Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Philip Rivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoffma1999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are misreading the original post. The original post proposes SD gets our first, and next years 2nd; while we get Phillip Rivers and SD's #13 pick. How anyone would pass that trade up is beyond me. Rivers is a top 10 QB easy, and he would make us an immediate playoff contender. He is only 31 and should have 4-5 good years left. All we would be giving up is a few spots in the first round and next years 2nd, big deal.

I would then try to work a trade down from #13 to recoup the 2nd for next year, and we would get Phillip Rivers for a simple trade down. You have to make that trade. Then we could draft a QB that could come in and learn from Norv Turner and sit behind Rivers for a couple years.

With our first round pick we could still land a quality player to plug into the defense, or maybe the top TE Eifert to really give our offense some weapons.

- Props to 64 CHAMPS for the awesome sig -
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schuttje wrote:
Next option then is Alex Smith? I don't hate the idea of Weeden starting in 2013, just weighing my options.

No lost his starting job to Kaepernick (who is a much better QB). I would rather throw the bank at Joe Flacco than pay someone like Alex freaking Smith.
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
schuttje wrote:
Next option then is Alex Smith? I don't hate the idea of Weeden starting in 2013, just weighing my options.

Alex Smith will cost a pretty penny to get him.

He was performing at a very high level when he went down with injury, and 49ers have no reason to release him.

Isn't he owed 9 million this year? They are right up against the cap
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
schuttje wrote:

He was performing at a very high level when he went down with injury, and 49ers have no reason to release him.

Isn't he owed 9 million this year? They are right up against the cap

They are close, but they are under. He is due 7.5 + 1 mil roster bonus due in March, and if they cut him they do take a cap hit. If they trade/cut him they have nothing behind Kaepernik if he gets hurt... Should be interesting to see what they do.

He is a FA in 2015 so I expect him to restructure his contract with whatever team he lands on (49ers included). He ties with Norv, but the Jags with Roman is a very possible landing spot for him as well...

Oh, and remember if you bring in Alex Smith you are bringing him to start not compete, so you are essentially dumping Weeden.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it is that "down time" between the end of the season and the draft for us, but I think we should all take a deep breath and think about what has transpired over the last couple of weeks.

We've brought in a new head coach who has a pretty good reputation of fitting his offensive scheme to meet the strengths of his personnel.

He's brought in arguably one of the top offensive coordinators over the last generation.

We've got a quarterback that was annointed with a starting job that he may not have been ready to take. But he did a fair job, starting with three other rookies, and a 2nd year WR. He was directed to run an offense that probably wasn't best suited to match with his skill set.

While it is completely natural for us to consider possible replacements and/or upgrades for Weeden (including the aforementioned Philip Rivers), I, for one, am extremely excited to see what is going to transpire under the tutelage of Chudzinski and Turner.

Rivers is a great QB, but the move to Chud and Turner makes me think that the new braintrust feels that Weeden may be who they are looking for at QB. Another year under the belt of our top two WR's, an OC who can possibly make a very serviceable player out of Jordan Cameron, one of the best young RB's in the game, along with one of the best o-lines in the game, makes me pretty excited to see what happens in the future.

I don't think we need to make a knee-jerk reaction to bring in someone who is even older, and has a ton more mileage on his body than does Weeden.

For what it is worth, that's

"We really liked Chud." So did we Jimmy. You better be right about this one. TANKED STRONG Props to DaBoyle250 for the Sig! TEAM STYLISH
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
schuttje wrote:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/alex-smith/

After receiving his $1M roster bonus, he will be guaranteed $7.5M if he is on the roster on 4/1/13.

I think that's 8.5 million reasons to release him. Highly doubt anyone takes on that contract, but desperation makes teams do stupid things.

Turner has worked with him in the past, but that doesn't really mean he likes him for his offensive scheme. In theory, Weeden is a more natural fit. Also, about $9M cheaper and costs zero extra draft picks. That's a lot of incentive to make Weeden work.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
After receiving his $1M roster bonus, he will be guaranteed $7.5M if he is on the roster on 4/1/13. I think that's 8.5 million reasons to release him. Highly doubt anyone takes on that contract, but desperation makes teams do stupid things

look up. Smile we are saying the same thing. lol

Dropkick_pride wrote:
He is due 7.5 + 1 mil roster bonus due in March... He is a FA in 2015 so I expect him to restructure his contract with whatever team he lands on (49ers included).

I have read a couple different opinions on how much of a cap hit the 49ers take if they cut him before his bonus and salary are due.... opinions seem to be conflicting on that point. If the niners can work out the money issue they will keep him, Kaepernik is a rookie and a mobile one at that. Good back up is good to have - see rg3. If they cant they will do their best to trade him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoffma1999 wrote:
I think people are misreading the original post. The original post proposes SD gets our first, and next years 2nd; while we get Phillip Rivers and SD's #13 pick. How anyone would pass that trade up is beyond me. Rivers is a top 10 QB easy, and he would make us an immediate playoff contender. He is only 31 and should have 4-5 good years left. All we would be giving up is a few spots in the first round and next years 2nd, big deal.

I would then try to work a trade down from #13 to recoup the 2nd for next year, and we would get Phillip Rivers for a simple trade down. You have to make that trade. Then we could draft a QB that could come in and learn from Norv Turner and sit behind Rivers for a couple years.

With our first round pick we could still land a quality player to plug into the defense, or maybe the top TE Eifert to really give our offense some weapons.

I'd rather have Weeden. Go back and watch the Browns/Chargers game. Rivers looked like trash and is a turnover machine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: