Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Uno's Ideal Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Uno's Ideal Offseason Reply with quote

Players Retained:
HB-Matt Asiata
FB-Jerome Felton
WR-Jerome Simpson
OT-Phil Loadholt
OL-Joe Berger
DT-Kevin Williams (Restructured)
LB-Jasper Brinkley
LB-Marvin Mitchell
CB-A.J. Jefferson
S-Jamarca Sanford

Leaving:
QB-Joe Webb
WR-Devin Aromashodu
WR-Michael Jenkins (Post Draft)
WR-Stephen Burton
OL-Charlie Johnson
OL-Geoff Schwartz
DE-D'Aundre Reed
DT-Letroy Guion (Post Draft)
LB-Erin Henderson
LB-Tyrone McKenzie
LB-Larry Dean
CB-Marcus Sherels (Post Draft)
CB-Antoine Winfield
S-Andrew Sendejo

Signings:

WR-Percy Harvin-Extended to 4YR/35M: The Vikings need to find a way to bridge whatever gap there is between Harvin and management. Forget figuring out how or when the rift happened. Just figure out how to fix it. He had a phenomenal 2012 campaign, when he was “healthy.” When he was playing, he was playing at a level reserved for the game’s best at his position. Harvin should be a priority for the front office going forward.
QB-Matt Cassel-2YR/4M: Matt Cassel isn't likely to find a starting gig this offseason so he comes in with hopes of challenging Ponder for the job. Cassel has found success in this league with two different teams. When Cassel is on, he is a great game manager capable of relieving Ponder for any stretch if ever the need be.
OG- Andy Levitre-5YR/37.5M: The team has put all their chips in on Ponder. I expect the team to continue to do everything to continue Ponder's progression, whether that be in the form of a new WR or stabilizing the offensive line. In this case, they take the safer route and add Levitre to solidify the line. Levitre, is a well rounded and reliable guard that would fit in nice next to Kalil.
WR- Brandon Gibson-1YR/1.5M: Gibson is a productive, yet underrated receiver. He possesses the ability to take advantage of the single coverage he will likely see in Minnesota. He has strong hands and has shown that he can make the difficult catch. With Harvin in the slot, and Rudolph/Peterson available the team doesn't need to spend money on one of the top tier guys. They just need a well rounded and reliable guy, and Gibson can be that guy.
LB- Jonathan Casillas-2YR/2M: Casillas is a special teams ace and productive rotational LB for the Saints. In his limited playing time he has shown to be a solid cover man and will come in and fight for a starting job.

NFL DRAFT:

*TRADE* Houston trades in front of Indianapolis to grab the top NT available.
Minnesota Receives: 1st Round Pick, 4th Round Pick
Houston Receives: 1st Round Pick

1. Arthur Brown/LB/Kansas State

Size: 6'1, 230
Brown vs. Baylor

Brown is a sideline-to-sideline linebacker with the speed and agility to stay with receivers over the middle. A sure tackler who give an occasional pop, Brown is an instinctive player with room to add bulk for the NFL. He transitions well from coverage to pressuring the QB when they roll out of the pocket. His closing speed and explosiveness resemble that of a safety.

2. Aaron Dobson/WR/Marshall

Size: 6'3, 200
Dobson Highlights

Both Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock have labeled Dobson a first round sleeper and it's easy to tell why. Dobson is a big WR who possesses a large catch radius and a knack for making the difficult catches routinely. Dobson can fly and looks like he runs a sub 4.5 forty. He should look to getting stronger at the next level but at his current state, he reminds me of a taller Brandon Lloyd.

3. Nickell Robey/CB/USC

Size: 5'9, 170
Robey 2012 Highlights

Robey is an elite college corner and an underrated prospect. He has easily been the best defensive player for the Trojans the last two years. Even though he measures in at just 5'9 Robey has all the mental characteristics NFL scouts look for, and I have no doubt he would be mentioned alongside touted first-round picks if he was a few inches taller. Robey plays the game very similar to Winfield, and is a much better cover man that Winfield to go along with that. Robey is well versed in the Cover 2 scheme and would make a quick transition to the next level.

4. Montori Hughes/DT/Tennessee-Martin

Size: 6'4, 330
Hughes vs. Northern Illinois

Spielman never disappoints in landing a controversial 4th round pick. Montori Hughes is a big bodied tackle who was kicked off of the Tennessee team. Reports say he has been a model citizen since leaving Tennessee but he will have to pass interviews to go any higher. At both Tennessee and Martin, Hughes has proved to be effective at eating up space. Not only does he take on double teams but he has shown the ability to split them and be disruptive out of the NT position. Would be groomed to replace Kevin Williams.

4. Zaviar Gooden/LB/Mizzou

Size: 6'2, 230
Gooden vs. Syracuse

Gooden is a tremendous athlete who lost his senior season to an achilles injury. Gooden is a converted safety who has legit 4.4 speed. He can cover backs and tightends from sideline to sideline but he struggles in run support. He possesses good but not great instincts and will have to work on hand placement at the next level. Gooden was the local leader for Mizzou the last few seasons and should be counted on to provide the same at the next level. At this point, Gooden projects as a developmental player with terrific upside. He will have to show that he is healthy if he wants to cement his early round status.

4. Michael Buchanan/DE/Illinois

Size: 6'5, 250
Buchanan Highlights

Buchanan is a speed rusher who be a good situational player in his rookie year. He gets off the ball quick and displays a solid array of moves to get after the QB. However, he will need to work on defending the run if he wants to be a full time player. Buchanan will be worked in the rotation while he is groomed to takeover in the future.

5. Jahleel Addae/S/Central Michigan

Size: 5'11, 200
Addae Highlights

In one word, Addae is a playmaker. Addae reminds me of Reggie Nelson as a prospect. He flies around the field making his presence known, but he is inconsistent defending the deep area. Addae plays with a aggressive and tenacious nature that will remind you of Troy Polamalu. Central Michigan often uses Addae in the box, much like Polamalu. He will have to prove that he can produce in both the shallow coverage and defend the deep ball to help improve his stock. The East West shrine game will be an opportunity to show if he can do this.

7. Rogers Gaines/OT-OG/Tennesse State

Size: 6'6, 320

Gaines is a versatile lineman who has experience at both the tackle and guard spots. He is an the athletic lineman who will be groomed as a swing lineman.

7. D.J. Coles/WR/Virginia Tech

Size: 6'4, 225
Coles Clip

Coles is the VT receiver who was supposed to break out this year. He was Logan Thomas' go to receiver the year before but missed all of this year to an early injury. He has great size to couple with his hands and 4.5 speed. He is very fluid for his size and does a good job of adjusting to the ball. Will be a steal for whatever team lands him, if he is healthy.

Depth Chart:
QB: Christian Ponder/Matt Cassel/McLeod Bethel-Thompson
HB: Adrian Peterson/Toby Gerhart/Matt Asiata
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: Brandon Gibson/Percy Harvin/Jerome Simpson
WR: Aaron Dobson/Jarius Wright/Greg Childs-D.J. Coles
TE: Kyle Rudolph/John Carlson/Rhett Ellison
LT: Matt Kalil
LG: Andy Levitre
C: John Sullivan/Joe Berger
RG: Brandon Fusco/Demarcus Love
RT: Phil Loadholt/Roger Gaines

LE: Everson Griffen/Brian Robison
UT: Fred Evans/Christian Ballard
NT: Kevin Williams/Montori Hughes
RE: Jared Allen/Michael Buchanan
LOLB: Jonathan Casillas/Zaviar Gooden
MLB: Arthur Brown/Jasper Brinkley
ROLB: Chad Greenway/Marvin Mitchell
CB: Chris Cook/Josh Robinson/Brandon Burton
FS: Harrison Smith/Robert Blanton
SS: Jamarca Sanford/Mistral Raymond/Jahleel Addae
CB: A.J. Jefferson/Nickell Robey/Greg McCoy

Good Luck Chris Cook.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Brown has the size to be a MLB... He might be ok there but his true position in our scheme is at WLB. I see him flourishing there because of his good instincts and covering skills ala Lavonte David.

Not sure how I feel on this mock but I love the late round picks!

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
I don't think Brown has the size to be a MLB... He might be ok there but his true position in our scheme is at WLB. I see him flourishing there because of his good instincts and covering skills ala Lavonte David.

Not sure how I feel on this mock but I love the late round picks!

I agree that at his current size would struggle at ILB. Unlike a Lavonte David who was pretty much maxed out, Brown has the frame to get up to 240 without sacrificing much. His stock will depend largely on how much he weights in at the combine.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Brown will have plenty of size to play MLB in the NFL, once he gets in an NFL training program.

Look at Daryl Washington and Lawrence Timmons. They are right around 230 each and both play in 3-4 defense where size is more stressed.

There is no reason Brown cant play MLB at 235 and given that he will come in at 230, adding five pounds wont be an issue.

There is nothing to suggest that Brown can even play OLB, he struggled at that position at Miami.

Browns only position is MLB in my opinion and I think he will be a damn good one. Brown is a top 3 MLB for me right now. Love the pick, round 1 might be early but he is the type of prospect who climbs the draft boards.

I like Aaron Dobson too and I wouldnt be upset with him being the team's second round pick.

I greatly dislike the 3rd rd pick of the CB from USC. He lacks height and the Vikings seem to have more depth issues at outside CB than inside CB, assuming Winfield returns. Jefferson and winfield can play inside but they struggle playing outside. The Vikes have Cook and Robinson to play outside but after those two, the depth just isnt that good. Id rather get a CB who can play inside and out and I dont trust a 5-8 CB to be able to do that.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

I greatly dislike the 3rd rd pick of the CB from USC. He lacks height and the Vikings seem to have more depth issues at outside CB than inside CB, assuming Winfield returns. Jefferson and winfield can play inside but they struggle playing outside. The Vikes have Cook and Robinson to play outside but after those two, the depth just isnt that good. Id rather get a CB who can play inside and out and I dont trust a 5-8 CB to be able to do that.

Fair point. However, I don't agree that outside depth is more of need. That fact that Marcus Sherels was used in the nickel during the playoffs when we had a healthy Cook/Jefferson/Robinson, suggests the team doesn't have any faith in those guys playing the position. Combine that with the fact Winfield may not return, I'd say we are fine outside while inside is a much more pressing need.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your a)Players Retained: b)Leaving: c)Signings: (really like)

If we are able to obtain another 4th rounder, I would prefer to try and move one of the 4ths (or 2) + our 3rd, to move up.

If its not available, then that I'm okay with your draft, but I think there is some value left on the table.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Fair point. However, I don't agree that outside depth is more of need. That fact that Marcus Sherels was used in the nickel during the playoffs when we had a healthy Cook/Jefferson/Robinson, suggests the team doesn't have any faith in those guys playing the position. Combine that with the fact Winfield may not return, I'd say we are fine outside while inside is a much more pressing need.

I disagree. If the team had more depth on the outside, they wouldnt have had to put Jefferson on the outside, meaning he could stay inside where he is better off. Jefferson wasnt bad in the slot, where he can keep the ball in front of him. When he had to play down field in coverage on the outside, he was brutal. Get a true outside CB, Jefferson can stay at his more ideal position.

But I wouldnt necessarily want a true outside CB, I would prefer a player who can play both spots given that it makes the depth better.

Will Davis is a player I have my eye on for round 3. Good size, physical, good athlete.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I disagree. If the team had more depth on the outside, they wouldnt have had to put Jefferson on the outside, meaning he could stay inside where he is better off. Jefferson wasnt bad in the slot, where he can keep the ball in front of him. When he had to play down field in coverage on the outside, he was brutal. Get a true outside CB, Jefferson can stay at his more ideal position.

But I wouldnt necessarily want a true outside CB, I would prefer a player who can play both spots given that it makes the depth better.

Will Davis is a player I have my eye on for round 3. Good size, physical, good athlete.

That's another way of looking at it. I agree that grabbing a guy who can do both is more ideal. I guess it just comes down to how the coaches view it. It they don't like Jefferson/Robinson on the perimeter than I agree a player like Will Davis or Jamar Taylor would be a better pick. However, if they want someone in the Winfield nickel role, Robey is a great pick.

I personally like Jefferson on the outside, which is why I went with the Robey but I understand how people would prefer him in the slot and adding another outside guy.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Jefferson did a good job sticking with receivers, but when he had to play the ball down field he constantly could not put himself in position to make the play, or worse, intefered with the receiver. I didnt think he looked very comfortable down field and personally, I dont think he has much future as a reserve outside CB, I think he has potential as a slot CB.

I guess we view Jefferson's role differently and I can understand why you would prefer a slot CB over an outside CB. But if I can get a player who can play both, i would have a hard time passing that player. Maybe Robey can play both, but being a 5-8 CB on the outside is a tough chore.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected on Brown then... most of the articles I read on him all said he was undersized. But I still feel Alec Ogletree is the best fit for our defense.

If he's gone, though, Brown is definetely my 2nd LB on the board... Minter is more of a 3-4 ILB imo and Te'O will probably be gone before we pick.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a really nice offseason overall. Never heard of this Dobson but I guess I'll look into him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Levitre signing. That would upgrade the Oline a great deal. And the resignings are nice too. Also like the fact that you add an experienced QB. I don't think Spielman is likely to do that but I'm hopeful.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, gotta love the Lil Uno mocks and draft analyses.

My favourite pick is Aaron Dobson, love the HWS combo, and the guy has sick hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0

He had a real down 2012 season though, so I wouldn't be suprised if he lasted into the 3rd round.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
As always, gotta love the Lil Uno mocks and draft analyses.

My favourite pick is Aaron Dobson, love the HWS combo, and the guy has sick hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0

He had a real down 2012 season though, so I wouldn't be suprised if he lasted into the 3rd round.

Thanks for the comments. Smile

Dobson is an interesting guy to gauge. His production fell of in a big way this year. It's hard to tell if it was due to his own faults or the emergence of Andre Booker and Antavious Wilson who both had great years. Either way he does have a lot of tools you want in a WR, even if the production doesn't match. He has good chance to move up into the second with a solid performance at the Senior Bowl.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobson has shown well this week so far.

I guess Montori Hughes tore it up today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: