Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Sanders take on Titans needs.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Chris Sanders take on Titans needs. Reply with quote

Biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball, no surprise there.
-Disruptive DT
-Ball-hawk FS / Move Griffin to SS
-Bigger CB opposite McCourty so Verner can move inside.

I have to agree with him. While I do like Verner I still feel we need another CB, and always have. Before another CB can be helpful we really have to start getting an inside pass rush going. The DEs are getting pressure, but it doesn't matter if the QB has a clean pocket to step up into. The only thing I'm still iffy on is Michael Griffin being a good player and moving to SS. It has to be better than him being our last line of defense. Pick up a middle of the pack OL, RB, and DE in either middle of the rounds or later days FA and I think those 3 changes Sanders listed would make a huge difference for us.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Titanic-Voices-Chris-Sanders-on-Draft-Needs/e0a858fb-4e47-4034-9843-2713cef90f85
Ockham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget who it was, but some football Yoda said you need to build a defense from the middle out. You need big stout players at DT, MLB, and SS that can stop the run. Everything else is built on that foundation.

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
Victor Cruz Pun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong here but wouldn't moving Griffin to strong safety be a bad move since usually they need to be good tacklers and from all those pictures of him missing tackles seem to indicate he's not so adept at that.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Sanders is getting at is Griffin is a terrible single-high safety and would be much better playing in the box. He actually does seem to be a good tackler towards the line of scrimmage, but in the open field he is bad. Bad.

Verner is a good cover corner for the first 20 yards but is not as reliable after that. And Griffin was bad at giving him help over the top. Would be nice to put Verner inside where he belongs and get a CB outside of McCourty to play the other side. In free agency Sean Smith and Domique Rogers-Cromartie wouldn't be bad options. Dashon Goldson would be a decent FS to sign as well. I doubt any of those three attact huge contracts and would be solid signings that would allow us to draft players for the trenches.

Sheldon Richardson in the first. Provided Milliner, Star, and Moore are gone.

Whichever G/C is available come our pick in the 2nd. There are a lot projected to go in the late first/early second, it just depends which one falls to us.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Sanders take on Titans needs. Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball, no surprise there.
-Disruptive DT
-Ball-hawk FS / Move Griffin to SS
-Bigger CB opposite McCourty so Verner can move inside.

I have to agree with him. While I do like Verner I still feel we need another CB, and always have. Before another CB can be helpful we really have to start getting an inside pass rush going. The DEs are getting pressure, but it doesn't matter if the QB has a clean pocket to step up into. The only thing I'm still iffy on is Michael Griffin being a good player and moving to SS. It has to be better than him being our last line of defense. Pick up a middle of the pack OL, RB, and DE in either middle of the rounds or later days FA and I think those 3 changes Sanders listed would make a huge difference for us.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Titanic-Voices-Chris-Sanders-on-Draft-Needs/e0a858fb-4e47-4034-9843-2713cef90f85

Bold Print: What? Really? That's funny...with the exception of the Griffin nonsense, it sounds like the exact same sh-t I've been saying for months, and in that order.

1. I agree that we do need to move Griffin to SS...only on another team all-together.
A SS that gets trucked over consistently does us no good at all.

2. And Tommie Campbell is that "big" CB that we need to start opposite of McCourty. His size and speed was the reason we drafted him. If anything, we need depth replacement at CB.

RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a joker.

We have a ball hawk safety in Michael Griffin. Instead, we should get a more in-the-box safety IF we go safety at all.

Get some pass rush in front of Griffin and watch him make picks all day long.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Sanders take on Titans needs. Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:

2. And Tommie Campbell is that "big" CB that we need to start opposite of McCourty. His size and speed was the reason we drafted him. If anything, we need depth replacement at CB.[/color]

If Campbell was any good he would have gotten playing time last year. Just because you're tall, fast, and can mop floors doesn't mean you're a good corner.

Ryan Mouton and Cody Sensabaugh both started over him. Munchak hasn't hesitated once starting young players over the previous starters if they were going to outperform them, so what makes you think Campbell will outperform now? Sensabaugh is the only one that has a chance of developing into a starting corner.
Ockham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell got playing time in the last game and had 7 tackles and 1 pass defensed. Thought he played well. That being said, if Milliner falls, I'd take him in a minute.

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Sanders take on Titans needs. Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

2. And Tommie Campbell is that "big" CB that we need to start opposite of McCourty. His size and speed was the reason we drafted him. If anything, we need depth replacement at CB.[/color]

If Campbell was any good he would have gotten playing time last year. Just because you're tall, fast, and can mop floors doesn't mean you're a good corner.

Ryan Mouton and Cody Sensabaugh both started over him. Munchak hasn't hesitated once starting young players over the previous starters if they were going to outperform them, so what makes you think Campbell will outperform now? Sensabaugh is the only one that has a chance of developing into a starting corner.

I noticed Campbell shutdown Justin Blackmon pretty quick when they put him in. Blackmon was starting to have his way with Verner with his size. Campbell came in and covered, and you didn't hear anything else from Blackmon the rest of the game. He has the size and speed, but he also has been improving his technique. Next season Tommie Campbell should be competing for the #2 spot, not because of that game, but because it's either now or never. No need in putting it off any longer. The problem with Munch is he still has that underlying fear factor that our staff has been known for. All he has to do is just roll the dice on the kid. Nothing happens when you don't try.
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommie Campbell not getting reps in Verner's role during garbage time in one of the 40 games that we were getting blown out in this year was just idiotic, IMO.

When you have a raw athlete like that, you got to give him a chance to see what he can do. He should have gone in when the game was out of hand already.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:
Tommie Campbell not getting reps in Verner's role during garbage time in one of the 40 games that we were getting blown out in this year was just idiotic, IMO.

When you have a raw athlete like that, you got to give him a chance to see what he can do. He should have gone in when the game was out of hand already.

Does Munchak look like a smart creative innovative Coach to you?

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
deeluxx3 wrote:

Does Munchak look like a smart creative innovative Coach to you?

I got to the point where I was hoping Bud would lay down the hammer to start Campbell ala what he did with the legend, the playmaker, the man with ice in his veins Vince Young

TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a player is in his second year and hasn't gotten a chance to start there is probably a good reason for that. That train of thought is common on this forum, but very seldom is a random poster who knows the players 40-yard dash time correct over the coach who sees him everyday in practice.

Munchak doesn't have to prove anything to anyone about a pure special teams player by putting him in.

If he hasn't gotten playing time yet.. there is a good reason.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
If a player is in his second year and hasn't gotten a chance to start there is probably a good reason for that. That train of thought is common on this forum, but very seldom is a random poster who knows the players 40-yard dash time correct over the coach who sees him everyday in practice.

Munchak doesn't have to prove anything to anyone about a pure special teams player by putting him in.

Well said.
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

This is true but I feel that when a game is out of hand, it is harmless to put in a guy with raw talent and see how he can play.

Campbell was getting major praise all offseason and gets a chance to play against Seattle in the first preseason game. He gave up a TD to Braylon Edwards on a real nice pass and catch. Big whoop. He wasn't seen on the outside again for pretty much the rest of the season.

I think the guy deserves a bigger shot than what he was given. Especially when Ryan Mouton was given opportunity after opportunity to prove how incompetent he is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: