Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My mock offseason. Discuss.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlwaysClutch15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: My mock offseason. Discuss. Reply with quote

What I would do if I were the Bucs GM. Salaries offered to free agents are an estimation of their value and how much it would take to keep them.

Cap Space (to the best of my knowledge): 31.3mil

Restricted Free Agents
WR Tiquan Underwood. Resign: 700k
HB LeGarrette Blount. Release.
LB Jacob Cutrera. Release.
Cap Space Remaining: 30.6mil

Unrestricted Free Agents
FS Ronde Barber. Resign: 1yr, 3.0mil
LE Michael Bennett. Resign: 5yr, 50.0mil ($10mil/yr)
DT Roy Miller. Resign: 3yr, 9.0mil (3mil/yr)
LS Andrew Economoc. Resign: 3yr, 2.1mil (700k/yr)
WR Roscoe Parrish. Resign: 1yr, 700k
TE Dallas Clark. Release.
WR Sammie Stroughter. Release.
CB E.J. Biggers. Release.
RT Jeremy Trueblood. Release.
Cap Space Remaining: 13.7mil

Releases
CB Eric Wright. 7.5m freed up.
LB Quincy Black. 5.5m freed up.
Cap Space Remaining: 26.7mil

Free Agency
Sign: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: 4yr, 30mil (7.5mil/yr)
Sign: Martellus Bennett: 2yr, 9mil (4.5mil/yr)
Cap Space Remaining: 14.7mil

NFL Draft
(All trades are based on the draft picks trade value chart.)

Trade with Eagles. TB gives: 13th, 43rd, 73rd. PHI gives: 4th, 132nd.

Round 1, Pick 4: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama.
I know I'm giving up a lot to get Milliner, but bear with me. I have my reasons. Despite getting DRC, corner is still our biggest need. Milliner is the best one in the class and I want to be absolutely sure I get him. It's not like we have a lot of holes either, so we can afford to give up some picks.

Trade with Chiefs. TB gives: 110th, 132nd. KC gives: 97th.

Round 4, Pick 1: T.J. McDonald, FS, USC.
A pretty good safety with good size and skills, he would make a good replacement for Ronde, whenever he retires. (I do think he'll be back for one more year, though.)

Round 4, Pick 29: Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina.
If he goes as low as my sources say he goes, he's an absolute steal. I caught a couple South Carolina games. He's a decent receiver, but his value is in the return game. Picking him up would give the Bucs a legitimate explosive returner.

Round 5, Pick 13: Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida.
In the 5th round, there aren't too many legitimate starters left. Time to start focusing on depth, and the offensive line is where the Bucs need it most.

Round 6, Pick 13: Mario Benavides, C, Louisville.
Why not pick up another lineman? I haven't seen good center play from anyone except Zuttah this year. And please don't say Ted Larsen.

So... that's it. Let me know what you think. I know my draft trades might have been a bit out there, but I tried my best to keep it realistic. Thoughts?
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom should be fired to give Bennett 10 million a year.

Same with DRC. Like milliner but I wouldn't say he's worth that much either.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand why people just want to cut Biggers, he'd be a great #4 corner. How many teams would have a #4 guy with a year's worth of starting experience? He's valuable in that role.

Otherwise I agree with RnP. I think we still have too many needs to give up that much for a guy who isn't necessarily an elite prospect, just the best of the group.

I like the way you're thinking and I wouldn't be very upset if this happened, but I think things could go better.
indifference

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeKG wrote:
I still don't understand why people just want to cut Biggers, he'd be a great #4 corner. How many teams would have a #4 guy with a year's worth of starting experience? He's valuable in that role.

Otherwise I agree with RnP. I think we still have too many needs to give up that much for a guy who isn't necessarily an elite prospect, just the best of the group.

I like the way you're thinking and I wouldn't be very upset if this happened, but I think things could go better.
Milliner is no Haden/Peterson. I would be extremely hot if we gave up all that for him. In a rich DB class, we give up a potential 2 additional starters just for one? I can't get behind that idea. Again, Milliner is a great CB prospect but to me, he isn't on Haden's level. He might be closer than what I am making it to be, but I just don't like the idea of throwing away picks like that.

Also, no way we pay Bennett 10 million a year. He will be a rotational DE once AC and DQ get 100% healthy. His price range should be around 6-7 at best.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indifference wrote:
RoeKG wrote:

Milliner is no Haden/Peterson. I would be extremely hot if we gave up all that for him. In a rich DB class, we give up a potential 2 additional starters just for one? I can't get behind that idea. Again, Milliner is a great CB prospect but to me, he isn't on Haden's level. He might be closer than what I am making it to be, but I just don't like the idea of throwing away picks like that.

Also, no way we pay Bennett 10 million a year. He will be a rotational DE once AC and DQ get 100% healthy. His price range should be around 6-7 at best.

I'm very pro-trading up. Go get your guy, half of all draft picks bust anyway.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milliner is the best of a what is considered weaker cb class. Is he as good of a prospect as Claiborne, Hayden, or Peterson? Don't think so. Even jabirus Jenkins I thought was a better prospect.

If theirs an elite caliber prospect you want the make the move. I don't see that I milliner. Now if he were their at 9, then if package picks 13 and both 4s to get him.

Also no way 10 mil for Bennett. He's solid. He's not great like many believe we HAVE to resign him. I see him as someone we can easily replace. Paul Kruegar will be on the market and I see that as an upgrade to Bennett that would cost 6 mill a year.
AlwaysClutch15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I appreciate the input. I get why some people are against trading up, but the only position we desperately need is a corner. Of course, if we don't pick up DRC like I project here, then we would need to sit at 13 and hope Milliner/Banks is still there and pick another corner like Amerson in the 2nd.

I don't see why people say we need pass rushers. We have a good interior D-line, and 3 talented edge rushers on the outside. We don't lack talent on the defensive line. I think it's more poor coaching and lack of chemistry.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlwaysClutch15 wrote:
Hmm. I appreciate the input. I get why some people are against trading up, but the only position we desperately need is a corner. Of course, if we don't pick up DRC like I project here, then we would need to sit at 13 and hope Milliner/Banks is still there and pick another corner like Amerson in the 2nd.

I don't see why people say we need pass rushers. We have a good interior D-line, and 3 talented edge rushers on the outside. We don't lack talent on the defensive line. I think it's more poor coaching and lack of chemistry.

27 sacks. Bottom 5 in the league. Yeah I'd say something has to change.
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we need pass rushers. Badly.

Too steep of a trade up for a non-top notch prospect. Milliner is good but he's not on the level of a Patrick Peterson type prospect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon smith had 20 sacks this year. Bucs as a unit had 27.
AlwaysClutch15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys. Let me rephrase my statement. If we do need to add pass rushers, which position do we need to upgrade? RE? LE? DT? We got beasts at all of those.

Or have you guys forgotten that Clayborn spent most of the season on IR? Or that Bowers was injured half of it?

Let's put some of the blame on the secondary too. Hard to get sacks when your coverage gets roasted almost every play.

Edit: I'm gonna stand my ground on this one. We don't need another pass rusher... because we got one coming back. Our guys just need more time to develop chemistry together. Remember, the Freeman to VJax combo wasn't all that until November.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlwaysClutch15 wrote:
Okay guys. Let me rephrase my statement. If we do need to add pass rushers, which position do we need to upgrade? RE? LE? DT? We got beasts at all of those.

Or have you guys forgotten that Clayborn spent most of the season on IR? Or that Bowers was injured half of it?

Let's put some of the blame on the secondary too. Hard to get sacks when your coverage gets roasted almost every play.

Edit: I'm gonna stand my ground on this one. We don't need another pass rusher... because we got one coming back. Our guys just need more time to develop chemistry together. Remember, the Freeman to VJax combo wasn't all that until November.

Well for starters you can never have enough pass rushers. Look at the giants. They're doing well.

1. I'd say a DE who can play both LE and RE. Someone who can get to the qb. Bennett was inconsistent last year. Either he got to the qb 9 times to be exact or he was dominated. To me he's a rotational guy and not every down lDE.

Also could use a DT next to McCoy. Miller is good in run defense but he's not good at rushing the passer.

2. I agree. Coaching is a key factor as well. I don't like the scheme we run too many stunts.

3. Clayborn is solid. But his injury wasn't pretty. How do you know he'll return and be better than ever? Not everyone is Adrian Peterson. Bowers has nothing but injury concerns. So how reliable are they ?

Edit: in te nfl today time is running out for mark dominik. It's year 5 in rebuilding process and nothing but mediocre and terrible seasons to show for it. 2013 is critical.
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlwaysClutch15 wrote:

Your a cheerleader not a fan. And a blonde cheerleader at that
AlwaysClutch15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
AlwaysClutch15 wrote:

Well for starters you can never have enough pass rushers. Look at the giants. They're doing well.

I'm not saying adding more pass rushers wouldn't help, I'm just saying it's not a crucial need like everyone says.

1. I'd say a DE who can play both LE and RE. Someone who can get to the qb. Bennett was inconsistent last year. Either he got to the qb 9 times to be exact or he was dominated. To me he's a rotational guy and not every down lDE.

Bennett can play both LE and RE. Give the guys some time. Like I said, the chemistry isn't there yet. We don't have a physical freak like JPP, but with our current corner situation, we can't draft one.

Also could use a DT next to McCoy. Miller is good in run defense but he's not good at rushing the passer.

Miller's a NT. It's not really his job to rush the passer. He's supposed to be there to eat up space and stuff the run. I don't think he needs to be replaced. Depth wouldn't kill us, though.

2. I agree. Coaching is a key factor as well. I don't like the scheme we run too many stunts.

Well we agree here.

3. Clayborn is solid. But his injury wasn't pretty. How do you know he'll return and be better than ever? Not everyone is Adrian Peterson. Bowers has nothing but injury concerns. So how reliable are they ?

Come on man. Clayborn is better than solid. He was a beast in his rookie year. I know he's no lock to be his full self again, but he's a young guy and has come back from injuries before. I think it's too soon to write him off. I still expect about an 8-10 sack season from him next year.

Edit: in te nfl today time is running out for mark dominik. It's year 5 in rebuilding process and nothing but mediocre and terrible seasons to show for it. 2013 is critical.

I disagree. We had a MONSTER offseason last year. And you can't deny we have a pretty good team. I think he's got a little more time left.

I'd love to chat some more, but I gtg. I'll reply again when I'm back. Peace guys.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Dom took over:

2009: 3-13
2010: 10-6
2011: 4-12
2012: 7-9.

Mediocre and terrible. That's what I get out of 4 years rebuilding. 4 high draft picks invested in dline. Still bottom 5 in sacks.

Hate to say it patience and time is running out. Doms job is riding on next year and quite possibly Schianos. We're not the young and inexperienced as we were in 2010.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: