Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Uno's Spielman Impersonation Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Uno's Spielman Impersonation Mock Reply with quote

Resignings:
HB-Matt Asiata
WR-Jerome Simpson
OL-Joe Berger
OL-Phil Loadholt
DE-Jared Allen (Restructure)
DE-Everson Griffen (Extension)
DT-Kevin Williams (Restructure)
LB-Jasper Brinkley
LB-Marvin Mitchell
CB-A.J. Jefferson
CB-Marcus Sherels
S-Jamarca Sanford

Departures:
FB-Jerome Felton
WR-Devin Aromashodu
WR-Michael Jenkins
OL-Geoff Schwartz
OL-Charlie Johnson
DE-De'Aundre Reed
DT-Letroy Guion
LB-Tryone McKenzie
LB-Erin Henderson
CB-Brandon Burton
S-Andrew Sendejo

Free Agents:
QB-Matt Cassell-2YR/3M: A solid veteran option who can provide relief if Ponder misses any time.
WR-Braylon Edwards-3YR/8M: Spielman came very close to signing Edwards 2 years ago before losing to San Francisco. The WR position can't be fixed in one offseason so Edwards is brought in as a stop gap. When healthy, Edwards can challenge defenders deep while providing a good redzone option.
WR-Mohamed Massaquoi-1YR/750K: I expect Spielman to solve the WR problem the same way he did the CB position a year ago. Throw several options at a wall and see what sticks. Massaquoi is a player who has had success in this leuage, but his development has been derailed by a series of injuries. He will have to prove that he can stay healthy on a one year deal.
OL-Dennis Roland-2YR/1M: Roland is a depth player that has experience at all 4 exterior line positions.
LB-Jonathan Casillas-2YR/2M: A player who has shown potential in limited action for New Orleans. Casillas doesn't fit in the 3-4 scheme the Saints are moving to so he will test the market. He is athletic linebacker who excels in coverage and should challenge for a starting role.

2013 NFL DRAFT:

1. Manti Te'o-LB-Notre Dame
Aggressive middle linebacker with a thick overall build. Vocal leader on the off the field, communicates the call and moves teammates into place when necessary. Downhill player who recognizes plays and closes quickly. Provides pop as a tackler, capable of thumping the ballcarrier and wrapping up to secure the stop. Aware run-stopper between the tackles, finds the ball and can mirror backs to prevent cutbacks. Stops backs’ momentum on first contact and drive them backwards. Takes on linemen and fullbacks, can bounce or use his hands to rip off and make a stop. Hustles to recover from cut blocks, work through double teams at the second level. Shows enough movement skills to follow stretch plays to either sideline and cover running backs in the flat. Drops to the first-down marker, but is able to close on receivers and backs over the middle to prevent yards after the catch. Attacks gaps as a delayed blitzer, will try to work past the shoulder of linemen picking him up. High character player who performs community service and became an Eagle Scout in 2008.

*TRADE* MIN Sends: 1st Round Pick, SF Sends: 1st, 4th Round Picks
After failing to re-sign Dashon Goldson, San Fran moves ahead of GB to land Jonathan Cyprien.

1. Sylvester Williams-DT-North Carolina (Via SF)
Wide body nose tackle with an unexpected bit of quickness off the snap. Has girth through the middle that makes him tough to move when he looks to anchor. Keeps his eyes in the backfield and locates the ball well (and will sniff out the occasional screen). Uses strong hands and upper body to rip past and push aside lesser linemen. Good flexibility and balance, showing the ability to bend and roll his hips through contact off the ball and keep a wide base to anchor against base blocks and doubles. Violent tackler, will throw ball carriers to the ground. Has enough short-area quickness to charge through the A-gap off the snap. Spins off blocks when moving forward to threaten hesitating quarterbacks or get a hand on running backs in the backfield. Can two-gap, moves to either side of his man to corral backs coming between the tackles. Shows good leverage, pad level, and hand quickness to split double teams. When fresh, he will chase a bit more than most players his size against the run as well as give a second effort if his initial pass rush move fails.

2. Aaron Dobson-WR-Marshall
Presents a tall, long build prototypical of outside vertical receivers. Runs a bit high but has a fair three-step game off the line. Ankle flexion to create separation on comeback patterns. Possesses strong hands, length, and good concentration to snatch high and wide passes. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and makes acrobatic one-handed catches. Can make a catch with a defender draped on him. Difficult for smaller cornerbacks to drag him down, as he will churn through contact to get the extra yardage. Able to free himself off press coverage using his hands.

3. Marc Anthony-CB-Cal
Possesses the height and length scouts like in an outside corner to man-up against bigger receivers. Affects plays at multiple levels of zone defenses using his size and backfield awareness. Has enough foot quickness to stay with receivers down the sideline and in trail coverage over the middle. Shows closing speed to jump out routes and stuff hitches, and the hand-eye coordination to knock away passes in front of the receiver. Upper-body strength is sufficient to rip out the ball as it arrives in their hands. Likes to pound receivers going into the air to make a grab, and will throw a shoulder into ballcarriers in run support.

4. Chris Harper-WR-Kansas State
Size/speed combination is impressive. Cornerbacks trying to press him at the line see his quickness and pure acceleration down the sideline. On crosses, sells the outside routes before planting his foot to get inside position. Harper uses his size to his advantage, often shielding defenders. He also possesses a very strong set of hands that he uses to out-muscle smaller defensive backs. Very adept at catching the ball off of his frame. He is also very tough to bring down with the ball in his hands.

4. Brennan Williams-OT-North Carolina
Tall tackle with an athletic build, but with some strength in his arms and girth in the lower body. Shows bend in his three-point stance and a solid get-off in spite of his height. Extreme length allows him to ride defensive ends around the pocket or stop them cold if they try the inside lane. Good punch on first contact knocks ends off their routes. Flashes movement skills behind the line of scrimmage on pulls. Uses natural bend and strong hands to hit and sustain stationary targets at the second level and in the open field. Comes off the ball hard and stays with run blocks throughout the play, moving his feet and extending, sometimes taking his man to the ground.

4. Mike Catapano-DE-Princeton
Catapano isn’t an elite athlete but he has a great motor, he’s strong, has active hands and is hard to push off the ball. He is the kind of kid who is going to get the most out of all his ability and his 6’3”, 270 pound frame with just under 34 inch arms. He’s an impressive kid and he’s going to be a contributor to a defensive line rotation as a rookie.

*TRADE* MIN Sends: 5th, 7th Round Pick, NO Sends:
Minnesota trades up for an undersized but talented Nickel DB.

5. Nickell Robey-CB-USC
Extremely fluid athlete. Smooth in turning his hips. Very light, quick feet. Agile. Reads the quarterback well and has quick reactions to receiver's movements. More physical than you'd expect at his size. Aggressive in the run game. Good ball skills.

6. Jahleel Addae-S-Central Michigan

7. Montel Harris-LB-Temple

7. Sam Barrington-LB-USF

DEPTH CHART:

QB: Christian Ponder/Matt Cassel/McLeod Bethel-Thompson
HB: Adrian Peterson/Toby Gerhart/Montel Harris
FB: Jerome Felton
WR: Greg Jennings-Jarius Wright-Greg Childs
WR: Terrence Williams-Chris Harper-Jerome Simpson
TE: Kyle Rudolph-John Carlson-Rhett Ellison
LT: Matt Kalil
LG: Charlie Johnson-Brennan Williams
C: John Sullivan-Joe Berger
RG: Brandon Fusco-Demarcus Love
RT: Phil Loadholt-

LE: Brian Robison-Mike Catapano
DT: Kevin Williams-Christian Ballard-Letroy Guion
DT: Sylvester Williams-Fred Evans
RE: Jared Allen-Everson Griffen
LOLB: Erin Henderson-Sam Barrington
MLB: Manti Te'o-Audie Cole
ROLB: Chad Greenway-Marvin Mitchell
CB: Chris Cook-Josh Robinson-Bobby Felder
FS: Mistral Raymond-Robert Blanton
SS: Harrison Smith-Jamarca Sanford-Jahleel Addae
CB: A.J. Jefferson-Marc Anthony

Todd Gurley to Minnesota!

Last edited by Lil Uno on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
joru1000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Arthur Brown in the first if a trade down occurs. Not a Wheaton fan at all though. I know I haven't been too high on him, but Hopkins in the second would be preferable to Wheaton.
Purple blood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
Like Arthur Brown in the first if a trade down occurs. Not a Wheaton fan at all though. I know I haven't been too high on him, but Hopkins in the second would be preferable to Wheaton.

I like this mock but I do agree Wheaton did have a good combine but his size is just to small I would rather have a bigger receiver to pair with Gibson on the outside

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:

Hopkins is my #1 WR and I expect him to be the 2nd WR taken, possibly before #23 otherwise I would prefer him to Wheaton in the 2nd as well. I don't see what there to dislike about Wheaton. IMO, he is one of the safer WR prospect in the class and fills a significant need.

vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad but Im not a big fan of Wheaton either. There will be better WR options in the 2nd.

For the FA's...I like them but I dont think Spielman will go after Breaston. He's aging and he's been on multiple visits already and is bound to snag a contract. I just cant see the vikings bringing him in.

Also I dont think its the best to assess our WR needs with 2 middle of the road FA's and draft a guy like Wheaton. I would rather go one WR in FA and 2 in the draft. Or even, like my mock, revamp the WR corps in the draft and assess other needs in FA.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
Not bad but Im not a big fan of Wheaton either. There will be better WR options in the 2nd.

For the FA's...I like them but I dont think Spielman will go after Breaston. He's aging and he's been on multiple visits already and is bound to snag a contract. I just cant see the vikings bringing him in.

Also I dont think its the best to assess our WR needs with 2 middle of the road FA's and draft a guy like Wheaton. I would rather go one WR in FA and 2 in the draft. Or even, like my mock, revamp the WR corps in the draft and assess other needs in FA.

Breaston is actually scheduled to meet with the Vikings:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/2/26/4033678/vikings-scheduled-to-meet-with-steve-breaston

I guess I'm in the minority with Wheaton. This team has been trying to add a vertical WR for years. Literally, the only knock on Wheaton is his size. At 5'11, 190 he is the same size as Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace. If he adds even 5 more pounds, he has similar size to Greg Jennings, Victor Cruz, Cecil Shorts, and Jeremy Maclin. So long as the team adds a bigger receiver via free agency, Wheaton is a terrific pick.

arKnaD7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post a mock draft, my first 3 picks: Brown, Wheaton, Logan Laughing

I'm on the Wheaton train as well. As you said, the only knock on him is his size, and plays larger than 5'11" with a large catch radius. I considered him at #23 in my mock.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:

Breaston is actually scheduled to meet with the Vikings:
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/2/26/4033678/vikings-scheduled-to-meet-with-steve-breaston

I guess I'm in the minority with Wheaton. This team has been trying to add a vertical WR for years. Literally, the only knock on Wheaton is his size. At 5'11, 190 he is the same size as Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace. If he adds even 5 more pounds, he has similar size to Greg Jennings, Victor Cruz, Cecil Shorts, and Jeremy Maclin. So long as the team adds a bigger receiver via free agency, Wheaton is a terrific pick.

Don't feel alone with Wheaton. I absolutely love him as a prospect and after a few years in the league people will probably wish we took a chance on him. He is the best deep threat in the class & I wish people would stop taking notice of him because I would have loved to take him in the 4th round now he is a 2nd round prospect.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we now know why receiver Steve Breaston has not signed with a new team since being cut by the Chiefs. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Breaston is considering the so-called “Regenokine treatment” in Germany for a lingering knee problem.

Schefter writes that Breaston, who recently visited the Browns and Steelers, has “knee inflammation and early arthritic symptoms.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/report-breaston-considering-knee-procedure/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Perhaps we now know why receiver Steve Breaston has not signed with a new team since being cut by the Chiefs. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Breaston is considering the so-called “Regenokine treatment” in Germany for a lingering knee problem.

Schefter writes that Breaston, who recently visited the Browns and Steelers, has “knee inflammation and early arthritic symptoms.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/report-breaston-considering-knee-procedure/

AKA the Brandon Roy treatment, for Timberwolves fans
Freakout

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

AKA the Brandon Roy treatment, for Timberwolves fans

Kobe Bryant had it done as well and he swears it helped him. There is no hope for Brandon Roy due to the lack of cartilage in his knees.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Wheaton rated highly:
I think he is behind Rogers in terms of ability.

But he is certaintly at worse on par with Hopkins.

Wheaton down side is that he is 189lbs so he could get outmuscled for the ball in jumpball situations. However, he has a great vertical (6th highest).

Hopkins on the other hand came in with at best, average combine numbers, but he shouldnt have a problem getting outmuscled for the ball.

To me its Rogers, Hunter, Wheaton, Hopkins, Patton/Williams (in that order)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Brown is spookin' me. I understood not playing at the Senior Bowl but not working out at the Combine? You had guys out there with shoulder injuries doing the drills. I feel like he is playing the system - how do you add weight if you can't lift due to a sore shoulder? How will that weight affect his speed? We don't know. I wouldn't touch him in the first round until he shows up at his Pro-Day weighing 240 lbs. and does all the drills.

I have one more question. Who was the last player we have drafted from LSU or Alabama? It just seems we avoid those schools for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love Delmas. Montgomery would be nice as well.

Adopt a Viking:
Chris Cook: Tackles: 5 Ints: 0 BP: 1 Ejections:1

Bridgewater or Bust!
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_allday2869 wrote:
Would love Delmas. Montgomery would be nice as well.

No need for a DE that early. Plus Montgomery is might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Check this out....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lsu-t-happy-hear-sam-montgomery-said-took-152908222--ncaaf.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: