Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My first ever, Cardinals mock..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: My first ever, Cardinals mock.. Reply with quote

Okay, so here is a disclaimer.. I have never done a mock draft. I like looking at mock drafts but I never do them.. the variables that present themselves such as trades, perceived needs, value, etc. cause mock drafts to really just be educated guesses and sometimes the educated part seems left out.

That being said, here is my mock, feel free to knit pick it as I won't defend anything and will just say this is my guess for how this will pan out.

Note: This list is from nepatriotsdraft.com, I won't pretend to know every teams needs but will select from those that are projected to be available possibly for us at our spots.

1. Kansas City Chiefs- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
2. Jacksonville Jaguars- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
3. Oakland Raiders- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
4. Philadelphia Eagles- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
5. Detroit Lions- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
6. Cleveland Browns- Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU

7. Arizona Cardinals- Chance Warmack, G, Alabama (Note: nepatriotsdraft thinks we would pick Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma here but I don't see it.) I like Johnson as an up and coming tackle after the Senior Bowl but I think our best value here, albeit picked high for a guard, is Warmack as he is the top talent available at a position we could definitely need. I would see Potter and Massie holding their respective positions and Warmack bolstering the interior line where Snyder currently sits.

...fast-forward...

33. Jacksonville Jaguars- Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
34. Kansas City Chiefs- Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
35. Philadelphia Eagles- Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
36. Detroit Lions- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
37. Cincinnati Bengals (via OAK)- Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina

38. Arizona Cardinals- Kevin Minter, LB, LSU (Note: nepatriotsdraft thinks we pick Matt Barkley, QB, USC here but again, I don't see it. Also, Minter is still available at this point in their draft.) Barkley is not a fit into Arians scheme and in a perfect scenario, I'd like to see Arizona bolster the interior OL again and give Hoyer or Kolb a go at QB and look in the 3rd or 4th for a late round QB flier like EJ Manuel if he's still there. But in this scenario, we have Kevin Minter who is a tough, instinctive linebacker that was heralded for his command of the defense for LSU. He'd fill in quite nicely next to Daryl Washington and allow us to move on from Lenon who is set to be an older free agent.

...fast-forward...

63. Kansas City Chiefs- Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
64. Jacksonville Jaguars- Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
65. Detroit Lions- Baccari Rambo, S, Georgia
66. Oakland Raiders- Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
67. Philadelphia Eagles- Robert Alford, CB, SE Louisiana
68. Cleveland Browns- David Amerson, CB/S, NC State

69. Arizona Cardinals- EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State (Note: nepatriotsdraft thinks we pick Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin here, but I believe we can find RB value in later rounds) It helps my thinking with the fact that EJ is still here in the 3rd round. He is raw and will need a year or two of work but I think he could be the franchise QB we need after some development. What does Arizona do going into next year, well.. improving the offensive line is paramount and with a Potter-Colledge-Sendlein-Warmack-Massie, the line looks improved. Maybe the give Hoyer a look and give Kolb a look during the offseason and let Skelton go with Lindley rounding out our camp QBs at 4. Strong armed with solid, desired measurables, plus athletic enough to escape the pocket when necessary.

...fast-forward...

(the nepatriotsdraft mock I was using ends at this point, so I'm going to fill needs based on projections and our needs)

4th round: Brian Schwenke, C, California - Allows us to develop a young center to compete with Sendlein. Lyle is approaching 29 years of age soon and after watching Brian Schwenke at the Senior Bowl.. he has me intrigued. He is a tough kid with a good anchor and he handled himself well against some bigger linemen in the Senior Bowl.

5th round: Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida - Gillislee looked good at the Senior Bowl too but he was marred with injuries in his first few college seasons. Having been healthy last season, he posted a healthy 6+ ypc average and will be a good rotational back assuming that Ryan Williams will become the feature back (assumption based on recently interviews with Arians constantly calling Ryan by name).

6th round, I'm not so sure.. I think we have something like three 6th round picks and the needs we have remaining to me are SS, possibly CB, OLB (which may get addressed higher as we're not getting solid production from Acho/Schofield and we need more pressure generated from the OLB spot) and maybe TE.

Thoughts?? Rip it up!
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick thoughts, the first 3 rounds are damn solid and I'd be very content with the draft if it went down like this. Would have liked to see to see a little guess work or trade work with the day 3 picks though.

Oh and Montee Ball in round 3 would have me irrate.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as your first three picks go, love it.

As many know, I'm a big EJ fan and if we could get him in the third round, that's a slam dunk. Warmack is a no brainer type talent on a team with potentially the worst interior line in football.

Minter is the kind of player that would flourish next to Daryl.

As far as the rest of the picks, I like the positions more than the players themselves.

All in all, I'd be very pleased if this were to unfold next April.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

First 3 picks are solid.

Schwenke is ok, can live with that pick.

Like Gillislee in the 5th though
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing Schwenke left the Senior Bowl with a day 2 grade.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I'm hearing Schwenke left the Senior Bowl with a day 2 grade.

Schwenke got a stock climb from the Senior Bowl, no doubt. There are a few center needy teams out there though so I don't think he'll end up in the 4th but you never know.

I was thinking that we would trade back into the late 3rd to grab someone else and package something like our 4th round pick + 6th (or two 6ths) to get into the mid/late 3rd but I'm not gonna try to tackle that trade in my first mock.

Let alone, I wasn't sure who to trade back in for.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE the Shwenke pick. Great mock... dream mock

#JDI
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not mean much because he was simply speculating and not reporting but Mike Mayock said he believes Schwenke will go in the 2nd or 3rd round to a ZBS squad.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important to note that I was working off another mock and judging players available after the selection as to whether they would be a better pick for us or not and judging the pick that was made.

Also, the first 3 rounds would be a blessing with a little help from lady luck. I find it hard to see Minter falling down to the early 2nd round when he's IMO the best ILB available in this draft.

I think if Baltimore is on the clock at 31 or 32 and they have to choose between Barrett Jones or Kevin Minter.. that's going to possibly be a deciding factor on who we grab in the 2nd round. Baltimore is losing Ray Lewis and might be losing their center Matt Birk to retirement. Baltimore may even shock everyone.. bypass both positions and choose someone to replace Ed Reed. WHO KNOWS!?
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reid from LSU to Ravens at end of first.

I am calling it now, end of Jan.

I can see Minter and Jones falling to us at 38

Too many "hype" prospects will rise above them, always do.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Reid from LSU to Ravens at end of first.

I am calling it now, end of Jan.

I can see Minter and Jones falling to us at 38

Too many "hype" prospects will rise above them, always do.

Like I said before your post.. I could definitely see that happening.

Would make an interesting decision for us in the 2nd round.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a post here written about the benefits of Minter over Jones.

Then i took a phone call or two and thought about it.

Really I think if we take Warmack in the first (assumed) then both are available in the second, ignoring anything we do with College, Synder and the like, we have to go Minter.

If Colledge stays and cap space says he does, and Syndey goes (play says he does), then Warmack is an upgrade.

Question i think is that Minter is an upgrade over Lenon more so than Jones is an upgrade over Lyle.

Feel free to disagree.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
I had a post here written about the benefits of Minter over Jones.

Then i took a phone call or two and thought about it.

Really I think if we take Warmack in the first (assumed) then both are available in the second, ignoring anything we do with College, Synder and the like, we have to go Minter.

If Colledge stays and cap space says he does, and Syndey goes (play says he does), then Warmack is an upgrade.

Question i think is that Minter is an upgrade over Lenon more so than Jones is an upgrade over Lyle.

Feel free to disagree.

I think Minter and Jones would be upgrades over their current respective position holders.

However, Lenon is a FA and Sendlein is under contract still. Lenon is older and Sendlein is 5+ years younger (I think at least).

I think a heavy argument could be had that Minter would be the pick if presented with Minter/Jones at that selection.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Warmack would make Lyle better in theory.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Plus Warmack would make Lyle better in theory.

Theoretically, that's a definite plus IMO.

Lyle seemed to be "adequate" when Hadnot was on the right. His play slipped a bit last year (maybe due to injury plus Snyder on his right) and in theory, should improve with better RG play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: