Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doug Free...what is his future in Dallas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should Dallas do with Doug Free
Cut Free
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Move to RG
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Swing OT
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Move to DT
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Doug Free...what is his future in Dallas Reply with quote

Doug Free...what is his future in Dallas...good question

Cut him and move on??? more dead money in the future

Move him to RG??? what about Leary and other prospects?

Bench him and start Parnell...really expensive swing tackle???

I know...move him to the Defense and make him a back up DT???

HELP

Peace
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he isn't cut, he'll likely be our starting RT again next year. I think he either stays and starts or is cut. Why no option for him starting next year?

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that is the only option for Dallas...but after the year he had...or should i say the last 2 years he has had can Dallas really afford to let his play at RT continue?...there has to be another answer.

Peace
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soda I think it's very unlikely he gets cut. It's too much salary to eat regarding the cap. Maybe he could flourish as a guard. The right side of the Dallas o line is one of if not the worst in the nfl. Watching Free bend over to help Tony get off his back after being sacked gets old and is very disappointing.

As much as I would love to have a new dt in the first round I think Jerry needs to fix the right side of the o line in the first 2 rounds and just end this mess. We've had a flea market o line for years. Time for that to change.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Free's future in Dallas?

Slim and None...and Slim just left town.
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His performance warrants being cut, however can we afford to cut him given his contract? How much of a hit would we take? Maybe we try him at guard. If there is a worse starting RT in the game I would like to know.
atran35

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move him to guard. Move B-MAC to Center. Draft another guard and FA a RT( Andre Smith ). I would love to cut him but too much DEAD MONEY.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
His performance warrants being cut, however can we afford to cut him given his contract? How much of a hit would we take? Maybe we try him at guard. If there is a worse starting RT in the game I would like to know.

If we cut him before june 1 it would save us 7 million dollars. We wouldnt get this money until then, but it would be very useful when trying to sign our rookies to deals. It is what we did with Terence Newman last year.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
Move him to guard. Move B-MAC to Center. Draft another guard and FA a RT( Andre Smith ). I would love to cut him but too much DEAD MONEY.

Free doesn't have the ability to play guard. He'd be even more abused playing inside.

^^^Deadpulse
Northland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Northland wrote:

If we cut him before june 1 it would save us 7 million dollars. We wouldnt get this money until then, but it would be very useful when trying to sign our rookies to deals. It is what we did with Terence Newman last year.

Thanks for the clarification re the cap and salary implications. Based on this I say cut him. We can always insert a pylon at RT. We will get the same results.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, according to one of the Cowboys Talking Heads (don't recall which), Free's contract is structured in a way that Dallas can reclaim some money based on certain factors. As a result, they suspect that Free will be back. And in truth Free played well the moment the rotation started.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Apparently, according to one of the Cowboys Talking Heads (don't recall which), Free's contract is structured in a way that Dallas can reclaim some money based on certain factors. As a result, they suspect that Free will be back. And in truth Free played well the moment the rotation started.

I still think we should draft an OT if a good one (Bakhtiari) is available.

^^^Deadpulse
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A part-time RT isn't worth anywhere near the cash Free is making, though. And the rotation between him and Parnell is basically unsustainable IMO. And he might've played better once he got his playing time cut, but he was far from great.

I don't know the cap implications but I don't think bringing him back can be justified in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Does that mean we can keep him for LEAGUE MINIMUM Smile
Cerbs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what we get in free agency and the draft. Right now I really couldn't say because for all we know, he might still be our best option next season. Jerry and Jason are going to be more concerned with converting our defense to a 4- 3, so likely most of our focus will be on defensive positions in the offseason, particularly with Anthony Spencer's future with the team in question.

But realistically, he's a liability. I definitely think he should be removed from our line one way or another, but he might not be our biggest concern in the offseason. Pretty sure we're going to have to deal with him at least one more season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: