Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I want The Honey Badger former LSU Tigers DB!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malachi2532

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: I want The Honey Badger former LSU Tigers DB!!!! Reply with quote

You can never have too many CBs when it comes to the NFL and especially in the NFC North.

I like what this kid brought to the table for LSU. He was just um a Honey Badger Cool tearing up the football field on Saturdays. I would love to see this team's back field made from this list of guys: Tyrann Mathieu

LCB Antoine Winfield Josh Robinson
SS Mistral Raymond Robert Blanton
FS Harrison Smith Jamarca Sanford
RCB Chris Cook A.J. Jefferson Marcus Sherels

Plus with the addition of some free agents and draft picks that is a heck of a back field. I'd like to see a tad bit more aggression in the defense though and I think a quality back field gives a Coordinator and the rest of the defense a certain confidence/swag to play with that aggression.

"Harry The Hit Man" Harrison Smith's drafting is kind of what I'm talking about. He is a smart hard hitter, who can also get picks. If Jamarca Sanford continues to play the way he did plus actually get the INTs H.Smith was able to rack up would be great. Antoine Winfield will be holding down his Nickle spot for one more year, hopefully. With his size Chris Cook is a guy who can match-up nice with other big WRs in the NFC North. The speedy little guy Josh Robinson who plays like he has something to prove (Little Mans Complex) Smile is still improving and developing but did lose his job to newcomer A.J. Jefferson who showed he can play as well. With the other guys M.Sherels, R.Blanton and M.Raymond filling the depth chart and playing special teams.

Just Was wondering guys' take on him fitting in on this Minnesota Vikings team?

Since as a football player we would all have him on the squad; also considering there has to be a team that is going to be willing to take a gamble on him. Where that team's risk-reward bar is set may be too high for a team with our current developing back field so. What round pick do you think he is worth?

Thanks
SKOL VIKINGS!!!
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him as a prospect:

He could start the season as a Punt Return and a defensive special teamer since he did have good tackling skills. Eventually, he could become a slot corner for us next year after Winfield retires if he develop into one.

We dont take another CB earlier in the draft I would take him with our late 4th round pick.

Benefit would be that Sherels could be cut if he takes the PR spot, as Sherels doesnt really offer much else.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't even like him as a prospect.

He's got good ball skills and is a solid returner but there is just something about the way he plays that I don't think will translate to the NFL.

So you assume too much. As a football player, I would not want him on this team.
malachi2532

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

He's got good ball skills and is a solid returner but there is just something about the way he plays that I don't think will translate to the NFL.

So you assume too much. As a football player, I would not want him on this team.

What he did in college made him a top prospect so as a football player who has a knack to be around the ball as well as the ability to SCORE TDs is a decent reason for us to add him when you have free spots i.e. Burton, Sherels there are a couple more guys I could name. He is a playmaker and a big playmaker at that. He can put a decent hit on people as well. What he has shown is that he has what can not be taught to someone. That alone stands out to be a pure football player attribute. Pure not meaning he is the best but just when it comes to football he can do that and excel. As far as potential goes he brings a lot more to the table then the two guys mentioned above.

It'd be cool to hear what that "just some thing" is before you can say I'm assuming. I mean what you said about his football kind of sound like you want him more than your opinion on him does.

If it's a character issue that's okay with me if you feel that way. This is the easy way out right here. Not say I'm assuming just cuz your opinion is different than mine.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? I think he is a heck of a football player. (See above post, got in b4 me).
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want him as well. Worst case he is a significant improvement over Marcus Sherels as a PR returner.

On defense, he is obviously a gamer as he was in the heismen race. Check out Janoris Jenkins (forced into a year off of relevent college football) and Russell Wilson (height deficiencies). Both performing at a high level at the Pro Level and have overcome the knocks that the Honey Badger have.

The fact is he makes game changing plays, I would love him in purple.
usdvikes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see him being a good replacement for Winfield at some point.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieu was over matched physically against guys like Da'Rick Rogers. Mathieu is even smaller than Winfield if you can believe that as well.

He also plays out of control and isn't a wrap up tackler. He has to try and throw himself around like a bowling ball to make an impact. He leaves himself open to being hurdled (see Florida game).

Now, those are things that can be worked on with proper coaching but his short stature and short arms make it hard for me to believe he will ever be a good tackler; which is something he will need to be being a slot corner. A year off of football paired with his character issues there is no way I touch him.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no way I would not take a risk on him.
Its a calculated risk, and its a good gamble in the later rounds.
The fact that he has been away from Football from a year, is the only reason he would be available late. If he interviews well, theres pure upside for his selection then more of the name thrown around in the later rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I feel he would be worth the risk. Dude just knows how to play football. I think your (rpmwr19) concerns about tackling could be coached up as you said. If you want to stay away because of a character issue that is fine as well. I believe he could fit in well in MN.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love it if we drafted him, however, I wouldn't want him to be any more than a #4 CB on this team. Guys like Rodgers or Stafford would just pick him apart.

But, I'd take a great return man and a very good #4 CB. He'd be absolutely worth it!

down but not out. I still believe!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu isnít participating in the Senior Bowl this week but that isnít stopping him from using the mass congregation of NFL personnel upon Mobile, Ala. as a chance to begin repairing his draft stock. Mathieu declared himself eligible for the NFL Draft after being dismissed by LSU rather than transferring to another school.

Mathieu: ĒIím not really looking forward to people trusting me today or tomorrow. Trust takes time, especially when youíve done a lot of things for people not to be able to trust you. It may take two years. It may take five years, it may take until Iím 30 years old for people to start trusting Tyrann again. But the truth is, Iím doing the right things and just looking forward to being a football player.Ē

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/tyrann-mathieu-hopeful-to-speak-with-nfl-teams-at-senior-bowl/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PaulWall_23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Loved what he was saying...untill he went third person Rolling Eyes
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I will say about Mathieu is that our scheme is designed in such a way that he could be successful in it.

He's best cast as a zone corner.
Thanatos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
The one thing I will say about Mathieu is that our scheme is designed in such a way that he could be successful in it.

He's best cast as a zone corner.

This. I feel that he's a good fit for our defense. I think he's a dynamic playmaker but I wouldn't take him before round 4. I think that there is better talent and fits in the class that will likely be there before round 4.

His return abilities are obviously a plus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: