Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Patriots Offseason Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: 2013 Patriots Offseason Thread Reply with quote

Best to get one of these started before the Irrelevant thread gets cluttered with Pats talk.

Big decisions:

Talib
Welker
Vollmer

Other notables:

Arrington
Woodhead

Places to upgrade:

1. Starting caliber WR if Welker goes, need more depth regardless.

2. Interior DL - Kyle Love showed he isn't up to the task and Deaderick is more bad than good.

3. CB - If Talib goes, this is #1 priority. Otherwise, they need a nickel CB (Arrington or a replacement) and better depth options than Cole and Derrick Martin.

4. Safety - A legitimate upgrade to Steve Gregory would be real nice. That means a top-end veteran or a high draft pick.

5. Pass down LB - I guess this is debatable, but the Pats LB's just aren't good enough in the passing game IMO. Tough to take Spikes or Hightower off the field, but a quality nickel LB or a LB/S hybrid type would be nice in containing opposing TE's

6. DE - I know people love Ninkovich's big play ability but he is totally invisible on the 60+ other plays of the game. I don't expect him to be replaced but I do think the Pats should look into a guy who is stouter vs. the run and allow Ninkovich to be a super-sub/situational guy where his big play ability can be maximized and his vulnerability to draws/screens is minimized.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deters


Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of Branch ASAP.

Resign Welker for cheap money and if he doesn't take it, kick him to the curb. He has had too many crucial drops over the past few seasons and is 32 next year. He's too short and his speed is declining.

Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker (maybe), Greg Jennings, Edelman, 1st rd pick.

We need to resign Talib, as well as picking up another CB in either the draft or FO. DT and DE need a lot of help as does S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deters wrote:
Get rid of Branch ASAP.

Resign Welker for cheap money and if he doesn't take it, kick him to the curb. He has had too many crucial drops over the past few seasons and is 32 next year. He's too short and his speed is declining.

Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker (maybe), Greg Jennings, Edelman, 1st rd pick.

We need to resign Talib, as well as picking up another CB in either the draft or FO. DT and DE need a lot of help as does S.


Re-signing Welker pretty much eliminates getting Jennings (IMO unrealistic anyway) and probably a 1st round pick at the position.

The problem I have with letting Welker go (Which I'm 100% in favor of) is that it's going to be very expensive to replace him and not every WR fits with Brady and the scheme.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ctpatsfan77


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 2485
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Patriots Offseason Thread Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Places to upgrade:

1. Starting caliber WR if Welker goes, need more depth regardless.

2. Interior DL - Kyle Love showed he isn't up to the task and Deaderick is more bad than good.

3. CB - If Talib goes, this is #1 priority. Otherwise, they need a nickel CB (Arrington or a replacement) and better depth options than Cole and Derrick Martin.

4. Safety - A legitimate upgrade to Steve Gregory would be real nice. That means a top-end veteran or a high draft pick.

5. Pass down LB - I guess this is debatable, but the Pats LB's just aren't good enough in the passing game IMO. Tough to take Spikes or Hightower off the field, but a quality nickel LB or a LB/S hybrid type would be nice in containing opposing TE's

6. DE - I know people love Ninkovich's big play ability but he is totally invisible on the 60+ other plays of the game. I don't expect him to be replaced but I do think the Pats should look into a guy who is stouter vs. the run and allow Ninkovich to be a super-sub/situational guy where his big play ability can be maximized and his vulnerability to draws/screens is minimized.


(1) WR: Yes, the Patriots need help at WR. They need to bring someone with some height in, but I would also resign Welker and Edelman.

(2) Interior DL: It's not like the Patriots didn't try here. Yes, upgrades would help, but Love is at least serviceable.

(3) CB: I hope Talib stays, and am ambivalent on Arrington.

(4) S: I hope that Tavon Wilson can be that replacement, although I think this is a position that could be upgraded.

(5) LB: The Patriots get Dane Fletcher back next season. He'll help. He may not be the complete answer, but he is at least part of the solution.

(6) DE: Nice to have, but not the top priority, or even the number two priority.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naq


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 8195
Location: Westeros
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keenan Allen to New England, NOW! I don't care how, but we need a wideout upgrade NOW!!!!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sciz


Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 15800
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I've got my eye on:
Kevin Williams - Would be an ideal fit next to Wilfork and is reportedly actually a free agent
Charles Woodson - He's going to be a cap casualty, and I'd much rather have him at SS next to McCourty than Ed Reed
Percy Harvin - Wants to get paid but the Vikings don't seem to want to pay him. For a second round pick and a contract comparable to Welker, I'd do it
Keenan Lewis - 6'1" CB who is less proven than Talib, but should come at a comparable price and has fewer red flags
Desmond Bryant - 6'6", 311 pound DT who had a sack in four straight games to end the season

Money has to be right on any of them, but they're guys that could definitely help the Pats next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cordarrelle Patterson is the answer.
_________________
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ctpatsfan77


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 2485
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
The problem I have with letting Welker go (Which I'm 100% in favor of) is that it's going to be very expensive to replace him and not every WR fits with Brady and the scheme.


As I've said before, I'm not in favor of Welker leaving. He's not solely about the money—so my biggest fear is that Welker will walk and end up helping another contending team. Imagine Welker catching passes from Peyton Manning. Evil or Very Mad
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Patriots Offseason Thread Reply with quote

ctpatsfan77 wrote:


(2) Interior DL: It's not like the Patriots didn't try here. Yes, upgrades would help, but Love is at least serviceable.


Love was outright bad for a lot of this year and seemed to get jumped by Deaderick on the depth chart. I have no idea how people can continue to call him anything but a problem

Quote:

(5) LB: The Patriots get Dane Fletcher back next season. He'll help. He may not be the complete answer, but he is at least part of the solution.


Maybe. Didn't do much last year, in camp this summer and then got hurt (again). He's shown flashes but I don't think he's worth counting on.

Quote:

(6) DE: Nice to have, but not the top priority, or even the number two priority.


Which is why I have it at #6 Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12353
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to let Welker walk. Getting Vollmer re-signed would be my preference, he rebounded nicely from his injuries. Talib I'd like to see back too, but not at more than a Leigh Bodden-type price. Have to focus on a disruptive DT, another safety and another pass rusher, unless Bequette is going to step up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12496
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
Keenan Allen to New England, NOW! I don't care how, but we need a wideout upgrade NOW!!!!!

I'd rather get Bailey in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'd let Welker go. I'd resign Edelman he's injury prone but if we keep him at punts and he can stay moderately healthy can help. I do wonder what Demps can do as a PRer but he's our KRer.

Vollmer I'd like back wouldnt go give him obsured amount.

Woodhead if the money is right. Hopefully Vereen is ready to take over(I'm guessing the issue is blocking).
Sciz wrote:
Charles Woodson - He's going to be a cap casualty, and I'd much rather have him at SS next to McCourty than Ed Reed

Didt know that would love to have him back there and hopefully help Mccourty improve communication and Wilson develop.

Also chung is notable and he can gtfo.

Arrington still should be cheap resign. Though he took major step backs as a CB and STer.

Though I hope we ring back gaffney and kick the tires of Santana Moss. I'd like to see how much Amendola is going to cost but I'd love to have him on the team.

Interior DL:
I wonder if Seymour would come back. Also if for some reason Melton hits the market sign him.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9143
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymour has said that he is open to 30 other teams.

2-..not us or the Raiders.

Also, he was bad this year.
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roachkiller


Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 1228
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrance Williams please!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 22339
Location: The District
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Welker decision will really tell us how much Brady factors into personnel decisions at receiver. We know he was pissed when they traded Branch, I'd imagine he'd be similarly upset if they let Wes walk. Even though its the right decision to let him go by almost every other metric, the Brady factor might trump all that.

Other than that, re-signing Talib and Vollmer is of paramount importance. And for goodness sake, get Vince a reliable interior d-line partner or two. Re-sign Edelman and draft a shiny new receiver. And last but not least, a safety that can make us forget about Chung and allow Gregory be a nickel/dime player exclusively.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 24523
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Naq wrote:
Keenan Allen to New England, NOW! I don't care how, but we need a wideout upgrade NOW!!!!!

I'd rather get Bailey in the 2nd or 3rd.

I'd let Welker go. I'd resign Edelman he's injury prone but if we keep him at punts and he can stay moderately healthy can help. I do wonder what Demps can do as a PRer but he's our KRer.

Vollmer I'd like back wouldnt go give him obsured amount.

Woodhead if the money is right. Hopefully Vereen is ready to take over(I'm guessing the issue is blocking).
Sciz wrote:
Charles Woodson - He's going to be a cap casualty, and I'd much rather have him at SS next to McCourty than Ed Reed

Didt know that would love to have him back there and hopefully help Mccourty improve communication and Wilson develop.

Also chung is notable and he can gtfo.

Arrington still should be cheap resign. Though he took major step backs as a CB and STer.

Though I hope we ring back gaffney and kick the tires of Santana Moss. I'd like to see how much Amendola is going to cost but I'd love to have him on the team.

Interior DL:
I wonder if Seymour would come back. Also if for some reason Melton hits the market sign him.


If Gaffney wasn't brought back at any point this year, it's tough to see why they'd bring him back next year.

Agree on Amendola and S.Moss. Would like to see both those guys get looks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group