Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doug Free...what is his future in Dallas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should Dallas do with Doug Free
Cut Free
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Move to RG
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Swing OT
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Move to DT
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Tyshine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
A part-time RT isn't worth anywhere near the cash Free is making, though. And the rotation between him and Parnell is basically unsustainable IMO. And he might've played better once he got his playing time cut, but he was far from great.

I don't know the cap implications but I don't think bringing him back can be justified in any way.

Unless he costs more to get rid off I agree.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't get why people think he could fit at guard?

He should stay on the team, atleast long enough for the coaches to see if he can bounce back (which I believe he can). Also remember, he played decent towards the end of the season. If the coaches evaluate that he suck once again, we should try to move him for a late round pick or cut him towards the end of camp if we can't find someone who will take him.

- I remember hearing something about him being in talks about changing his contract and take a pay cut, anyone who heard the same?
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Northland wrote:
His performance warrants being cut, however can we afford to cut him given his contract? How much of a hit would we take? Maybe we try him at guard. If there is a worse starting RT in the game I would like to know.

If we cut him before june 1 it would save us 7 million dollars. We wouldnt get this money until then, but it would be very useful when trying to sign our rookies to deals. It is what we did with Terence Newman last year.

If we cut him now, it only saves us 3 mil in cap space. He is currently allocated 7mil salary + 2mil bonus =9mil cap number for 2013. He has 2mil bonuses in 2014 and 2015, therefore, 9mil cap number minus 6mil(combined prorated bonus) = 3mil cap savings. The problem with that though is , are you comfortable with Parnell and a rookie at RT, or do we keep him for one more year, and cut him in 2014, where his cap number is 10mil and his bonuses total only 4mil, thus saving us 6 mil in cap space.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
Northland wrote:
His performance warrants being cut, however can we afford to cut him given his contract? How much of a hit would we take? Maybe we try him at guard. If there is a worse starting RT in the game I would like to know.

If we cut him before june 1 it would save us 7 million dollars. We wouldnt get this money until then, but it would be very useful when trying to sign our rookies to deals. It is what we did with Terence Newman last year.

If we cut him now, it only saves us 3 mil in cap space. He is currently allocated 7mil salary + 2mil bonus =9mil cap number for 2013. He has 2mil bonuses in 2014 and 2015, therefore, 9mil cap number minus 6mil(combined prorated bonus) = 3mil cap savings. The problem with that though is , are you comfortable with Parnell and a rookie at RT, or do we keep him for one more year, and cut him in 2014, where his cap number is 10mil and his bonuses total only 4mil, thus saving us 6 mil in cap space.

Free was the worst starting tackle in the league. I am comfortable with anything else.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
I really don't get why people think he could fit at guard?

He should stay on the team, at least long enough for the coaches to see if he can bounce back (which I believe he can). Also remember, he played decent towards the end of the season. If the coaches evaluate that he suck once again, we should try to move him for a late round pick or cut him towards the end of camp if we can't find someone who will take him.

- I remember hearing something about him being in talks about changing his contract and take a pay cut, anyone who heard the same?

I don't get the guard thing either. I think people assume it's just easier to play guard. No. It's a different set of skills. Guards have to be more compact and powerful. I saw Free getting bull rushed by guys 80 lbs lighter than him. No way he can be switch to guard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: