Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans won't rule out QB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - Just watched again. Totally agree with Dilfer's assessment that Matt needs to be at 90%+ to still be effective where some Qbs can fade to 80% and still be effective. Disagree with the Rivers comparison as Rivers was always about the vertical game and Schaub never has been so the dropoff isn't as severe. He is what he is and there have been plenty of QBs just like this that have been very successful.

I would extend this to the surrounding talent that has to elevate as well as guys like Troy Aikman, Joe Thiesmann/Rypien, or Kurt Warner were really good, but not winning rings without exceptional talent peaking around them in all phases. Sometimes you can have a guy like Brady over Bledsoe who instantly fixes some of the underlying problems in not getting over the hump, but more often then not you end up with a decade of wishing you had the "limitations" of Aikman, Thiesmann/Rypien, or Warner back. That's where the Alex Smith/Kaepernick thing scares me as we already did that in moving from Carr to Schaub and many are proposing that a David Carr type is the solution.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
BTW - Just watched again. Totally agree with Dilfer's assessment that Matt needs to be at 90%+ to still be effective where some Qbs can fade to 80% and still be effective. Disagree with the Rivers comparison as Rivers was always about the vertical game and Schaub never has been so the dropoff isn't as severe. He is what he is and there have been plenty of QBs just like this that have been very successful.

I would extend this to the surrounding talent that has to elevate as well as guys like Troy Aikman, Joe Thiesmann/Rypien, or Kurt Warner were really good, but not winning rings without exceptional talent peaking around them in all phases. Sometimes you can have a guy like Brady over Bledsoe who instantly fixes some of the underlying problems in not getting over the hump, but more often then not you end up with a decade of wishing you had the "limitations" of Aikman, Thiesmann/Rypien, or Warner back. That's where the Alex Smith/Kaepernick thing scares me as we already did that in moving from Carr to Schaub and many are proposing that a David Carr type is the solution.

Matt Schaub has become a less mobile David Carr
norg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ur saying we should get David Carr again since he knows our system ......... My gwad lol
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Why stop there. Maybe we should just give Tony Banks or Dave Ragone a ring. They were also more mobile than Schaub. Amazing the Colts didn't just force Manning off the roster earlier for Painter because they needed a passer who could make a few first downs with his feet instead of this whole old school forward pass strategy. Silly Broncos should have just stuck with Tebow. I'm out on this pointless debate until the Schaub haters present a viable alternative.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie Stradley did an interesting piece on Schaub

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2013/03/the-matt-schaub-compendium/
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Why stop there. Maybe we should just give Tony Banks or Dave Ragone a ring. They were also more mobile than Schaub. Amazing the Colts didn't just force Manning off the roster earlier for Painter because they needed a passer who could make a few first downs with his feet instead of this whole old school forward pass strategy. Silly Broncos should have just stuck with Tebow. I'm out on this pointless debate until the Schaub haters present a viable alternative.

where in my post did I advocate for Carr, my post ACTUALLY was stating I wouldn't want Carr or Schaub because they are too similar (feels imaginery pressure, weak arm, not consistent accuracy, fails in big spot light)

I know its hard Apollo with you being old and losing your mind and all, but try to keep up. Ive already stated I don't like Schaub but acknowledged there is not much we can do THIS OFF-SEASON.....I am fully aware he is our qb this season.
Underwood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

where in my post did I advocate for Carr, my post ACTUALLY was stating I wouldn't want Carr or Schaub because they are too similar (feels imaginery pressure, weak arm, not consistent accuracy, fails in big spot light)

I know its hard Apollo with you being old and losing your mind and all, but try to keep up. Ive already stated I don't like Schaub but acknowledged there is not much we can do THIS OFF-SEASON.....I am fully aware he is our qb this season.

I think he's just saying that he hears people talk about how we need someone better than Schaub, but no one is throwing any alternatives out there. Who would be better than Schaub that we can get? He is literally no better option right now. I don't think anyone thought you were actually advocating for David Carr.

That said, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on a QB earlier than R4, just to see if we get lucky.

Sig by Eaglezphan21
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

I think he's just saying that he hears people talk about how we need someone better than Schaub, but no one is throwing any alternatives out there. Who would be better than Schaub that we can get? He is literally no better option right now. I don't think anyone thought you were actually advocating for David Carr.

That said, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on a QB earlier than R4, just to see if we get lucky.

We've been debating this all off season in numerous threads. I'm the loudest about dumping schaub. But all of us know at this point there is no one to bring in. I personally would give Yates a legit shot to compete but it won't happen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: