Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jim Caldwell is in talks to return with the Ravens...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Gotta say though, out of all the games Jim has coached, this one has impressed me the least. The playcalling was vanilla for a lot of the game. When he opened it up, the Ravens broke open the game. Hopefully you guys open the offense up early. Put the ball in the Flacco's hands from the start.

I think this is a case of coaches finally becoming familiar with his tendencies- part of it at least. I think the 49ers will be the most apt of any team this season in being able to put together a plan to stop Caldwell's tendencies.

But yeah, he was indeed less creative than in some of his other games that he's coahed.

I don't know I was liking the play-calling last night. All the draw plays help set up other things and I loved that we called a run on 3rd and 2. I'll have to watch the game again, but I know there were other plays where I said I liked the call.

I kind of think the vanilla calls early are meant to sort of lull the defense to sleep and get them expecting certain things, that way at the end of the game when we need to make something happen we can change it up and catch them off guard.

I think its been our plan to not show everything in the first half. If u noticed the whole playoffs we have had basically two completely different plans off attack in each half. I think our goal has been to keep it close while we feel out our opponents strategy and then make them adjust to us as we become more aggressive in the second half. We are so explosive its crazy. Two weeks is a long time I can't wait to see what we've been working on that we plan on unleashing this week
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more or less everyone was unhappy with the gameplan and the conservative play-calling in the 1st half. But credit where credit is due, Caldwell either adjusted or stuck to his plan all along in putting the game back into Joe's hands in the 2nd half. Although I think you could make the argument that he didn't need to stay conservative playcalling for that long (an entire half), that was also an example of how the Air Coryell is supposed to work. It was only by lulling the defense into a state of predictability that the play-actions, draw plays, and more up-tempo attack could really be at its highest affectiveness.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally felt confident about the play calling. The patriots defenders were really bumping us at the line making it tough for Joe to find a quick target.

Caldwell stuck to his plan and it wasn't succeeding early, so he switched at half time. Great plan.. Do you really think the patriots defense came out in the 3rd expecting our offense to run out of the shotgun? No chance. We caught them off guard with our first td drive and kept them on their heals the rest of the game.

Rice could have been more effective if he would have just made 1 cut to the outside on most of his rushes.. Pierce lead us in rushing because he made that 1 cut and broke a few solid rushes. Pierce excites me every time he touches the ball. Shows good instincts and a strong frame with in the tackles
STrid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbaugh just confirmed that Caldwell will stay on as offensive coordinator next season. Furthermore Juan Castillo will be joinning as a consultant for the next two weeks, and next season as a running game coordinator (Must be the first guy to hold that position).

I think those are great news. I really like what Caldwell has done so far, and hopefully he can continue the progression of the offence next season. I'm really looking forward to finding out what direction he envisions the offence to take.

I'm also really exited about the Castillo hire. Tbh our run game has really lacked for the last few seasons and I don't think it has to do with the amount of OL talent that we have. Guys like Osemele, yanda and Oher are all big mauling type linemen and we really should be seeing better results. Hopefully Castillo will bring in something like what they've been doing Philly with Shady.

^Et billede siger mere end tusind ord!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news on both counts. Getting Castillo could be big. His title might be running game coordinator (LOL I like how they're making up new titles) but I think he will be heavily involved with the offensive line. As long as they keeps Osemele at LG and maybe add a new LT I'll be happy though.

This makes me think they should find a pass-rush coordinator and a run-defense coordinator to help out Pees. Maybe a pass-coverage coordinator too.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
That's good news on both counts. Getting Castillo could be big. His title might be running game coordinator (LOL I like how they're making up new titles) but I think he will be heavily involved with the offensive line. As long as they keeps Osemele at LG and maybe add a new LT I'll be happy though.

This makes me think they should find a pass-rush coordinator and a run-defense coordinator to help out Pees. Maybe a pass-coverage coordinator too.

Laughing Laughing
I definitely laughed at this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signing of Juan Castillo is probably meaning the demise for Andy Moehler as offensive line coach. They just gave him a made up title for the hell of it right now, and I think after this season Moehler will be gone and Castillo will be the OL coach, but that's just me.

As for the play-calling...In the first half I think Caldwell wanted to see how the Patriots would approach everything, and then after he got their tendencies and everything, he started opening things up and just tearing them apart and letting Joe do his thing. I can't give him enough credit for that because it was simply everything I've wanted to see out of this offense. Boldin in the slot, Ray Rice on 3rd and short, usage of Pitta, usage of Torrey deep, just everything. I really liked how Caldwell called the game, even though I wasn't a fan of his predictableness at the start.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to clarify, by no means was I unhappy with Caldwell's playcalling in this game. I'm simply saying that it was clear that the Patriots had a feel for what he wanted to do in the first half.

He adjusted, and for that I give him kudos. And I even love his fit for this offense and Joe in particular. I'm simply stating that right now, he's got an advantage. People haven't seen as much of him. His tendencies as an OC aren't as known. Just like with teams adjusting to player tendencies eventually (Cam Newton) and players then having to adjust to continue to produce, teams figure out coaches too. I'm not going to lie and act like that hasn't been one of our advantages heading into the playoffs. Because Caldwell has exceeded as our OC, we've eliminated the bad that comes with a potential coordinator switch... and we've essentially been able to fully utilize the benefit of new tendencies to deal with and new wrinkles inserted into our offense to be able to consistently catch teams off guard every week. I liken our coordinator switch to the NE fast paced offense... sure the talent is what is producing, but every once in awhile they can completely catch a defense with their pants down... for us, our offense has talent, but every once in awhile, we can still call a play and have the opposing team be caught thinking... "wow, he does this too?!"

I'm all about finding competitive advantages. And there's no question that, Caldwell is a competitive advantage. Not only because of his increased competence over Cameron (which is enough reason to extend him alone), but also because to this point, he's largely been an unknown, someone that has to be figured out... that means coaches trying to counter a gameplan have to try and anticipate what he'll do as opposed to having a firm grip on what he likes to do... that's a competitive advantage. The 49ers are clearly going to be the team most equipped to deal with that advantage to this point, simply because they now have a legitimate... 5 games of tape on him with the starting offense (not counting the Bengals game). And they have 2 weeks to prepare to find these tendencies.

But yes, the point of Caldwell's ability to adjust to NE is a good one. It takes that kind of flexibility to continue to succeed in this league as a coach or player.

But even then, it was clear that we would need to adjust. I said going into the half that now that Talib went down, we could put 2nd half adjustments into play to truly take advantage of NE playing without him. With him covering Boldin, we had one gameplan we wanted to work with. However when Talib went down, we stuck with that gameplan until halftime. With Talib down, we used halftime to make those adjustments... and then we smoked the Patriots defense in the 2nd half.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: