Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanky3801

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Draft-

Round 1. Barkevious Mingo DE/LB LSU
Round 2. Forfeit
Round 3. Chris Faulk OT LSU
Round 4. Tyrann Matheiu CB/PR/KR LSU
Round 5. Marcus Lattimore RB USC
Round 6. Probably traded away
Round 7. Traded for Barrett Ruud last year

I know it's a lot of LSU players, but although unlikely... I like it.

Now FA-

Chad Jones- he'll replace Roman Harper. We may possibly get something for him.

Glenn Dorsey- He might come cheap, considering that his career in KC was lousy. Also, I think in a 4-3, he could excel.

Osi Umenyoura- No more big contracts for this guy. Plus, he can play for Spags again.

Rip it apart fellas.
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Just no... This is the New Orleans Saints, not the New Orleans Tigers... Almost as bad as Raves and his New Orleans Buckeyes.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
40 215 1 62

Keenan Lewis
T PD
11 3
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
No. Just no... This is the New Orleans Saints, not the New Orleans Tigers... Almost as bad as Raves and his New Orleans Buckeyes.

Agreed, some of us let are college bias get in the way.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:

Woah, woah, woah, there are only 3 players from this Ohio State team I would've drafted and have said so many times.

Jonathan Hankins - Studly run stuffer and able to get pressure
Reid Fragel - Immediate starter at RT could develop into a very good LT
Bradley Robey - Dude is just a shutdown corner but he didn't declare.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:

Woah, woah, woah, there are only 3 players from this Ohio State team I would've drafted and have said so many times.

You overrate all 3 though and every year you have 3-4 Ohio State players who are going to be "very good" NFL players.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:

You overrate all 3 though and every year you have 3-4 Ohio State players who are going to be "very good" NFL players.

That's because Ohio State produces NFL talent. What can I say. Truthfully I would take several players of Hankins right now if they were available, just I don't think they will be so I think Hankins is the best of the rest, that or draft a CB. I'm starting to come to the thought that when in doubt, draft the best CB as you can never have enough talented CBs in today's NFL.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:

That's because Ohio State produces NFL talent. What can I say. Truthfully I would take several players of Hankins right now if they were available, just I don't think they will be so I think Hankins is the best of the rest, that or draft a CB. I'm starting to come to the thought that when in doubt, draft the best CB as you can never have enough talented CBs in today's NFL.

We CANNOT draft another secondary player high. We need a DE or a pass rusher. I'm good with having a below average secondary with a beast front 7, NOT the other way around.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
40 215 1 62

Keenan Lewis
T PD
11 3
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
Raves wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:

We CANNOT draft another secondary player high. We need a DE or a pass rusher. I'm good with having a below average secondary with a beast front 7, NOT the other way around.

Here's is a question for you. Why do we need a DE? I think Galette and Wilson can more than man the position opposite of Jordan. Also the DE we will be looking at although considered a 1st rounder might be the 5th or even 6th best DE in the draft and probably even more undersized than Galette/Wilson are at that position. Right now we are looking at the LSU duo both are what 6'2-6'4 about 240 maybe Dion Jordan who's 6'6 240? Galette is 6'2 260 and Wilson is 6'4 260. We'll be bringing in pretty much the same type of players with that pick. I say give the guys that have shown that when they are in they produce, Wilson with 3 and Galette with 5 sacks in limited roles this year, just think if they had larger roles in the defense.

Where we need to look is replacing Ellis full time with Hicks and either Bunkley needs to pick up his play or we need to replace him with a better option at NT.

Truthfully I think next year with us cutting some of the fat, literally, figuratively, and financially, in Ellis and Smith, we'll see our defensive line look a lot better, that is if Bunkley learns how to stop the run which is what he is paid to do, which is why I like Hankins at that pick. Also as another thread pointed out with Dunbar and Ninkovich that we need to start focusing and developing our own. If nothing else Spags knows how to develop defensive lineman, so I think by next season we'll be happy with what we have at DL, just might need to bring in depth, we all saw the progress Jordan made, now add that to two guys that stood out in limited action getting a much bigger piece of the pie.

What we need to look at is our linebackers. Outside of Lofton all of our linebackers have injury concerns and haven't been able to produce in coverage, run support, or pass rushing so that's pretty bad. Unfortunately there are no linebackers that I feel are a good fit for our defense, at least not in the first round. Everyone raves about Jarvis Jones but he's not the type of OLB we need, though Alec Ogletree might be a good option if we trade back a little and look to pick up another pick in the process to play OLB as he's a former safety that's just grown into a linebacker body, much like Brian Urlacher and Thomas Davis did.

But if you look at the NFL nowadays you will see that the majority of teams are running 3 WR sets not to mention a TE that is a legit threat in the passing game. So you need at a minimum 3 good CBs on your team, if not 4 or 5 in case of injury, which we have a lot of it seems at CB, or just being worn ragged. Right now we have 2 CBs on the team that I expect to continue to be with the team and make a big impact next year in Patrick Robinson and Corey White. I'm not sure if Jabari Greer will still be with the team next year, I think he'll be asked/required to restructure to stick around due to injuries, age, and declining production, and getting another CB to bring in, develop, and compete with the other guys on the roster would not be a bad option.

Truthfully I could see us even using our 1st round pick on offense as I think we have the talent and with Spags able to spend a full offseason developing and getting his team right, with just a few changes personnel wise via FA I could see us definitely much improved on defense.

Predicted 2013 Starting Defense:

DE-Cameron Jordan
DT-Brodrick Bunkley
DT-Akiem Hicks
DE-Junior Galette
WLB-David Hawthorne
MLB-Curtis Lofton
SLB-Chris Chamberlain
CB-Patrick Robinson
FS-Malcolm Jenkins
SS-Roman Harper
CB-Jabari Greer

Now I could see us drafting a LB, trading Harper, restructuring or releasing Greer, and if we do those things then I expect us to sign a veteran CB and SS and the LB likely be someone like Alec Ogletree to play SS.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
Raves wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:

Here's is a question for you. Why do we need a DE? I think Galette and Wilson can more than man the position opposite of Jordan. Also the DE we will be looking at although considered a 1st rounder might be the 5th or even 6th best DE in the draft and probably even more undersized than Galette/Wilson are at that position. Right now we are looking at the LSU duo both are what 6'2-6'4 about 240 maybe Dion Jordan who's 6'6 240? Galette is 6'2 260 and Wilson is 6'4 260. We'll be bringing in pretty much the same type of players with that pick. I say give the guys that have shown that when they are in they produce, Wilson with 3 and Galette with 5 sacks in limited roles this year, just think if they had larger roles in the defense.

Where we need to look is replacing Ellis full time with Hicks and either Bunkley needs to pick up his play or we need to replace him with a better option at NT.

Truthfully I think next year with us cutting some of the fat, literally, figuratively, and financially, in Ellis and Smith, we'll see our defensive line look a lot better, that is if Bunkley learns how to stop the run which is what he is paid to do, which is why I like Hankins at that pick. Also as another thread pointed out with Dunbar and Ninkovich that we need to start focusing and developing our own. If nothing else Spags knows how to develop defensive lineman, so I think by next season we'll be happy with what we have at DL, just might need to bring in depth, we all saw the progress Jordan made, now add that to two guys that stood out in limited action getting a much bigger piece of the pie.

What we need to look at is our linebackers. Outside of Lofton all of our linebackers have injury concerns and haven't been able to produce in coverage, run support, or pass rushing so that's pretty bad. Unfortunately there are no linebackers that I feel are a good fit for our defense, at least not in the first round. Everyone raves about Jarvis Jones but he's not the type of OLB we need, though Alec Ogletree might be a good option if we trade back a little and look to pick up another pick in the process to play OLB as he's a former safety that's just grown into a linebacker body, much like Brian Urlacher and Thomas Davis did.

But if you look at the NFL nowadays you will see that the majority of teams are running 3 WR sets not to mention a TE that is a legit threat in the passing game. So you need at a minimum 3 good CBs on your team, if not 4 or 5 in case of injury, which we have a lot of it seems at CB, or just being worn ragged. Right now we have 2 CBs on the team that I expect to continue to be with the team and make a big impact next year in Patrick Robinson and Corey White. I'm not sure if Jabari Greer will still be with the team next year, I think he'll be asked/required to restructure to stick around due to injuries, age, and declining production, and getting another CB to bring in, develop, and compete with the other guys on the roster would not be a bad option.

Truthfully I could see us even using our 1st round pick on offense as I think we have the talent and with Spags able to spend a full offseason developing and getting his team right, with just a few changes personnel wise via FA I could see us definitely much improved on defense.

Predicted 2013 Starting Defense:

DE-Cameron Jordan
DT-Brodrick Bunkley
DT-Akiem Hicks
DE-Junior Galette
WLB-David Hawthorne
MLB-Curtis Lofton
SLB-Chris Chamberlain
CB-Patrick Robinson
FS-Malcolm Jenkins
SS-Roman Harper
CB-Jabari Greer

Now I could see us drafting a LB, trading Harper, restructuring or releasing Greer, and if we do those things then I expect us to sign a veteran CB and SS and the LB likely be someone like Alec Ogletree to play SS.

Simple answer, our line sucks. If Bunkley restructures then we'd have 2 servicable DTs and one potential beast. Our line doesn't do anything right...Can't collapse the pocket, don't generate pass rush, can't get the QB out of the pocket and damn sure can't stop the run. Makes you wonder what it is exactly that those 11 men are doing on the field. IF we had some kind of talent COUPLED with at least a decent amount of coaching, You'd think we could do at least ONE of those things well.

If I'm Spags, my first concern is stopping the run. first and foremost. Second, I want to get after the QB; I'm not worried about potentially posting crazy amount of sacks. I want the QB to HAVE to be able to make quick and fast decisions on whether or not he has to get out of the pocket, hit his checkdown or what not...NOT give him the choice to build a fort on the 50 yrd line complete with working elevator. We have zero pass rush...

I'm not totally a downer though...I see loads of talent and potential in Hicks and Cam Jordan. I see an Iron wall and a smart man in Lofton...but outside of that, I don't see a whole lot and the numbers don't lie. Our defense is broken.

2014 Adopt a Saint:

Khiry Robinson
ATT YDS TD LONG
40 215 1 62

Keenan Lewis
T PD
11 3
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The year before our defense wasn't broken, nor the year prior to that... and it was pretty much the same personnel with even what could be argued a few upgrades...

What's the difference? Well let's start with the fact we had a bunch of off the field drama that regardless of how much they get paid or how professional they are so it shouldn't matter, will affect the play on the field. Then you add in injuries with we had a few as well as changing schemes.

Also if you want to first and foremost want to stop the run, well you need to get rid of Bunkley because the only thing that he did was stop the opposing team from running the ball when he was off the field because there wasn't an easy target to run at.

The talent is there it just needs to have the oversight that's needed. I really think that Vitt wasn't really the Interim coach but it was more of a by committee so no one was able to focus like they were supposed to, then you add in a change in philosophy that was about as different as night and day where you go from being loose and playing fast to specific must do this assignment football, it's going to be a big change.

I don't think DE is a need. If anything we need to move on from Bunkley, or draft Alec Ogletree and Sean Porter to play WLB and SLB. A secondary player wouldn't be a bad idea considering ours are always injured. I do think either moving Harper to WLB or trading him and bringing in a guy like Kenny Phillips that fits Spags defense perfectly would be a good idea and might make the biggest improvement of all.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: