Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Draft Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: The Draft Thread Reply with quote

Now that most of the coaching changes and big offseason changes to the staff is wrapping up and close to done, and with the Senior bowl coming up this week i figured and we're going to get a lot of draft info flowing in the coming weeks/months, i figured i'd just get us somewhere to put it all.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Shumway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Duffman, you can't start a draft thread and then not give us any opinions on the draft. I login here just to get your expert opinion.

Are you hoping for Dion Jordan at 11, or hoping for OL in the first?

I'm certainly no expert, but adding an elite pass rusher (Jordan, Mingo or Ansah very intriguing but 11 is too early) is more appealing to me. Then improving OL in the 2nd and or 3rd.

I know OL is probably more of a need than OLB, but remember our OTs were 6th round and UDFA this year, so just about anything will be an upgrade. Comes back to BPA vs position of need a little bit and I just feel it's more likely that the BPA is one of the pass rushers rather than Fisher or Warmack.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the turnover, it's going to be really hard to predict the draft. For the first time in a while, I'm a lot more interested to see what happens when free agency opens up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping we can sign an LT in free agency(Jake Long, Will Beatty, Branden Albert) allowing us to draft an OLB(Werner, Mingo, or Jordan) at pick 11 instead. But if we can't get an LT in free agency, we will pretty much have to pick Eric Fisher if he's there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
I'm hoping we can sign an LT in free agency(Jake Long, Will Beatty, Branden Albert) allowing us to draft an OLB(Werner, Mingo, or Jordan) at pick 11 instead. But if we can't get an LT in free agency, we will pretty much have to pick Eric Fisher if he's there.

I'm 99% that Fisher is the pick at 7, 8 or 10. We'd have to trade up for him. I think we need to sign a vet LT that has been in the league 7 seasons unless we are willing to overpay. I am all for just going BPA in the draft. Next year is a rearming year. We'll improve but we have too many holes to fill in one off season.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realistic options in free agency::

Sam Baker, Atlanta Falcons
William Beatty, New York Giants
King Dunlap, Philadelphia Eagles
Sebastion Vollmer, New England Patriots
Bryant Mckinnie, Baltimore Ravens

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Realistic options in free agency::

Sam Baker, Atlanta Falcons
William Beatty, New York Giants
King Dunlap, Philadelphia Eagles
Sebastion Vollmer, New England Patriots
Bryant Mckinnie, Baltimore Ravens

I wasn't sold on Beatty in the draft, and my stance hasn't changed. He still doesn't play strong, and that lets him get pushed around.

Vollmer's injuries scare me, but his play would be worth some risk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of these guys are going to be book-ends for ten years. Just hopefully good enough to not get our QB killed next season and maybe 2014 if we still can't value in the draft.

I'm not wishing for the moon. Just an improvement from Harris and Clary.

EverythingSF wrote:
lakeroy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
lakeroy wrote:

I'm 99% that Fisher is the pick at 7, 8 or 10. We'd have to trade up for him. I think we need to sign a vet LT that has been in the league 7 seasons unless we are willing to overpay. I am all for just going BPA in the draft. Next year is a rearming year. We'll improve but we have too many holes to fill in one off season.
I am too, but only if we can sign an LT in FA. If we go into the draft with Harris and Haslam as our only tackles, we will have to take a tackle in the 1st round even if it means reaching for someone like Lane Johnson. Otherwise, Rivers might be forced into early retirement.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
lakeroy wrote:

Sorry, i started that in a bit of a time crunch but here's my draft thoughs: I'll eventually try to break it down by position but i'll just go with the earlier rounds for now.

I'm really hoping for Fisher at this point in the 1st. I'm of the opinion that Joeckel drops to #7, as i dont think he's the premiere LT that everyone makes him out to be, though i do think he is good, more on the Clady level now, where he's not a good run blocker, but excels in pass pro with his athleticism. Fisher is light, but he's physical, and actually is strong for how light he is, you can see on some down blocks he can really drive guys off the ball. He can play high though. Chance Warmack is my 2nd option with the 11 pick, just because he's so damn physical and is basically an instant run game. And its possible that those guys are gone by the time we pick. After that is when i'd look at one of those high athleticism pass rushers. DJ is my first choice, Mingo and Ansah are next, and its gonna count on the combine to see who i favor honestly. The wildcard of the group is Jarvis Jones. He has the same back injury that McNeil has, but Gronk also has that same issue and he's been able to play at an elite level through that. It will be interesting to see where he drops because he's a top 5 talent with injury issues. I dont like any CBs at this point honestly, the only one i liked that didn't come out was Roby from OSU.

The guy that may be my favorite player in the draft is Travis Frederick. I think we would make him a MASSIVE run grading RG or LG that could really make a run game almost all by himself, and he played C all this year, so he definitely has that versatility. He's a guy to watch for in the 2nd round. If we dont get a OT in the first round, then it gets iinteresting. I think Lane Johnson bumps up to the 1st round on athleticism. That leaves a bunch of guys who are really questionable at LT. I feel like we have to get a good backup plan in FA before the draft, because we're in a rough situation if we dont get Fisher IMO. Dallas Thomas is our best bet at that point, and he played OG all this year, but i see the feet for him to play LT.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Barkey88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
lakeroy wrote:

Sorry, i started that in a bit of a time crunch but here's my draft thoughs: I'll eventually try to break it down by position but i'll just go with the earlier rounds for now.

I'm really hoping for Fisher at this point in the 1st. I'm of the opinion that Joeckel drops to #7, as i dont think he's the premiere LT that everyone makes him out to be, though i do think he is good, more on the Clady level now, where he's not a good run blocker, but excels in pass pro with his athleticism. Fisher is light, but he's physical, and actually is strong for how light he is, you can see on some down blocks he can really drive guys off the ball. He can play high though. Chance Warmack is my 2nd option with the 11 pick, just because he's so damn physical and is basically an instant run game. And its possible that those guys are gone by the time we pick. After that is when i'd look at one of those high athleticism pass rushers. DJ is my first choice, Mingo and Ansah are next, and its gonna count on the combine to see who i favor honestly. The wildcard of the group is Jarvis Jones. He has the same back injury that McNeil has, but Gronk also has that same issue and he's been able to play at an elite level through that. It will be interesting to see where he drops because he's a top 5 talent with injury issues. I dont like any CBs at this point honestly, the only one i liked that didn't come out was Roby from OSU.

The guy that may be my favorite player in the draft is Travis Frederick. I think we would make him a MASSIVE run grading RG or LG that could really make a run game almost all by himself, and he played C all this year, so he definitely has that versatility. He's a guy to watch for in the 2nd round. If we dont get a OT in the first round, then it gets iinteresting. I think Lane Johnson bumps up to the 1st round on athleticism. That leaves a bunch of guys who are really questionable at LT. I feel like we have to get a good backup plan in FA before the draft, because we're in a rough situation if we dont get Fisher IMO. Dallas Thomas is our best bet at that point, and he played OG all this year, but i see the feet for him to play LT.

If Fisher ends up getting taken before our pick, or if we sign a vet LT in FA, then I think Warmack would be a huge boost to our line. He is a physical freak and like you said could contribute to the run game right away. I also would love to see someone like Okafor drop to our pick in the second.

My friend is a huge texas fan so I have watched a few of their games this season and Okafor is a physical specimen. Texas moved him around a lot so I could see him being a big pass rusher for us that could sub in.
Xero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of Jonathan Franklin RB of UCLA?
sanitizer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is pre-mature, but after 1 day of Senior Bowl practices, I think we need to look past Eric Fisher, this guy is something else. He's going to be one of those guys who improves throughout the week and jumps up the boards. If he makes it to 11 I think it will be some sort of miracle. He just moves too well to drop out of the top 10.

As most guys on this board are already saying, the hope is to sign an FA tackle so we can go BPA in the draft. The one guy who scares me is Lane Johnson, because of the glaring need and uncertainty of the new front office, are we going to be a BPA team, or are we going to reach to fill needs. Not saying Johnson won't be good, but his size and and pure athleticism may push him higher on big boards than he deserves.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
Maybe this is pre-mature, but after 1 day of Senior Bowl practices, I think we need to look past Eric Fisher, this guy is something else. He's going to be one of those guys who improves throughout the week and jumps up the boards. If he makes it to 11 I think it will be some sort of miracle. He just moves too well to drop out of the top 10.

As most guys on this board are already saying, the hope is to sign an FA tackle so we can go BPA in the draft. The one guy who scares me is Lane Johnson, because of the glaring need and uncertainty of the new front office, are we going to be a BPA team, or are we going to reach to fill needs. Not saying Johnson won't be good, but his size and and pure athleticism may push him higher on big boards than he deserves.

Telesco was pretty clear that his aim is for value to meet need and that he's not going to reach just to fill a need. Granted that could be just lip-service or "valuation" is subjective since he and the staff are the ones placing the value on guys, but it doesn't sound to me like they're pigeonholing themselves into feeling the need to go OL and OL only in the 1st round.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks defensive line is a possibility here? I'm not in love with any of the cornerback prospects this year and its quite possible Joeckel and Fisher are gone by the time we pick. I think if we have a chance to grab a nose tackle like Johnathon Hankins we have to consider it. If its rush linebacker, then I hope we trade back a bit and go for Ansah or Alex Okafor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: