Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Weeden an NFL QB? Can he be a good NFL QB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Weeden an NFL QB?
Yes
89%
 89%  [ 26 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 29

Entropy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Is Weeden an NFL QB? Can he be a good NFL QB? Reply with quote

Or is he just a non NFL QB that just happened to break several Browns rookie records while surrounded by the most inexperience in the league while playing in a complex system that even HOF QBs struggle in during their first year or so?

Discuss

Last edited by Entropy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden's wiki page says he is an NFL QB so... Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Weeden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:

Wait what? So because he throws deep means he's going to be good, or just that he fits in the NFL because he can air the ball out? I can think of plenty of big arm QB's who suck.

He makes passes that many QBs in the NFL right now can't. He has a quicker release than most NFL QBs. He produced well enough to now own several Browns rookie QB records.

What are your criticisms?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

Wait what? So because he throws deep means he's going to be good, or just that he fits in the NFL because he can air the ball out? I can think of plenty of big arm QB's who suck.

He makes passes that many QBs in the NFL right now can't. He has a quicker release than most NFL QBs. He produced well enough to now own several Browns rookie QB records.

Laughing I like Weeden. If you go back to the Horton thread and carefully read my post, you'll see I said I was not on either side of your's and Bruce's bickering, I just asked to hear your reasons why you like him other than "He fits the vertical passing game".

He does make big time throws, but he also makes [inappropriate/removed] Derek Anderson throws. I wasn't impressed with his judgement or confidence this year. Anyone recall throwing it away on 4th and 3?

I want Weeden to succeed. I'll root for him like I rooted for Colt. but like so many of us who were in love with Colt then quickly ditched him for Weeden, I have a feeling the same will happen with Weeden once someone new comes into town. I just don't think he has what it takes to be a great QB, let alone the time to develop into one.

Hope I'm wrong and I hope he lights it up this year. But his rookie campaign didn't exactly give me a great deal of faith.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

Laughing I like Weeden. If you go back to the Horton thread and carefully read my post, you'll see I said I was not on either side of your's and Bruce's bickering, I just asked to hear your reasons why you like him other than "He fits the vertical passing game".

He does make big time throws, but he also makes [inappropriate/removed] Derek Anderson throws. I wasn't impressed with his judgement or confidence this year. Anyone recall throwing it away on 4th and 3?

I want Weeden to succeed. I'll root for him like I rooted for Colt. but like so many of us who were in love with Colt then quickly ditched him for Weeden, I have a feeling the same will happen with Weeden once someone new comes into town. I just don't think he has what it takes to be a great QB, let alone the time to develop into one.

Hope I'm wrong and I hope he lights it up this year. But his rookie campaign didn't exactly give me a great deal of faith.

I'll say this, if a QB comes to town that is clearly better than Weeden to the degree that Weeden is clearly better than Colt, I would feel silly to not instantly like him.

That guy isn't Alex Smith, by the way.

But yeah, he's made some pretty bad decisions and some pretty bad throws too. But in all honesty, he isn't doing that anywhere near the degree of DA, at all.

I clearly saw the difficulty he had with the WCO, but I also saw similar degrees of difficulty during the rookie years of every QB that had to run the WCO.

Despite that and the lack of experience around him, he showed promise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

I'll say this, if a QB comes to town that is clearly better than Weeden to the degree that Weeden is clearly better than Colt, I would feel silly to not instantly like him.

But yeah, he's made some pretty bad decisions and some pretty bad throws too. But in all honesty, he isn't doing that anywhere near the degree of DA, at all.

I clearly saw the difficulty he had with the WCO, but I also saw similar degrees of difficulty during the rookie years of every QB that had to run the WCO.

Agreed. And I really really really hope it was the lame Shurmur WCO holding Weeden back more than the other way around. And that Chud/Turner can put Weeden in an offense he's more comfortable and ready for.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

finally a good, well put post in regards to weeden. he was a rookie with not that much experience around him. Yes he made some bonehead throws, but don't most rookies (unless your RGlll or r. Wilson). tannehill and luck were about the same has weeden (stats wise) but with more experience around them and probably better coaching. im not completely sold on weeden yet, but I would like to see him start this year with some better coaching I hope.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

Agreed. And I really really really hope it was the lame Shurmur WCO holding Weeden back more than the other way around. And that Chud/Turner can put Weeden in an offense he's more comfortable and ready for.

Well, remember how he seemed so tentative while reading a defense? That was all WCO. The reads post snap involve predicting how a route tree will change due to coverage.

When the call was a quick slant, he nailed it 9 times out of 10. When the WR was open on a go route, he often nailed it unless he was hit as he threw.

But then we would see him have what seemed like all the time in the world and not find anyone open...yeah, that's because he didn't have receivers that were experienced enough to know how to break their route and return to the QB...Weeden wasn't looking in the right place sometimes too, because the scheme can be so rigid. That's why Favre was viewed as such a PITA by Holmgren sometimes, Favre would say "screw the scheme, I'm throwing to that marginally open guy".

Now, with more simplified calls, routes (depth of receivers is huge in the WCO), and more deep passing, I can see Weeden looking like a different guy next year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
CleBrowns07 wrote:

Well, remember how he seemed so tentative while reading a defense? That was all WCO. The reads post snap involve predicting how a route tree will change due to coverage.

When the call was a quick slant, he nailed it 9 times out of 10. When the WR was open on a go route, he often nailed it unless he was hit as he threw.

But then we would see him have what seemed like all the time in the world and not find anyone open...yeah, that's because he didn't have receivers that were experienced enough to know how to break their route and return to the QB...Weeden wasn't looking in the right place sometimes too, because the scheme can be so rigid. That's why Favre was viewed as such a PITA by Holmgren sometimes, Favre would say "screw the scheme, I'm throwing to that marginally open guy".

Now, with more simplified calls, routes (depth of receivers is huge in the WCO), and more deep passing, I can see Weeden looking like a different guy next year.

He did look most comfortable when the plays were designed to go deep and stretch the field. And hey, if DA can put up nearly 30 TD's under Chud then Weeden should be able to muster a decent season Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a QB who plays in the NFL so the only answer is yes.

Now if you had asked if he is a good NFL QB then other answers could be right.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
bruceb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie shmookie. So were Luck, Griffin, Wilson, etc.

He sucked!

Can't do progressions...stares down receivers...throws balls into DL's hands...feet of clay and is horribly inaccurate on the only thing he can do well, which is throw a long ball.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:

He sucked!

Can't do progressions...stares down receivers...throws balls into DL's hands...feet of clay and is horribly inaccurate on the only thing he can do well, which is throw a long ball.

Read the title of the thread again.... the only right answer is yes. Nothing in the title ask's if he is good Wink

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
bruceb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
bruceb wrote:

He sucked!

Read the title of the thread again.... the only right answer is yes. Nothing in the title ask's if he is good Wink

Cheers!!!!!!! Razz
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him get coached up this year. Then it's fair to pass judgement.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:

He sucked!

He also throws a good short ball, better than D.A., Colt, Quinn etc... His accuracy isn't bad on any throw in my opinion.

Weeden's biggest flaw last year from what I saw was missing his window. He wasn't up to game speed or he wasn't finding his open receiver quick enough, which could be rookie flaws or just a QB flaw, hard to tell.

He does many things well, which is why a lot of people want to see him in year 2. He also had a lot of time to sit in the pocket, which made his job easier, which I understand frustrates his detractors.

Bottom line...undetermined.

Can't prove he can't do it, can't prove he can. Remember that when discussing him, we are all entitled to our opinions. You just can't say with certainty that he will or won't.

His "supporters" want to see if he succeeds/fails while in a Browns uniform. His detractors want to see him fail/succeed in another uniform.

3 lines beneath bottom line... I hope we see him succeed in a Browns uniform, and one that I recognize. Darn Haslem and his Obama like changes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: