Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let the offseason begin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Same issues for me as the last 2 years.

Can't cover. (safeties)
Can't rush the passer.(Anyone)
Can't get effective WR play outside the numbers and beyond 15 yards.

Other then that I'm happy with the roster.

CP

McCourty is good in coverage. Gregory is a poor starter and needs to be upgraded.

Improving the pass rush and adding speed to the WR corps has to be atop the wish list for the offseason beyond the CB situation.

I would agree. I am hoping that BB doesn't feel that he's already taken care of the pass rush with Jones/Francis/Bequette, though. I think someone is needed opposite Jones to truely get the best out of the D-Line as a whole.

The boost to the pass-rush needs to come from an interior sub rusher (think Mike Wright/Jarvis Green) or a bona fide 3 down starting UT next to Wilfork.

Ninkovich, for all his flaws, has proven to be useful enough as a pass rusher that I don't see him as being replaced at LE in that capacity. So how do they upgrade? How many guys are going to be better rushers than Ninkovich? You can find some, but they'd be pricey. A more complete (i.e. someone who can play the run) LE would be great but I doubt they invest a high pick or big money in that.

A fair point, I think the other causation for our poor pass rush can be attributed to defensive play calling. Don't seem to blitz nearly enough. Relying on guys that aren't pure pass rushers to get pressure when we only rush 4 is so flawed.

The Pats have never blitzed much and don't have the secondary to go to a blitz heavy scheme

I don't see Belichick increasing the number of blitzes he calls beyond what they did this year (which was a bit more observationally than the last few years)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
One of Williams, Patterson, or Hunter will be there at 29. They compliment Lloyd perfect. Gronk at T=E, Hernandez as the 3rd receiver/do it all guy. Edleman in on the occasional route.

You never go into a draft needing to take a specific position at a specific pick unless you have a top 5 pick and are comfortable with the way the board will fall.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, for weeks mcmurtry has been saying how terrible Gregory was.

Last night, I realized he was 100 correct. Couldn't tackle or cover to safe his life.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
You know, for weeks mcmurtry has been saying how terrible Gregory was.

Last night, I realized he was 100 correct. Couldn't tackle or cover to safe his life.

While McCourty has been much better at S than CB, we truly don't have anyone I'd call "good" at the Safety position. The starters and depth is putrid.

I'll be banging the draft a safety drum all off-season again this year,... I thought I busted through the thing over the last two years. Laughing

Bill gave me Tavon Wilson, who the jury is still out on I guess. But I don't have the most optimistic view of where he will end up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jofos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
One of Williams, Patterson, or Hunter will be there at 29. They compliment Lloyd perfect. Gronk at T=E, Hernandez as the 3rd receiver/do it all guy. Edleman in on the occasional route.

You never go into a draft needing to take a specific position at a specific pick unless you have a top 5 pick and are comfortable with the way the board will fall.

Patterson would is a hell of a Yac guy but I don't see him being there when we draft.
While there may not be a lot of hole to fill the ones that need to be filled are deep. Safety and a true pass rusher are big needs.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Which is why I am sure we will sign a FA or two, but I DOUBT it will be any of quality.

Quote:
The huge problem with this is this team cannot evaluate or draft wide receiver talent. We haven't drafted and developed one of our own since...

(I personally agree there needs to be someone across from Lloyd that's not a slot receiver.)

I think McDaniels can handle it. Chad Jackson showed promise as a rookie before tearing his acl twice. Every other receiver bust came under Bill O'Brien.

Guys like Williams, Hunter, Patterson...their talent is fairly straight forward.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Which is why I am sure we will sign a FA or two, but I DOUBT it will be any of quality.

If they let Welker go and replace him with a veteran who isn't of "quality" and force themselves into taking a 1st round receiver, I'll officially think Belichick has lost his touch.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

If they let Welker go and replace him with a veteran who isn't of "quality" and force themselves into taking a 1st round receiver, I'll officially think Belichick has lost his touch.

Why would you think that? I think we sign a guy like Santana Moss or maybe even Brian Hartline, and then add a play maker in the draft.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Why would you think that? I think we sign a guy like Santana Moss or maybe even Brian Hartline, and then add a play maker in the draft.

I would consider both Hartline and Moss to be quality WR's.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

I would consider both Hartline and Moss to be quality WR's.

Not so much Santana Moss, but if we managed to sign Brian Hartline I'd be very happy.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:

Not so much Santana Moss, but if we managed to sign Brian Hartline I'd be very happy.

It should be mentioned that Hartline turned down a contract extension from Dolphins mid-year and called it "outdated". I think he's going to be looking for big bucks this year based off of his 2012 numbers.
silus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a question for the Patriots fans. Every top QB in the NFL is surrounded by a lot of receiving talent. I just realized with Welker possibly leaving I have no idea who your receivers are. Are the Patriots looking to add a receiver with pro-bowl talent.

After the game against the Ravens people said Brady was on the downside of his career, but I personally thought it just came to his lack of offensive options.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
I had a question for the Patriots fans. Every top QB in the NFL is surrounded by a lot of receiving talent. I just realized with Welker possibly leaving I have no idea who your receivers are. Are the Patriots looking to add a receiver with pro-bowl talent.

After the game against the Ravens people said Brady was on the downside of his career, but I personally thought it just came to his lack of offensive options.

Brady had three of the best receiving options in the league and had a great season.

Saying he has a lack of offensive options is just as misguided as saying he is on the downside of his career.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
It should be mentioned that Hartline turned down a contract extension from Dolphins mid-year and called it "outdated". I think he's going to be looking for big bucks this year based off of his 2012 numbers.
Some Miami website had an article that said that Hartline is seeking $5-6M a year. Right now, he's my clear #1 choice as a WR free agent, considering the alternatives are Welker/Jennings/Wallace/Bowe for $9-10M a year or hoping some WR who wasn't good last year can come in and be surprisingly productive.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of Shamarko Thomas?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: