Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ted Monachino- Coaching Candidate for PHI Eagles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Ted Monachino- Coaching Candidate for PHI Eagles Reply with quote

This is NOT good news. Sure our defense has been playing better as of late. But IMO Monachino's influence in the development of Kruger and even Suggs improvement from those down years can not be understated.

Plus, I still don't trust Dean Pees. I still have him on a 1 year, prove that you can restore our defense to top 5-10 status, leeway. I want Upshaw to continue his improvement under Monachino.

The only good thing about Pees is that I don't view him as a guy that's ever going to be a 'hot HCing candidate' type like I see Monachino being/becoming. We probably would've only had him on borrowed time anyway. So really Pees excelling is our best possible scenario... that way we can finally have some sort of consistency at the DC spot as Ray Lewis leaves. Having a lot of turnover without his presence in the future can be a big deal.

And you could say, "well Ed will be there", but I'm not sure Ed is a guy who I feel will unify a locker room. Ed's always been the type to do what he wants to do and say what he wants to say. He does it on the field, in the media, and I'm sure he does it in the locker room. He'll call out a franchise QB or coach. Lewis seems much more contained. His methods seem to be moreso directed at getting the best result out of his team.

But back to Monachino, this guy is probably our most talented defensive coach in terms of what he's been able to accomplish. I do not want to lose this guy, especially in the same offseason as we're surely going to lose Paul Kruger. Not only would we be left to find a replacement (Martindale would likely be the LBers coach, but someone would have to man the outside linebackers at that point) but we'd be left to find that replacement at such a late juncture. Staffs league wide have mostly already been assembled. We'd be behind that curve in that one respect. And with the loss of Kruger.. developing another pass rusher (be it Upshaw, 2013 draft pick, or both) will be key... and Monachino was a guy I trusted mightily in that department.

It also might put Philly in position to target Kruger, but that's a whole other story...

Thoughts?

Last edited by diamondbull424 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
drd23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?

I agree that losing him is not great, especially at such a time where the defense is transitioning but the Ravens always find a way to develop good coaches and I have faith that they can continue to do that.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
mcdni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/28/ravens-assistant-ted-monachino-in-mix-for-eagles-defensive-coordinator/

It would be a big loss. He was very good to listen to during the Sounds of Championship Week that was aired on NFL Network. He was in the booth during the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
Link?

I agree that losing him is not great, especially at such a time where the defense is transitioning but the Ravens always find a way to develop good coaches and I have faith that they can continue to do that.

Yeah, I forgot to include the link for some reason. Definitely copied it in preparation to link it... simply forgot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdni wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/28/ravens-assistant-ted-monachino-in-mix-for-eagles-defensive-coordinator/

It would be a big loss. He was very good to listen to during the Sounds of Championship Week that was aired on NFL Network. He was in the booth during the game.

Yeah, thanks for a alternate link.

Monachino is/was shaping up to be my next Chuck Pagano.

The fact that the Eagles still haven't filled their DC position after Kelly has been there for a decent bit, makes me think that Monachino is basically as good as gone. He's their main guy, I'd have to think, and with it being a promotion and us not being able to match that element... I can't see him staying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
mcdni wrote:

The fact that the Eagles still haven't filled their DC position after Kelly has been there for a decent bit, makes me think that Monachino is basically as good as gone. He's their main guy, I'd have to think, and with it being a promotion and us not being able to match that element... I can't see him staying.

Its possible they're holding out for 49er's secondary coach Ed Donatell, so there is still a chance Monachino stays in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
mcdni wrote:

Not doubting that well allow him to interview but doesn't it not count as a promotion by the rules. All assistant positions are considered lateral moves IIRC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
mcdni wrote:

Not doubting that well allow him to interview but doesn't it not count as a promotion by the rules. All assistant positions are considered lateral moves IIRC

I'm not sure about league rules in that respect... Though I do believe I've heard that. I'm just saying, if you have an opportunity to make more money somewhere else with a more prestigious title... And you knew that could put you into a great place career wise for the top job in your profession... Would you turn that down? I can't see why Pees would turn that down unless the Ravens decided to match the pay while somehow upgrading his title... And doing all that can cause friction on a staff if egos get crossed.

If Monachino is offered defensive coordinator, especially with an opportunity like he'd have in Philly with their talent defensively, you'd have to think that's an ideal landing spot to launch pad you into a HC gig if you can simply turn that defense around.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

If Monachino is offered defensive coordinator, especially with an opportunity like he'd have in Philly with their talent defensively, you'd have to think that's an ideal landing spot to launch pad you into a HC gig if you can simply turn that defense around.

I don't disagree, but my point was more that I think we would have to give him permission to interview for the position. I think that we would, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I don't disagree, but my point was more that I think we would have to give him permission to interview for the position. I think that we would, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

You are correct in that all "assistant" coaching jobs are considered on the same level according to the rules so we wouldn't have to let Monachino even interview, but I'm pretty sure we would anyway.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: