Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Senior bowl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlights and lowlights from the first day of practice

Supposedly Eric Fisher dazzled and looked like a top 10 pick and could dethrone Jockel as the top OT prospect. Also OU's Lane Johnson impressed in the South's practice.

Landry Jones QB from OU looked like the best QB on day 1 showing an outstanding arm and supposedly moved around the pocket better than scouts thought he would.

Kawann Short went 5 for 5 in one on one drills and Sylvester Williams from UNC was blowing up plays with his quickness.

Hometown boy Vance Mcdonald from Rice really opened eyes. A scout said, "He is explosive in his release and is a very smooth route-runner. He did drop one ball but made several other impressive grabs. He looked like a second-round talent."

Oregon State Wr Markus Wheaton supposedly had an excellent practice. He avoided press coverage with his quickness and showed a second gear when the ball went up in the air.

Best nickname goes to SMU defensive end Margus Hunt, from Estonia, who is called "The Eastern Block." The 6-foot-8 monster of a human being had 17 blocked kicks in college. And the inevitable JJ comparisons have already begun.

A couple of quotes from some scouts and executives

"I can't believe some of these teams are trying to talk themselves into (N.C. State QB) Mike Glennon. I don't see it." -- NFC personnel executive

"I don't think it's a done deal that (Texas A&M's Luke) Joeckel will be the top offensive tackle taken. In my opinion, Fisher has more upside." -- AFC Scout

In five years, (Georgia NT) John Jenkins will be a multi-year Pro Bowler or he'll be out of the league. I don't think there will be anything in between." -- NFC executive

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH and Apollo's Baylor boy T.Williams is showing to be a 1 trick pony so far at the Senior Bowl practices.

Scouts are saying he waste way to many steps getting in and out of breaks and struggled to run any route on the route tree other than the 9 route or fly.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
JH and Apollo's Baylor boy T.Williams is showing to be a 1 trick pony so far at the Senior Bowl practices.

Scouts are saying he waste way to many steps getting in and out of breaks and struggled to run any route on the route tree other than the 9 route or fly.

Nice bs interpretation hater. Same type of crap ill informed people tried to say when minimizing Kendall Wright's production when anyone who knows Baylor football knows that the receivers line up all over the field and run every route in the most productive system in college football. Contrary to your out of context take, Williams been consistently listed as one of the primary standouts. Keep trying to justify the 700 yard receivers who MAY develop into something when Williams already did that in college by developing from a 900 yard secondary threat to a primary threat last year, with Nick Florence throwing the ball, not RG3...

Quote:
Three up

Terrance Williams, Baylor. Williams started the week with a bang Monday with a couple of highlight-reel catches while establishing himself as one of the fastest players on the field. On Tuesday, he had some drops and didn't play fearlessly when going cross-field, which could paint him as an outside-only threat. Williams rebounded Wednesday with another excellent practice where he again showed a lot of excellent quickness in individual and team drills but also made an adjustment to a deep ball from Tyler Wilson and caught what would have been a touchdown. He even tacked on a nice block during the 7-on-7 drills. Considering size and skills, he's the best receiver in Mobile, which frankly shouldn't come as a big surprise since he had double-digit touchdowns the last two years and 1,832 yards in 2012.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Nice bs interpretation hater. Same type of crap ill informed people tried to say when minimizing Kendall Wright's production when anyone who knows Baylor football knows that the receivers line up all over the field and run every route in the most productive system in college football. Contrary to your out of context take, Williams been consistently listed as one of the primary standouts. Keep trying to justify the 700 yard receivers who MAY develop into something when Williams already did that in college by developing from a 900 yard secondary threat to a primary threat last year, with Nick Florence throwing the ball, not RG3...

Quote:
Three up

Terrance Williams, Baylor. Williams started the week with a bang Monday with a couple of highlight-reel catches while establishing himself as one of the fastest players on the field. On Tuesday, he had some drops and didn't play fearlessly when going cross-field, which could paint him as an outside-only threat. Williams rebounded Wednesday with another excellent practice where he again showed a lot of excellent quickness in individual and team drills but also made an adjustment to a deep ball from Tyler Wilson and caught what would have been a touchdown. He even tacked on a nice block during the 7-on-7 drills. Considering size and skills, he's the best receiver in Mobile, which frankly shouldn't come as a big surprise since he had double-digit touchdowns the last two years and 1,832 yards in 2012.

Nothing in that analysis mentioned his route running, heck I could get Marquise Goodwin from UT to get deep and catch the ball.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
LORK 88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I asked one of my close friends who was down there and he said Williams looked pretty good, not great. Quinton Patton is the one who wowed him the most. Keep in mind, Williams doesn't have as much to prove at the Senior Bowl as Patton does.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Quote:
Three up

Nothing in that analysis mentioned his route running, heck I could get Marquise Goodwin from UT to get deep and catch the ball.

I just don't understand why you're acting this way. I would love if the Texans drafted Ryan Swope or any other Aggie. I'm all about the Texans getting better.

Terrance is what he is. I've had multiple posts all year where I've said basically what you said, minus all the haterade. Terrance is a phenomenal receiver. One whom I believe would be a great pick in the first round. He has elite body control to go up and get the ball, he is very physical and a terrific run blocker, because of a relentless work ethic. He has terrific hands, in two years of watching every game I saw him drop 1 pass. Not to mention a great frame with above average speed to boot.

IMO, he is a much more polished Torrey Smith coming out, minus Smith's quickness.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Quote:
Three up

I just don't understand why you're acting this way. I would love if the Texans drafted Ryan Swope or any other Aggie. I'm all about the Texans getting better.

Terrance is what he is. I've had multiple posts all year where I've said basically what you said, minus all the haterade. Terrance is a phenomenal receiver. One whom I believe would be a great pick in the first round. He has elite body control to go up and get the ball, he is very physical and a terrific run blocker, because of a relentless work ethic. He has terrific hands, in two years of watching every game I saw him drop 1 pass. Not to mention a great frame with above average speed to boot.

IMO, he is a much more polished Torrey Smith coming out, minus Smith's quickness.

I'm usually the guy who takes on our Baylor contingency - and I really have no need to this draft season, as we're all pretty high on Williams. A few bad outings at the Senior Bowl isn't going to change anything in regards to him - he's more than established his place amongst this WR class, a very solid, top heavy class at that. He's a top 5 talent at the position at the absolute worst, the #1 prospect at the position at absolute best.

Now, I don't want to hear about phantom return skills and all (I love you Travis, I really do) but net/net, Williams is one of the two WRs I'd like to see the Texans draft, with Justin Hunter slightly edging him out as THE mancrush I'll have this draft season. I would be estatic with either WR, and - the way I see it - the worse they do with the scouting world watching, the better; It's not like we have a pick in the mid teens this year, so every drop, every "sloppy" route is a point in our favor.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Quote:
Three up

There was zero hatred intended behind any of my post.

Aside from that, ya a deep threat would theoretically loosen up the back end of opposing defenses, but what does that do when our QB doesnt have the arm to hit those guys. I wouldnt be opposed to drafting Williams, I just believe there are better options for our offense.

And on the Aggie homer not, I would only draft Jockel, Moore's scary and I doubt he excels in the league. I wouldn't draft Swope til the 3rd round and wouldnt touch Micheal at RB, never seen anything from him going back to high school that says he will produce in the NFL.

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Terrance Williams and think that if we're going for a guy with speed and the potential to develop into a major threat opposite Andre, we could do worse in this draft that Williams.

That said, Quinton Patton is the guy I have circled for us in the first round. He possesses a lot of the qualities many of us admired in Mohamed Sanu last year, but is more explosive, more of a playmaker, and is more refined in his route-running. For a guy who only measures out at 6 foot nothing, he has an incredible catch-radius and vertical, and is extremely strong in fighting off jams and battling for the ball.

I do my best to make my top 64 big board as based-on-my-own-observation as I can, and right now I have Patton as my #1 WR and a top 15 player in the draft.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Quote:
Three up

There was zero hatred intended behind any of my post.

Aside from that, ya a deep threat would theoretically loosen up the back end of opposing defenses, but what does that do when our QB doesnt have the arm to hit those guys. I wouldnt be opposed to drafting Williams, I just believe there are better options for our offense.

And on the Aggie homer not, I would only draft Jockel, Moore's scary and I doubt he excels in the league. I wouldn't draft Swope til the 3rd round and wouldnt touch Micheal at RB, never seen anything from him going back to high school that says he will produce in the NFL.

Using selective facts is called misconstruing, and on forum talk that can be considered "hating".

You're misinformed if you think Terrance is a one trick pony, though. He excels at deep routes and that is where he is best, but it would be ignorant to say that he couldn't become better at the other things with practice. He was also Florence's go-to guy on third down, where he ran a myriad of option routes finding the soft spot in the zone. He's a smart, consistent, and extremely hard worker. Coach Briles has said it for years (before he broke out his junior season) that Terrance was going to get his opportunity because of his tireless work ethic and his consistency. A few too many steps coming in and out of breaks is expected for a guy who usually doesn't run those routes, no?

Also, Kenney, I also love Patton. I would be elated with him at 27.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel with a GREAT throw for a TD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landry Jones is TURRIBLE. Wish my guy Mike James would get a few carries....good pass blocking and catching so far though

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

Only QB that I like in this draft class. Thank god we dont have a huge need at QB because the others in this game is horribad. Laughing

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Only QB that I like in this draft class. Thank god we dont have a huge need at QB because the others in this game is horribad. Laughing

Given everything I heard, Manuel just got himself some first round consideration. Showed off a cannon arm, and was very tough in the pocket, stood tall and delivered even when pressure was on him. A few people liken Manuel to Ben Roethlenberger in that respect - might make a boneheaded throw, but he's a big guy who can withstand a beating, extend a play, and when things start to present themselves, he's got a beastly arm to take advantage of broken down coverage.

Very Roethlensberger-esque.

Gonna be hard to get him now...but who knows who does what in between now and draft day?

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Given everything I heard, Manuel just got himself some first round consideration. Showed off a cannon arm, and was very tough in the pocket, stood tall and delivered even when pressure was on him. A few people liken Manuel to Ben Roethlenberger in that respect - might make a boneheaded throw, but he's a big guy who can withstand a beating, extend a play, and when things start to present themselves, he's got a beastly arm to take advantage of broken down coverage.

Very Roethlensberger-esque.

Gonna be hard to get him now...but who knows who does what in between now and draft day?

Maybe he'll smoke some weed or take some Adderrall and slide to the 3rd / 4th... I would still be up for grabbing him there Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: