Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wise men says ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

A QB in the 3rd if so who ?
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas, Jr.
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Mike Glennon, North Carolina St.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
EJ Manuel, Florida St.
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
Landry Jones, Oklahoma
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Tyler Bray, Tennessee, Jr.
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 40

VikeSince70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Wise men says ?? Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is worthy of it's own thread so feel free to close it if not Smile

I am running a poll on whether the Vikes should take a QB in the third if someone like Landry or Wilson is available or any other QB that looks good ? I think there is merit in this approach for getting talented QB's and developing them to be traded or keep if Ponder does not make the grade.

Some will say it is a waste but I think it is smart to continue to bring in talent that does not start right away and we develop. Also, a QB is one play away on missing a few games as we have seen many times in the NFL. The back-up QB has become more important to a team. Case in point was Indy not having Manning and loosing all those games and getting the first pick last year. In comes Luck and they make the playoffs.

Anyways, I have selected some talented QB's to choose from if they are available in the 3rd Smile I also included a no if you would not draft a QB in the 3rd.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally the 1st three will be gone by then. So I picked Landry. I think he could be a nice developmental guy and perform OK if Ponder were injured. I'm not sure I would spend the pick but if I did it would be on him.

Last edited by VikeManDan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the Duke QB, in the 6th or 7th.

i think Round 3 is just too high.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
The Gnat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Wilson, Glennon or Nassib are available with our pick in round three, I could see going after one of them, but, I highly doubt any of them are, otherwise, round seven sounds good (or six) for a QB.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id consider a round 3 QB if I felt good about what I have at DT, WR and LB. Also, there would have to be a decent round 3 option that falls. Maybe like a Kirk Cousins type that falls, who should have been a 2nd rd pick.

I think there is little chance of Tyler Wilson falling, but I like Nassib from Syracuse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any QB drafted this year will only be replacing MBT as the third stringer. There's no good reason to draft a third string QB in the third round of a terrible QB draft.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value is not there and the need is certainly not there. IF my hand was forced, I stand by my earlier post.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we need yet another young QB? MBT is seemingly fine enough as a #3 project.

We need a VETERAN QB to be brought in as our #2. If the playoff game didn't prove that, I don't know what else will.

The Vikings do NOT need another young QB.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Personally the 1st three will be gone by then. So I picked Landry. I think he could be a nice developmental guy and perform OK if Ponder were injured. I'm not sure I would spend the pick but if I did it would be on him.

I am thinking one of those will drop just like Wilson and Cousins dropped especially if one does not have a stellar combine. Hey I could be wrong Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i like the Duke QB, in the 6th or 7th.

i think Round 3 is just too high.

I was thinking of adding rd 3/4 but I think someone will fall for whatever reason just like Wilson and Cousins did. Just an opinion I have been thinking about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
The value is not there and the need is certainly not there. IF my hand was forced, I stand by my earlier post.

The value is the only question I have as far as the need, I disagree. We have no one behind Ponder. Look at what the Patriots did last year (or the year before, I forget hehe). The Patriots drafted Mallot to start grooming him. I am not sold on MBT at all after reading his background.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeSince70 wrote:
VikeManDan wrote:

The value is the only question I have as far as the need, I disagree. We have no one behind Ponder. Look at what the Patriots did last year (or the year before, I forget hehe). The Patriots drafted Mallot to start grooming him. I am not sold on MBT at all after reading his background.

Sorry, I should have said the need in the 3rd isn't there for me. I completely agree we need a backup QB. How we go about acquiring one is a different story.
VikeSince70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
Why do we need yet another young QB? MBT is seemingly fine enough as a #3 project.

We need a VETERAN QB to be brought in as our #2. If the playoff game didn't prove that, I don't know what else will.

The Vikings do NOT need another young QB.

I guess my thought is MBT is not the right one to be grooming. Someone from this years QB that I have posted will drop for whatever reason and I see them far more talented then MBT. Now maybe the 3rd is a round to early and one drops to the 4th, maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I forgot to tell you guys my pick. I am looking at EJ Manuel as the pick and maybe the 3rd is to early and we can get him in the 4th. He is a duel threat QB who needs a couple years of grooming but I think he has the upside MBT does not have. I think that all the other QB's listed above his name will probably be off the board. We have a shot at EJ in rounds 3/4 I think.

My beleif is that we cannot keep drafting a QB in round 6 and have a good percentage to develop him. Untill we know for sure about Ponder we should invest in rounds 3/4 to at least to have a better percentage chance of the talent developing into something.

If we find out this year Ponder is not the one then we are not scrambling with the cupboard bare. If we find out Ponder is the one then we trade the talent for a 3/4 round pick depending on his progression.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to draft a QB in the 3rd-4th rounds because we still have needs to be addressed during those rounds. I'm looking later in the draft to take a QB that could be trade bait or prove themselves as the next franchise QB for the Vikings.

Instead of looking at these guys, we should be looking at Sean Renfree (who I think could transform into a very good QB) and Matt Scott.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: