Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lets try a mock draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Lets try a mock draft Reply with quote

Thought I'd give a mock offseason a shot for the first time this year. Only did the ledger thing to try and keep myself within the ballpark of possibility, not because I think all those are definitely accurate figures. I did it in notepad, but FF deletes spaces, it used to look much neater. Anyway, feedback and suggestions welcome, about players or contracts. Tear it up.

Available cap space +18.7 mil

Sue DE Jonathan Fanene for being a piece of [expletive/removed] +2.6 mil
Restructure DT Vince Wilfork +4.0 mil
Cut TE Daniel Fells +1.0 mil
Cut FS Steve Gregory +0.6 mil
Approx. total cap space +26.9 mil

Part with RB Danny Woodhead
Part with WR Wes Welker
Part with WR Deion Branch
Part with WR Dont'e Stallworth
Part with RT Sebastian Vollmer
Part with OG Jamey Richard
Part with DE Trevor Scott
Part with LB Tracy White
Part with SS Patrick Chung
Part with SS Josh Barrett
Part with CB Derrick Martin
Nontender TE Michael Hoomanawanui

Sign WR Julian Edelman -1.5 mil
Sign WR Donnie Avery -3.0 mil
Sign OG Donald Thomas -2.0 mil
Sign DE Armond Armstead -1.5 mil
Sign LB Dane Fletcher -0.8 mil
Sign LB Niko Koutouvides -0.8 mil
Sign LB DeAndre Levy -1.0 mil
Sign SS Charles Woodson (obligatory something about Sciz here) -5.0 mil
Sign CB Aqib Talib -6.0 mil
Sign CB Kyle Arrington -1.5 mil
Sign CB Marquice Cole -0.8 mil
Approx. total veteran salaries -23.9 mil

Draft DT Sylvester Williams (1st rd)
Draft WR Markus Wheaton (2nd rd)
Draft RT Brennan Williams (3rd rd)
Draft CB Tyrann Mathieu (7th rd)
Draft FS John Boyett (7th rd)
Approx. total rookie salaries -3.0 mil

Total space +26.9 mil
Total costs -26.9 mil
Remaining cap space +0.0 mil

EDIT: Note that defense would be:

Dennard / McCourty / Woodson / Talib
Mayo / Spikes / Hightower
Jones / Williams / Wilfork / Armstead

With Francis and Ninkovich rotating as rushers, Mathieu and Arrington in the slot, and Dowling hopefully getting it together.

Offense would be the same except with Hernandez in the slot more and Wheaton or Avery outside.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the Donnie Avery signing, I'm holding out hope for Danny Amendola and Brian Hartline.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as these types of things go, this is pretty decent and realistic. Some nitpicks though:

-Can't see the Pats getting $ for Fanene

-Not sure they can get $4M from Wilfork restructuring but maybe

-Non-tendering Hoomanawanui seems pointless. We have no idea if Ballard is able to play and Hoomanawanui probably wouldn't count towards the cap until opening day (or would push one of the other low-salary guys off the top 51)

-You parted ways with both Chung and Gregory and brought in one realistic option (Woodson). I think that's unwise. That leaves Wilson, Woodson, McCourty and no one really able to play S (maybe you're wildly optimistic about Boyett or Ebner). Given Wilson's mediocrity and Woodson's age/durability concerns, there has to be a better option and while I dislike Gregory, as a #3 he's not too bad and a much, much more palatable option than Ebner or Slater or some practice squad guy

-Letting Woodhead go in favor of Demps, I guess to save money? I don't know what Demps has done to deserve a guaranteed roster spot and I'd be nervous going with just Ridley, Bolden, Vereen and Demps. Another depth option is needed, at least for competition if you're letting Woodhead go.

-Same issue with Trevor Scott. I'm totally fine with letting him go, he did nothing really to warrant coming back. But no depth at DE beyond Francis as the backup. Cunningham is inadequate at DE (and IMO not going to make the roster at all) and Bequette showed nothing. There has to be a competent body there or another youngster to compete for a job.

- Not a critique of what you did here, but just a point in general: the Pats have a lot of depth players to re-sign or replace (or upgrade) on top of the big (Vollmer, Talib, Welker). They don't have a lot of cap room given the holes they need to fill, so it would be very surprising to me if they didn't try to stock up on draft picks in rounds 2-4. I don't see the roster composition currently favoring a 5 man draft class, 2 of whom probably wouldn't contribute and another who would compete with Armstead for playing time (thus might not get a ton of reps).
rabbisson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really like John Boyett don't you

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your draft choices. Wheaton is getting a lot of Senior Bowl hype - so I hope he's not out of the picture in the 2nd round come draft time, but I suspect he might.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
You really like John Boyett don't you

Draft crush of 2013 Laughing

Seriously though, he's getting overlooked big-time because this safety class is the deepest in the last couple of years. His awareness is great. He consistently breaks on the ball before it comes out, which is something most NFL safeties can't do. And he doesn't get turned around nearly as much as you'd expect with an aggressive player, which suggests to me natural feel for the position. I have a hard time envisioning him not being at least a useful NFL safety, which I can't say about a lot of the other prospects.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
rabbisson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I liked his tape but the injury definitely hurts his stock.

I love Wheaton though, although I'm not as high on Sylvester Williams.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
bruschidawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALLY dont want to see Arrington or Cole back. Lets face it, Arrington is a bum!

Thanks to Tzimisce

bannanasrUSC wrote:
I guess I am a massive troll homer. Smile
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruschidawg wrote:
REALLY dont want to see Arrington or Cole back. Lets face it, Arrington is a bum!

He's a solid slot CB. He's bad on the soutside but decent in the slot.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
bruschidawg wrote:

He's a solid slot CB. He's bad on the soutside but decent in the slot.

I've never seen anyone's azz more than I've seen Arrington's.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by allowing 3/7 passes his direction to be completed for 49 yards against the Ravens, Arrington just went 10 straight games (starting after the bye week) without allowing more than 50 yards in a single game.

These are the players who did:
Talib x4
Dennard x4
Mayo x2
Gregory x2
Cole x2
McCourty x2
Hightower
Spikes
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
And by allowing 3/7 passes his direction to be completed for 49 yards against the Ravens, Arrington just went 10 straight games (starting after the bye week) without allowing more than 50 yards in a single game.

Talib x4
Dennard x4
Mayo x2
Gregory x2
Cole x2
McCourty x2
Hightower
Spikes

You're not going to convince the Arrington-bashers that he's anything more than terrible.

It's irrational and ignorant of the facts but some people just hate the guy and think he's a bad player. All the numbers in the world aren't going to change that.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Talib x4
Dennard x4
Mayo x2
Gregory x2
Cole x2
McCourty x2
Hightower
Spikes

You're not going to convince the Arrington-bashers that he's anything more than terrible.

It's irrational and ignorant of the facts but some people just hate the guy and think he's a bad player. All the numbers in the world aren't going to change that.

He is terrible in at the outside corner. That is a simple truth. He plays much better as a nickle back covering the slot. Nevertheless, Arrington loses some of his value at the Nickle because he cannot be counted on to backup the starters.

If you honestly believe that the two starting corners will not miss time, then Arrington is a great sign. If you are also able to sign another backup CB, then Arrington is fine.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Talib x4
Dennard x4
Mayo x2
Gregory x2
Cole x2
McCourty x2
Hightower
Spikes

He is terrible in at the outside corner. That is a simple truth. He plays much better as a nickle back covering the slot. Nevertheless, Arrington loses some of his value at the Nickle because he cannot be counted on to backup the starters.

If you honestly believe that the two starting corners will not miss time, then Arrington is a great sign. If you are also able to sign another backup CB, then Arrington is fine.

Arrington would be a valuable piece should Dowling make it through TC unscathed. If that were the case Dowling could back up the outside spots and keep Arrington inside at Nickel.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Talib x4
Dennard x4
Mayo x2
Gregory x2
Cole x2
McCourty x2
Hightower
Spikes

He isn't "terrible" at the outside spot. He's capable of playing anywhere from extremely well to mediocre to poor. To me, that's pretty much what you can expect from the average #3 CB in the NFL.

Watch the guy for the last 2 years and tell me he is consistently bad. You can't. He has some really bad moments, that I agree with 100%. But he locked down Stevie Johnson and played fairly well vs. Baltimore a week or so ago.

He can get exposed outside and isn't a good long-term fit there, but all the hyperbole around his flaws and perceived level of talent is just crazy.

Most #3 CB's asked to fill in against top WR's are going to get beat badly from time to time. You know why? Because if they weren't getting beat by top WR's they wouldn't be #3 CB's in most circumstances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: