Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let the offseason begin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jofos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Let the offseason begin Reply with quote

What direction would you go?

The bigest thing to me is Welker. He is one of my favorite players but he just seems to drop a lot of passes at the wrong time. As much as I hate it I would not offer him much of a contract.
The other big thing is injuries. It just seems like the Patriots have a lot of players that are injury prone. I think that part of this comes from getting players later in the draft because of their injury history. maybe I'm wrong about this but the Patriots always have one of the longest injury list.
I know that the defense needs help, but is it time to go get a top teir WR? The Brady window is not gonna stay open forever.
It was a good season but now that its over there are a lot of questions about where this the Patriots should go for next year.
patriotprospect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this off season will pretty much be the beginning of a slow but inevitable patriots transition. Moving away from Welker and the offense he brings, for example. Adjusting our identity as an offense, since Gronk and Hernandez are both going to stay here but we need to improve the WR position. What will happen when Brady retires? Will we rely more on the running game with Ridley and company? All this things will not happen next season, but it's something to start thinking about (in terms of ideology and identity with new personnel through FA and draft)

In terms of defense, I like the foundation at LB and a few pieces in the secondary. But will we see the same quality from Dennard and Talib next season? i hope so, but we still need answer at #3 and definitely at Safety. The most important part is of course DL, interior wise. I love Jones, but we will see how he plays next season after the whole injury thing goes away? We need more pass rush, before the elite playing from Wilfork goes away (he is not young)

In terms of coaching, I sure hope BB brings in a defensive coordination and that Josh is not back as OC (though i doubt either of these things will happen)

And as much as i love Brady, we have to eventually start looking for a replacement. I highly doubt we will wait till he collapses due to injury and we end up with one of the top draft picks to get a QB (like the colts did with QB). I would prefer the route that the Packers took with Rodgers. I am not too high on mallet

Mike Matt 2011 on the sig
x0x wrote:
All hail Bilichick, Brady is a complete product, there's a reason he was picked 199th overall.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys see the Pats resiging Welker? Im hoping the Texans make a move for him and he comes at a reasonable contract, make him our slot guy and draft another play maker like Patterson.
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Welker leaves it will be because of an outrageous asking price.

His drops and size do not warrant number 1 type WR money. We will sign him somehow but he needs to realize what this is about if he wants to stay here and that's t-e-a-m. When Gronk, Aaron and Wes are all on the field he's the second or third read. And honestly that's not worth 9 mill a year.

4 year contract 5-6 mill a year. Maybe even pay him upfront like we did with Tom to relieve cap space. Following this team for years and seeing the downfalls of this team it's never been number 12 or the offense in this last 5 year run. It's the defense and if we overpay Wes it limits what we can do to keep and obtain players on D.

Spikes and Nink are about to get deals too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
If Welker leaves it will be because of an outrageous asking price.

His drops and size do not warrant number 1 type WR money. We will sign him somehow but he needs to realize what this is about if he wants to stay here and that's t-e-a-m. When Gronk, Aaron and Wes are all on the field he's the second or third read. And honestly that's not worth 9 mill a year.

4 year contract 5-6 mill a year. Maybe even pay him upfront like we did with Tom to relieve cap space. Following this team for years and seeing the downfalls of this team it's never been number 12 or the offense in this last 5 year run. It's the defense and if we overpay Wes it limits what we can do to keep and obtain players on D.

Spikes and Nink are about to get deals too.

4 year contract for Welker? Shocked

IMO 3 years is too many. 4 is just crazy.
silus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty baffling to see how little Patriots fans think of their best receiving threat.
kmvoss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
Its pretty baffling to see how little Patriots fans think of their best receiving threat.

Not very baffling to me. He has made some very critical drops and they are not even a day past from a crushing loss. Doesn't mean they are correct, but I can empathize. I think it would be terrible to let Welker walk. I don't think he is going to be asking for an outrageous sum.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
The Pats' best receiving threat wasn't even on the field
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:

He's their best receiving threat due to how often he's used not necessarily because he's an irreplaceable or exceedingly talented receiver.

He's underrated by those who call him a system WR and assume that it would be easy to replace his production in his very defined role with a draft pick or random FA.

I think he's overrated by those who think he's worth big money over more than 2 years. His hands aren't nearly as good as people make them out to be and I don't think I can remember more than 3 games where Welker had a dominant performance (which isn't the same as a performance with gaudy stats).

You only start 2 WR's on this offense and neither Lloyd nor Welker are the types of guys who can take games over or make huge plays on their own if the TE's are covered (or injured, or needed to block etc).

People say things like "he's integral to the offense" and "he's their best WR threat" but that's not saying much. He has been integral to the offense, yes, but that doesn't have to be the case going forward. His hands have been an issue for a few years now (and I'm not basing that on his critical post-season drops) and his entire game is based upon quickness/agility - which tends to start declining in the early/mid 30's.
OHIO_PATRIOT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We HAVE to keep Welker after what his wife said on twitter last night......

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/21/nfl-wes-welker-wife-rips-ray-lewis/1851907/

She is my new favorite wife of a Patriots player. Heck she is one of favorites of anybody right now!! She speaks the truth.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha that is beautiful work by Miss Hooters...whoops I mean Miss Welker. I had buddies over last night and spent all night ripping Ray Ray. Stupid evangilist is worse than Tebow. Shut your mouth with the biblical quotes, I love the man upstairs but I watch football for football. He is such a chump imo. And Suggs with his bashing of the Pats...joke

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Haha that is beautiful work by Miss Hooters...whoops I mean Miss Welker. I had buddies over last night and spent all night ripping Ray Ray. Stupid evangilist is worse than Tebow. Shut your mouth with the biblical quotes, I love the man upstairs but I watch football for football. He is such a chump imo. And Suggs with his bashing of the Pats...joke

I have no issue w/ anyone preaching and using there sport to preach. But don't be a hypocrite practice what you preach. Lewis doesn't, Tebow does.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:

I have no issue w/ anyone preaching and using there sport to preach. But don't be a hypocrite practice what you preach. Lewis doesn't, Tebow does.

There is a time and a place...you wanna do off field evangilistic/recreational stuff with your stature than good for you I believe you should use your standing to do what you can...that being said, every interview before/during and after games is not the time or place. When a sideline reporter asks you about your team's play and you say zero words about your teams play and instead spit out 6 and a half biblical quotes instead you sound annoying to believers/non believers and football fans alike. Talk about your team and football plays and players when asked...not how great it is that God has gotten you to this point or that he has gifted you with a wonderful retirement present. Again I am not a bible basher...just know there is a time and place for what he has been doing.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issues for me as the last 2 years.

Can't cover. (safeties)
Can't rush the passer.(Anyone)
Can't get effective WR play outside the numbers and beyond 15 yards.

Other then that I'm happy with the roster.

CP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Same issues for me as the last 2 years.

Can't cover. (safeties)
Can't rush the passer.(Anyone)
Can't get effective WR play outside the numbers and beyond 15 yards.

Other then that I'm happy with the roster.

CP

McCourty is good in coverage. Gregory is a poor starter and needs to be upgraded.

Improving the pass rush and adding speed to the WR corps has to be atop the wish list for the offseason beyond the CB situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: