance abuse issues that prompted a month-long stay in drug rehabilitation. He sat out the 2012 season, but re-enrolled at LSU for the fall semester, only to be arrested on a marijuana possession charge in late October. Never considered an elite NFL prospect to begin with, Mathieu is projected to last at least until the fourth round, but he's at the combine trying to resurrect his football fortunes.

Mathieu has been working out in preparation for the combine with former LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, the Arizona Cardinals standout who shares an agent with Mathieu. Peterson has taken an active role in helping his ex-teammate rehabilitate his name and game. But Mathieu said a second stint in drug rehabilitation -- this one after his late October arrest -- proved pivotal in convincing him he was already down to his last chance in football.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130224/tyrann-mathieu-and-darick-rogers-address-media-to-try-and-improve-stock/#ixzz2M9qpwzrB

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me a bit of Ryan Perriloux
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front office generally sticks to need selection in the earlier rounds, but zeroes in on value at those positions. As much as I do like Tyrann Mathieu, he's a third round grade in my books and it'd be an interesting, minor reach if we were to look for him in the latter of round two. I personally think a team will take him in the early portion of round two, rendering the possibility moot anyways.

"Fit" is my issue.

The NFC North is a division with bigger, physical receivers. Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, etc.

The right type of cornerbacks to counter or neutralize that size of athlete would be lengthier, physical matchup-type. Think Xavier Rhodes, for example.

If he were available in the third round, I'd be all over Tyrann Mathieu. I'm almost certain he won't be though.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this guy had zero character issues, how high would he be drafted?

Webmaster wrote:
TrueViking28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Mid 2nd to early 3rd

vike daddy wrote:
boondock wrote:
Usually small dogs will wet themselves when they get excited.

happens to me when the nurse comes in with fresh oatmeal. yum!
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueViking28 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

Mid 2nd to early 3rd

Agreed. This guy doesn't have Janoris Jenkins' talent or athleticism.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After his showing at the combine, my earlier feelings towards the Honey Badger are confirmed even more. Looking at him before the 5th round would be a failure on behalf of the front office.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, who was kicked off the team just months after becoming a Heisman Trophy finalist, reportedly told at least one NFL team that he failed so many drug tests in college that he couldn’t even remember them all.

An assistant coach for an NFL team told Jarrett Bell of USA Today that when that team interviewed Mathieu, he was asked how many drug tests he had failed in college.

“I quit counting at 10,” Mathieu answered. “I really don’t know.”

The assistant who passed along that story also told USA Today that Mathieu’s statement had him questioning LSU as much as he questions Mathieu.

“If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help,” the coach said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/12/report-mathieu-told-nfl-coaches-he-failed-more-than-10-drug-tests/

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The assistant who passed along that story also told USA Today that Mathieu’s statement had him questioning LSU as much as he questions Mathieu.

“If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help,” the coach said.

Sounds kind of like a kicker who didn't have a special teams coach to help him when he went through a terrible senior year.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/12/mathieu-lsu-went-to-great-lengths-to-help-me-in-my-treatment-and-recovery/

from Mathieu himself: "LSU has a strong drug testing program and LSU went to great lengths to help me in my treatment and recovery. "
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Vikings draft Mathieu before the 7th round I will be sick.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say no to Honey Badger

McFadden for nickel!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: