Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if we don't get a WR in FA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will FA be a failure if we do not get one of Wallace, Jennings or Bowe?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

skatewood2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: What if we don't get a WR in FA? Reply with quote

If we don't get one of the top three WR's in FA, will people consider FA a failure?

With all of this talk of us getting one of Wallace, Jennings, and Bowe I am just curious what people will think if we don't get one of those guys. We are one of 31 teams possibly looking to pick them up.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft..most likely at 12.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't get one of the top 3 it will be considered a failure. The question would then be when does Ireland get fired... He has the money and was told to execute. I would also then consider it a failure if he didn't draft a WR with the first two picks in the draft. His main goal is to surround Tannehill with weapons to succeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be hard sale to get the Dolphin fans in the seats. I also have to chalk it up as a failure because it could hinder the development of Tannehill.

It could offset if Miami brings in a good receiving TE and goes WR in the 1st and 2nd but receiver next to CB and QB is the toughest position to learn in football. Especially in this offense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ask because we are all so sure we are get one of the top three WR's in FA. And don't get me wrong, I think we will be able to get one of the two (Jennings or Wallace) but are people going to be happy enough with a drafted WR if we don't get one of those guys in FA? I just worry because so much can happen in FA.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not it would not be a failure if we did not get one of those 3 guys.

Last edited by fishfan4life on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not.
As I have said before the really good West Coast Off clearly put a higher premium on their TEs anyway. I wil be highly disspointed if we do not add a STUD TE this off season.

sug
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would be a move for a WR in the draft. Honestly i think we will end up getting a big name WR and still make a move for a WR in the draft

UniversalAuthor
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need a great receiver, though it would be nice. What we need is the possibility to successfully access three receiver sets and shotgun formations which should be about 50% of our passing playbook. Nannee, Armstrong and Gaffney were all failures and we gave up on those types of plays by week 12. Having a third receiver on the level of Hartline and Bess alone should do wonders for our offense. I also believe we will be seeing Bush/Thomas and Clay more often as receivers next season similar to what we saw to end the year in the final four games when we stopped playing in the shotgun and started looking at alternatives. If we can use our money to bring back our key guys and supplement them with those picks then I would call it a success.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Absolutely not.
As I have said before the really good West Coast Off clearly put a higher premium on their TEs anyway. I wil be highly disspointed if we do not add a STUD TE this off season.

sug

SUG,

while I agree that a good / great TE is necessary in most modern NFL offenses, we currently have 3 TEs under contract. I don't want to get rid of Fasano. He will be a good #2 TE, and a great guy to have around for the run game. I would be vehemently against Clay somehow not being on the team next season. While his development has been slower than most of us anticipated, I still have high hopes for him becoming a legitimately dangerous #1 TE. As far as Egnew is concerned, I don't think you cut ties with such a high draft pick after 1 season of riding pine.

Basically, this team doesn't need to add a TE this offseason. We have other more pressing needs (WR, RG, RT, DE).

I will be disappointed if we don't sign one of Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe (in that order) AND draft a WR in the top 3 rounds who will immediately push Hartline for the #2 spot.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
We don't need a great receiver, though it would be nice. What we need is the possibility to successfully access three receiver sets and shotgun formations which should be about 50% of our passing playbook. Nannee, Armstrong and Gaffney were all failures and we gave up on those types of plays by week 12. Having a third receiver on the level of Hartline and Bess alone should do wonders for our offense. I also believe we will be seeing Bush/Thomas and Clay more often as receivers next season similar to what we saw to end the year in the final four games when we stopped playing in the shotgun and started looking at alternatives. If we can use our money to bring back our key guys and supplement them with those picks then I would call it a success.

Agreed.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they let Bush walk, spend the extra money on that WR, and just roll with Miller / Thomas / late round draft choice.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
SUG wrote:
Absolutely not.

sug

SUG,

while I agree that a good / great TE is necessary in most modern NFL offenses, we currently have 3 TEs under contract. I don't want to get rid of Fasano. He will be a good #2 TE, and a great guy to have around for the run game. I would be vehemently against Clay somehow not being on the team next season. While his development has been slower than most of us anticipated, I still have high hopes for him becoming a legitimately dangerous #1 TE. As far as Egnew is concerned, I don't think you cut ties with such a high draft pick after 1 season of riding pine.

Basically, this team doesn't need to add a TE this offseason. We have other more pressing needs (WR, RG, RT, DE).

I will be disappointed if we don't sign one of Wallace, Jennings, or Bowe (in that order) AND draft a WR in the top 3 rounds who will immediately push Hartline for the #2 spot.

I just realized Fasano is a FA this offseason. Second time I forgot that Laughing .

I'd rather sign him back for a modest deal than spend a high draft pick on a rookie TE.
Manic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id only view it as a failure if we missed out on WR, Olineman, and TE. As long as we get atleast 2 of the above positions id feel good heading into the draft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
SUG wrote:
Absolutely not.

sug

SUG,

I just realized Fasano is a FA this offseason. Second time I forgot that Laughing .

I'd rather sign him back for a modest deal than spend a high draft pick on a rookie TE.

Hi cd, A couple points of interest here.

* I love Fasano & would like to bring him back for at least 1 more yr. I'd also like for
him to mentor a new young stud.

* I do not have faith that Egnew will pan out to be a TE on our roster.

* I'd keep Charles Clay as an all around utility player knowing well Bush may not be back also that he
is susceptible to injuries at this point in his career.
Clay play's in line TE & he makes plays in the open field. But I believe he has both FB & STs in his resume. (I like C.Clay)

And since I do not believe this regime/Philbin will draft a WR with pks 1 or 2A, I see Egnew as expendable.
No way will Philbin tie up another Off playmaker position on the roster over Egnew, he can't afford to.

Underline: I believe the fact BMarsh was cut was more than a salary issue.

I just look at the success Philbin had scouting/acquiring quality WRs in GB & see him doing the same in Mia.
(late 2nd - 3rd & 4th rnd)
I don't see us drafting a WR till rnd 2B at the earliest therefore ...
* land the more elusive/higher value target whom is out numbered 3 - 1 on the field at all times. Cause the opposite will get you another A. Fasano
* a real playmaking TE that clears the rd for the other WRs with constant double teams.
* The guy that 1 CB/S may not be able to tackle in the open field
* the RZ target
* GB never got it done with 1 STUD WR, they always stock 3 quality Wrs/ high caliber # 2 WRs. (whatever)
* It's no coincidence the league is trending towards playmaking TEs, it's about creating missmatches.

Why would you want to wait & get passed up by everyone else when your only trying to land 1 STUD TE ???

Look I understand the urgency of Mia getting the vert gm goin here but ... I sense a lack of faith in Philbin's capabilities to identify those late 2nd/3rd & 4th rnd WRs now that 2 of the 3 IDIOTS are gone.
You now those guys "2 outta 3 things happen when you throw the ball & they ain't good". Were down to Ireland & Philbin is " the Mia resident expert in the West Coast Off".

Consider it

sug
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree that having a 1,000 yard receiving type TE on the roster is a priority. But I look at it this way.

We don't know yet if we already have one on the roster. Clay is entering his third year which is a common breakout year for receivers. He may also be starting if Fasano leaves. We've seen flashes of what he is capable of.

We do know, however, what we have at WR. Which is a pile of crap. I'd rather throw draft picks / cash at a position I know is garbage than one that may be fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: