You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chip Kelly Staple Plays and Offensive Philosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
BBIB Thanks for the links. They "in game adjustment" ones were great. Every time Harbaugh and Vangio tried to stop Chip would counter. Bring the safeties in for the inside zone? We'll bubble screen 2 straight times gaining 16 yards. Pull a LB out to help? While run in the middle where the LB was. The faces of Harbaugh say it all.

Or how about this adjustment? Just added this one to the list

The FishDuck Minute #16: Combatting the Scrape Exchange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zha8NxKPaZE

WHen I watched the beginning of the vid I was thinking, wow they totally found the answer to that O. But then he just made them look foolish

And this one is the craziest of them all
The Fish Report: Oregon's New "Sweep Read"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eWXJsLDpU0

They can literally do a zone read for every player in the front 7
defensive end, defensive tackle, outside linebacker, and inside linebacker

It's just insane how creative this stuff is and how much more fun it is when you see it actually broken down

NFL defenses may be more complex than college defenses but the overpursuit, hesitation, confusion, unbalance is still going to be huge problems for even the soundest of defenses against this offense

And that's not even mentioning fatigue as a factor
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how much of his Oregon system that he brings with him.

I don't think he'll bring all of it with him i.e. we won't see the zone read as the staple of the running game, though he will definitely bring some of it with him e.g. the different tempos of offense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope we get rid of Vick unless he will play for the vet minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good read,l. I don't think that the whole playbook will come, just some elements. Like the fact that he adjusts in game is something we lack. Also glad that we already have a kicker in place already.

I'm more interested in seeing what he'll do with the defense. Best thing for him to do is just let the D-Coord do his job.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some interesting videos. Like others have said, I don't believe Chip will attempt to bring the offense wholesale into the NFL, but will instead include a lot of the concepts hopefully in creative ways. For the record, Chip and Shady should get along famously. Many of those concepts fit his skill set perfectly.
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sole purpose of the offense is to get the defense in 1 on 1 match-ups to exploit the less talented player. This is great in college where the talent is all over the place.
The NFL is the top 1 percent in terms of the talent pool.
The speed at which Chip plays is fine when you have 100 guys on the sideline.
When you 50 guys on your sideline different story.
When your franchise QB is taking hits because of your scheme again, not good.
How much is Griffin going to run the read option next season? As soon as QBs starting getting hurt, and they are, coaches will move away from this. QB's will be averaging 20 million a year by the end of this decade, they are already the highest paid guys on the team. Do coaches really want their investments taking unnecessary shots? No
Defenses are always a year behind trying to stop new plays/schemes.
Are there elements of the read option that will work? Sure there are.
Question, what happened to the wildcat? Just sayin.......
There have been different gimmick offenses in the NFL over the years and 99 of them have gone away, but elements from them remain.
Ask Steve Spurrier how his offense worked out at the pro level.
The idea is still the same. Get the ball in to your players hands that can make things happen. Score as many points as you can and stop the other team from scoring.
If Chip Kelly runs his offense just the way he did in college he will be gone in 2 years. From what I have seen and heard from him above all else he adapts. Moving to the NFL is no different. He will adapt elements of his offensive philosophy to the pro game. That's it
And for God sake please don't bring up New England.
Kelly's own words, " this thing with Belecheat is overblown. They don't run the offense we ran at Oregon. We talked about philosophy and tempo for a couple minutes."
History in the NFL has been clear over the last 100 years. As soon as someone comes up with a new gimmick, someone else comes up with a way to stop it.
I said it before and I'll say again. Chip Kelly did not reinvent the wheel so stop acting like he has.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Rey1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly is a very smart guy ... you can tell by his presser that the guy has a quick answer for everything. He'll adapt his offense to the players strengths and his pro Offense may end up looking nothing like his college Offense. While some of the stuff he runs in college won't fly at this level there are plenty of things that will be successfull when incorporated. This isn't Andy Reid who comes in with one gameplan and refuses to change up if it isn't working ... Kelly is a guy whom I see making the in-game adjustments to continuously take advantage of the oppositions weaknesses. Adaptability and constantly finding the mismatches is a must at the pro level regardless of what offense you run and what I believe will make his transition a successfull one.
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
The sole purpose of the offense is to get the defense in 1 on 1 match-ups to exploit the less talented player. This is great in college where the talent is all over the place.
How much is Griffin going to run the read option next season? As soon as QBs starting getting hurt, and they are, coaches will move away from this. QB's will be averaging 20 million a year by the end of this decade, they are already the highest paid guys on the team. Do coaches really want their investments taking unnecessary shots? No
There have been different gimmick offenses in the NFL over the years and 99 of them have gone away, but elements from them remain.
The idea is still the same. Get the ball in to your players hands that can make things happen. Score as many points as you can and stop the other team from scoring.
If Chip Kelly runs his offense just the way he did in college he will be gone in 2 years. From what I have seen and heard from him above all else he adapts. Moving to the NFL is no different. He will adapt elements of his offensive philosophy to the pro game. That's it
Kelly's own words, " this thing with Belecheat is overblown. They don't run the offense we ran at Oregon. We talked about philosophy and tempo for a couple minutes."
History in the NFL has been clear over the last 100 years. As soon as someone comes up with a new gimmick, someone else comes up with a way to stop it.
I said it before and I'll say again. Chip Kelly did not reinvent the wheel so stop acting like he has.

The reason why I bring up New England is not because of the Belicheck meeting, but because New England essentially runs a variation of the spread at the pro level including the uptempo style. Further, it's been extremely successful - I imagine Chup has noticed and as a result. I think that is the offense Chip will base his around.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiCelek87 wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

The reason why I bring up New England is not because of the Belicheck meeting, but because New England essentially runs a variation of the spread at the pro level including the uptempo style. Further, it's been extremely successful - I imagine Chup has noticed and as a result. I think that is the offense Chip will base his around.

If that's the case, I wouldn't discount Kelly bringing in someone versed in the Erhardt-Perkins system on the offensive staff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:

Just because something is new doesn't mean it's a gimmick that has a shelf life. You compare it to the wildcat when that was series of plays. That's not an offense. An offense is something that you can use to make moves and counter moves to what a defense is doing and to force a defense into constraint plays.

And it doesn't have limitations of stretching the field that Ronnie Brown throwing a basic vertical route that only works when there is a complete element of surprise like on a WR Pass

You mention Steve Spurrier, and that's probably the most overused example of someone not having success for so many reasons

1)His offense didn't feature any tight ends nor was there any running component to take the pressure off of the QB

2)Spurrier was a lazy head coach who spent so much of his time on the golf course instead of in film, in meetings, etc

3)Most importantly Spurrier DIDNT HAVE A STARTING QB. Like not even a top 30 QB.

Same with Nick Saban. Not even Bill Belichick could win in Cleveland when he had poor QB play.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with BBIB on the spurrier part, Chip and him are nothing alike outside the offensive guru label

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Those are some interesting videos. Like others have said, I don't believe Chip will attempt to bring the offense wholesale into the NFL, but will instead include a lot of the concepts hopefully in creative ways. For the record, Chip and Shady should get along famously. Many of those concepts fit his skill set perfectly.

I think the main thing that Chip Kelly may scrap may be some of those type of runs where the QB runs inside

That is more dangerous than the type of plays where if the QB keeps the ball it's to the outside where he can protect himself more and avoid getting hit in traffic by bigger interior defenders

But they don't run that play often at Oregon anyways. And again most of his QBs only ran the ball 6-8 times per game anyway.

That's no more often than a normal dual threat QB running a "pro style" offense on plays that break down
BBIB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Got to agree with BBIB on the spurrier part, Chip and him are nothing alike outside the offensive guru label

But expect the media to use that label a lot even though they have NOTHING in common from an Xs and Os standpoint or a situation standpoint. IN addition to being a Vick homer, one of the reasons I say Vick will help Chip Kelly is that it gives them an opportunity to win quickly which could mean a lot in Chip Kelly totally taking that "Spurrier and Saban" label off of him

Obviously Vick isn't the QB for the next 5-10 years, but it gives the Eagles a chance to win now AND develop a QB of the future
Rey1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

Just because something is new doesn't mean it's a gimmick that has a shelf life. You compare it to the wildcat when that was series of plays. That's not an offense. An offense is something that you can use to make moves and counter moves to what a defense is doing and to force a defense into constraint plays.

And it doesn't have limitations of stretching the field that Ronnie Brown throwing a basic vertical route that only works when there is a complete element of surprise like on a WR Pass

You mention Steve Spurrier, and that's probably the most overused example of someone not having success for so many reasons

1)His offense didn't feature any tight ends nor was there any running component to take the pressure off of the QB

2)Spurrier was a lazy head coach who spent so much of his time on the golf course instead of in film, in meetings, etc

3)Most importantly Spurrier DIDNT HAVE A STARTING QB. Like not even a top 30 QB.

Same with Nick Saban. Not even Bill Belichick could win in Cleveland when he had poor QB play.

Good post ... agree 100%
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:

But expect the media to use that label a lot even though they have NOTHING in common from an Xs and Os standpoint or a situation standpoint. IN addition to being a Vick homer, one of the reasons I say Vick will help Chip Kelly is that it gives them an opportunity to win quickly which could mean a lot in Chip Kelly totally taking that "Spurrier and Saban" label off of him

Obviously Vick isn't the QB for the next 5-10 years, but it gives the Eagles a chance to win now AND develop a QB of the future

Can you take you Vick obsession elsewhere? Cause no one else here wants to hear it. Because you clearly are blind to the truth I will break it down for you. VICK IS AWFUL. He makes terrible decisions, he is inaccurate with his throws, he is the least durable QB in the NFL and he fumbles all the time. We know that you want Chip to run Oregon's offense to try and "save Vick", but it won't happen. If Vick starts next year we will win just as many games as last year. Blindly supporting a former superstar you loved because he was on your favorite team is great, but don't try and convince us he is any good, cause he is garbage.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: