Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panther Prospect Thread.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Panther Prospect Thread. Reply with quote

What prospects do you think/want the Panthers to take in various rounds?

One that I'd be very excited if we took:

Jordan Reed, TE, Florida, Jr.
6-3, 240

Projected round: 2-3

Projected 40: 4.65

Reed is very similar as a player to Greg Olsen, and adding him in two TE sets would give us a more dangerous option than the Shockey-Olsen sets of two years ago. Reed was a guy who's numbers were hampered by his quarterback play, but if you've watched a lot of Florida this year, you's see that the offense was essentially him and Mike Gillislee, (a RB I wouldn't mind taking in RD 4 if we get rid of DeAngelo). He's still raw, due to switching to TE from QB, so I think his best years are in front of him, and he would be a valuable weapon for our offense.

With all this said, I probably wouldn't take him with our 2nd rounder, but if he somehow lasted until the 4th (which I doubt), or if we traded into the 3rd, I would be very happy if we picked him.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Panthers11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Elam.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
CaptainCharisma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Matthew Elam.

Bingo

Thanks to Kiltman
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainCharisma wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Matthew Elam.

Bingo

Might as well do a write up on him as well. Wink

Matt Elam, S, Florida, Jr.
5-10, 205

Projected Round: 1-2

Projected 40: 4.5

Elam is another Gator who I like a lot. He's a tad undersized, but the dude can lay the wood, and is solid in coverage, as well. He has been Florida's biggest playmaker on D this past season, through both big hits and INT's. In trying to pick an NFL equivalent to him, the first one that came to mind was a poor man's Earl Thomas, with Thomas being superior in coverage. One thing that worries me about Elam's game is that he has a habit of lowering his head and spearing his target, instead of wrapping up. This won't work in the NFL, as he'll bounce off bigger offensive players. Additionally, with the new defenseless receiver rules being enforced so strongly now a days, I fear he is going to be a person who get called for a lot of personal fouls just by the style of football he plays with. If he can learn to wrap up better he'll be a solid pro.

I would be more than happy taking him in round one if he has a good showing at the combine in drills and the 40, and would be ecstatic if we could land him in round 2.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Panthers27

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Johnson, OT from Oklahoma.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers27 wrote:
Lane Johnson, OT from Oklahoma.

If we take him, it'll be in the first round.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas Reed, TE, University of New Mexico, Sr.

6-6, 250

Projected Round: 7-UDFA

Projected 40: 4.65

A sleeper at the TE position who is going to surprise whichever team takes him, Lucas Reed is a TE that was overshadowed by inept coaches, as well as change in scheme. The younger brother of Houston Texans LB Brooks Reed, Lucas was a four year starter for the Lobos, but unfortunately his career was derailed by possibly the worst head coach in NCAA history, Mike Locksley, as well as a change to a triple option attack under new coach Bob Davie. I can say with confidence however, that Reed is one of the few people that managed to shine in the train wreck that has been UNM football over the past few seasons.

An good route runner, with great hands, Reed also is a good blocker, as anyone is forced to become to play in an option offense. I'd compare him to Zach Miller. Whoever gets him will get a good one and I hope that it is the Panthers.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple other mid-round TE's to look out for are Nick Kasa (Colorado), and Travis Kelce (Cincinnati). Both fit the hybrid receiver/blocker role that we're looking for, and should be available in the 4th or 5th.

Some sleepers for our first round pick are Lane Johnson from Oklahoma and Oday Aboushi from Virginia. Both are left tackle prospects who are flying up boards to fill the void created by Taylor Lewan returning to school.
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Swearinger aka Jungle Boii #36 Safety South Carolina

6'0-210

Projected:
Rounds 2-3

I know this is a bit of a homer pick here but y'all should look this kid up on youtube if you never seen him play. He is one of the hardest hitting defensive players in all of college football. He struggles rapping up tackles in the secondary. He has excellent run support management which I think will be very beneficial to us. This kid will just climb up the draft boards from here on out especially after his combine in which he is currently working on out on the west coast. I believe that if don't see a stud WR/Matt Elam available when it is our turn in the second, we should pull the trigger on this guy.

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a lot of rumors that the Steelers want Swearinger and may take him in the first.

For us, I don't see that he really fills what we need. He's a better version of Godfrey, but you don't put 2 of those guys on the field at the same time.
CaptainCharisma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to take Elam at 14 and then take the best player in the 2nd. DT, G, RT, WR are all needs in the 2nd

Thanks to Kiltman
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainCharisma wrote:
I would love to take Elam at 14 and then take the best player in the 2nd. DT, G, RT, WR are all needs in the 2nd

I could easily see his stock rise that much throughout the combine and such

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elam and Swearinger are both guys I would like to see on the Panthers in a hearbeat but it has to be the right price.

Sheldon Richardson is a guy I keep hearing as a target for the Panthers. Warmack could fall but he should have a good combine.

I have to keep reminding myself that Frank Alexander is essentially part of the 2013 class. Hurney was flimsy with trading picks but I think he got the last one right.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
Elam and Swearinger are both guys I would like to see on the Panthers in a hearbeat but it has to be the right price.

Sheldon Richardson is a guy I keep hearing as a target for the Panthers. Warmack could fall but he should have a good combine.

I have to keep reminding myself that Frank Alexander is essentially part of the 2013 class. Hurney was flimsy with trading picks but I think he got the last one right.

Maybe it's just because DT isn't a sexy pick, but I just don't think we should go for a tackle in the first round, unless it's Star. I think we could get serviceable ones in the later rounds.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody think Eric Fisher OT from Central Michigan might be available and worth taking at our spot?

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: