Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders hire Greg Olson to be OC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
Greg Knapp is stuck in 1999, the guy was afraid to update his playbook. I just hope Greg Olson isn't stubborn like Knapp and everything needs to be done his way. Just mold your scheme around the talent... And get Reece involved more... Ausberry too.

+1

A good OC should have his scheme/style/whatever, but should also be innovative enough and willing to adapt it to his personnel and his opponents.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Django wrote:

I can appreciate this lol.

Loved this movie. The hood scene was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in a movie.

La_Vader wrote:
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Django wrote:

I can appreciate this lol.

Loved this movie. The hood scene was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in a movie.

Still haven't seen it. Just a sucker for irony and satire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
Greg Knapp is stuck in 1999, the guy was afraid to update his playbook. I just hope Greg Olson isn't stubborn like Knapp and everything needs to be done his way. Just mold your scheme around the talent... And get Reece involved more... Ausberry too.

You mean McFadden as apart from him we have no outstanding talent on the team which IMO is a big problem.
With McFaddens injury history then you have to decide if you can afford to mold your team around him.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
dawsonleery wrote:

You mean McFadden as apart from him we have no outstanding talent on the team which IMO is a big problem.With McFaddens injury history then you have to decide if you can afford to mold your team around him.

I know we're not overflowing with great players but surely Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford have obvious talent (albeit inconsistent), Carson Palmer has talent (but prone to erratic decisions) and Marcel Reece is possibly the best (non-out-and-out blocking) FB in the game.

We definately have some serious talent, though admittedly with obvious flaws. It's up to the OC primarily and the HC to play to the strengths and to hide or improve the flaws.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Keleth wrote:
dawsonleery wrote:

You mean McFadden as apart from him we have no outstanding talent on the team which IMO is a big problem.With McFaddens injury history then you have to decide if you can afford to mold your team around him.

I know we're not overflowing with great players but surely Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford have obvious talent (albeit inconsistent), Carson Palmer has talent (but prone to erratic decisions) and Marcel Reece is possibly the best (non-out-and-out blocking) FB in the game.

We definately have some serious talent, though admittedly with obvious flaws. It's up to the OC primarily and the HC to play to the strengths and to hide or improve the flaws.

I think you replace "the talent" with the players you have to work with and it means the same. A majority of NFL players are able to do something well enough, if you ask them to do what they're good at and avoid what they struggle with, the team is getting better results. You just need to have players who complement each other well and let them stick to their given role. You probably won't be a great team without some upper talent but at least you'll get the best of your roster.
Rolni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/paul-gutierrez/olson-seeks-revival-al-davis-football-oakland
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/paul-gutierrez/olson-seeks-revival-al-davis-football-oakland

Thanks for posting that Rolni. The guy said things I personally want to hear, specifically catering to the skillsets of the players, even more specifically McFadden.

There's no reason McFadden, when healthy, should be anything worse than a top 5 RB. He's an incredible weapon. Dumbazz Knapp used our sawed-off shotgun like a sniper rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:

Quote:
Q: What is your offensive philosophy, or can guys get pigeonholed by a description?
A: Yeah, I think you really have to build your offense around the personnel you have on your football team. So that can change, certainly, depending upon the players that you have. You know, I think we're going to be a -- you can throw out all the cliches -- we're going to be smart, disciplined, a mentally and physically tough football team but really, we're going to build it around the playmakers that we have on the team and the things that they do well.

Winning

That right there makes me happy. You cant come in to a new team and be dead set in your ways. Every roster is different, every player is different. I'm glad he is going to adapt to the personnel.

Quote:
Q: When you look at the Raiders' personnel, what jumps out at you?
A: A matchup problem -- Marcel Reece

I really hope this means he plans on using Reece a lot more than he has been used in past seaosns. If it werent for McFadden's injury, I'm certain Knapp wouldnt have used him nearly as much.

I actually like a lot of what I have read about Olson. I know he didnt have very successful seasons in TB, but had one very good year in STL. I think it is more about philosophy and actual playcalling than rankings, because that can depend on the talent of players and defense (always trailing, etc) on top of his ability as an OC. I have heard mixed feelings on his playcalling from Bucs fans. Most say he is conservative, a lot said 3 and outs were an issue, a lot said he creates explosive plays, some say the talent level had a lot to do with their results, etc. I think it just means we really have to wait and see what he does with our team.

La_Vader wrote:
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: What appealed to you about this job?
A: There's only 32 offensive coordinator jobs in the league, so it was a chance for me, again, to get into a role of responsibility as a playcaller. So, I'm excited to get back in. I enjoyed my time in Tampa as an offensive coordinator, and in St. Louis, so it's just another opportunity for me to take on the role as an offensive coordinator.

I really appreciate him being candid. It's make me want to really get behind a guy who doesn't blow smoke . . . .

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Quote:
Q: What is your offensive philosophy, or can guys get pigeonholed by a description?
A: Yeah, I think you really have to build your offense around the personnel you have on your football team. So that can change, certainly, depending upon the players that you have. You know, I think we're going to be a -- you can throw out all the cliches -- we're going to be smart, disciplined, a mentally and physically tough football team but really, we're going to build it around the playmakers that we have on the team and the things that they do well.

Winning

That right there makes me happy. You cant come in to a new team and be dead set in your ways. Every roster is different, every player is different. I'm glad he is going to adapt to the personnel.

Quote:

I really hope this means he plans on using Reece a lot more than he has been used in past seaosns. If it werent for McFadden's injury, I'm certain Knapp wouldnt have used him nearly as much.

I actually like a lot of what I have read about Olson. I know he didnt have very successful seasons in TB, but had one very good year in STL. I think it is more about philosophy and actual playcalling than rankings, because that can depend on the talent of players and defense (always trailing, etc) on top of his ability as an OC. I have heard mixed feelings on his playcalling from Bucs fans. Most say he is conservative, a lot said 3 and outs were an issue, a lot said he creates explosive plays, some say the talent level had a lot to do with their results, etc. I think it just means we really have to wait and see what he does with our team.

Yeah, at least he doesn't have an ego to try to force his scheme no matter the personel he has to work with.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
Rolni wrote:

Quote:

Winning

Quote:

Yeah, at least he doesn't have an ego to try to force his scheme no matter the personel he has to work with.

Exactly. Stubborness can be the downfall of someone. This game is ever-evolving, every opponent is different, and every player on your team is different from the ones on your past teams. You have to be willing and able to adapt.

La_Vader wrote:
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: Obviously, the zone-blocking scheme last year did not work for McFadden, so you're saying you apply the offense to your personnel?
A: Yeah, no question. And what do they do well? What type of runners do we have? What type of blockers do we have up front? And I think you have to base your scheme…upon that, as opposed to coming in and saying, This is what I do and this is what I've done. You've got to take a look at your personnel and find out what they do best and try to build upon those strengths.

nice he is saying all the right things

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:

Exactly. Stubborness can be the downfall of someone. This game is ever-evolving, every opponent is different, and every player on your team is different from the ones on your past teams. You have to be willing and able to adapt.

Most great coaches don't change their system for their players though. Great organisations set their system in placed and build players towards that. Raiders yet again seem to want to do it [inappropriate/removed] ways.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:

Most great coaches don't change their system for their players though. Great organisations set their system in placed and build players towards that. Raiders yet again seem to want to do it [inappropriate/removed] ways.

Agree. And I think that is why the Raiders hired a guy like Olson. Experience and he will be around for a while to allow the team some consistency in finding talent for their system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 22 of 28

Jump to: